Future MTS user: some newbie questions

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormrider66

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am new to the forum, and first of all, I want to wish you a Happy New Year.

So I'am changing my gear, not totally satisfied with modeling. I looking for a rack for preamp, and found really interesting the MTS series. So I think I'm gone buy a RM4.

I have some questions for experienced MTS users:

Is it easy to configure in midi? I already have a Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro, and what I want to do, is switching RM4 channel in MIDI, and in the same time, switching presets of my multi effects. Anybody here use a GCP with RM4? Any experience?

I have just discovered the cool world of modded modules, there is so much choice...I play Metal (Heavy/Thrash but also Prog), and I'm looking for a module that procures tight modern distortion, high gain, not too noisy.

What do you think of a 1666/Chupacabra module? Will it fit my needs? Any other?

Has anybody tried one or two RFT NOS 12ax7 tube in a high gain module? Did they improved the sound?

If someone has a RM4 for sale and can ship it to France (with or without module) please PM.

Thanks for helping.

BigBrewtus said:
http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=14562
This may be a good thread for your questions. Welcome!
Thanks for helping, some good infos here!! :wink:

I am just listening to soundclick salvation's page, and have to say that I'm very impressed by the quality of the sounds.

Angel's module sounds very very good...like some others :lol:

Do you experienced some tubes testing on modules? For saturated sound, I really like the RFT NOS tube, sounds good for Metal tones.

stormrider66 said:
BigBrewtus said:
http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=14562
This may be a good thread for your questions. Welcome!
Thanks for helping, some good infos here!! :wink:

I am just listening to soundclick salvation's page, and have to say that I'm very impressed by the quality of the sounds.

Angel's module sounds very very good...like some others :lol:

Do you experienced some tubes testing on modules? For saturated sound, I really like the RFT NOS tube, sounds good for Metal tones.
Here is another helpful thread.
http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=5606
I have tried a few tubes out for high gain. Ruby HG and HG+ are the ones
I liked the best so far. Tung-sol and ARS are really good too. Never had
The RFT's so I wouldnt know.

BigBrewtus said:
Here is another helpful thread.
http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=5606
I have tried a few tubes out for high gain. Ruby HG and HG+ are the ones
I liked the best so far. Tung-sol and ARS are really good too. Never had
The RFT's so I wouldnt know.

Thanks again :wink:

I will read this with interest.

I know about Ruby tubes, I've got some in a Krank head, then swapped them for the RFT and that was a nice improvment. If someday you want to try those ones, take a look on ebay, or (in my taste) better on the tubemonger site. Excellent tubes for mid to high gain sounds.

I have tested some NOS tubes, and the MTS modules are so perfect to make your own configuration. Not to have to think about a mix of tubes used by both, clean and gain channels like on a traditional preamp. Here you have to focus on each channel separately, the perfect toy for me.

If I'm right, there is only one tube in the RM4 that is used by all the modules, the two others are for loop effects?

I will definitely check those tubes out. Thanks. These modules are a blast!
I am sure you will feel like a kid with a new toy when you get one.
Each module has 2 preamp tubes. The RM4 has 3 preamp tubes but I am
not sure of the specs on an RM4 as I have never owned one. Have a
great time!

Cool, Ithink you won't regret buying someday a RFT NOS tube.

I don't have the RM4 yet, but from what I've heard, it seems excellent. It's exactely what I'm looking for: a piece of gear that you can use multi preamp for various tones, and with MIDI capacity. And tube sounds 8)

So if someone here wants to sell a RM4, and can ship it to France, please PM.

I'll consider all offers

Just want to chime in here about preamp tubes. I have found for any mid to high gain amp nothing beats the chinese 12ax7B tubes. JJs are too dark to me, Tung sols are great, but they are better for cleans to me they are a bit too refined for high gain. I typically start with all 12ax7Bs with a new amp, and I will put in a tung sol or two to tame the sound a bit if I need to, and the best part those 12ax7Bs are cheap!!!

GuitarGuyLP said:
Just want to chime in here about preamp tubes. I have found for any mid to high gain amp nothing beats the chinese 12ax7B tubes. JJs are too dark to me, Tung sols are great, but they are better for cleans to me they are a bit too refined for high gain. I typically start with all 12ax7Bs with a new amp, and I will put in a tung sol or two to tame the sound a bit if I need to, and the best part those 12ax7Bs are cheap!!!
Have you ever tried some NOS tubes, that are not so cheap, but can sound really really good? For clean sounds, I like the sylvania Jan.

But you are right, for theire price, those chinese tubes can be a nice deal; ever test the Golden Dragon chinese?

BigBrewtus said:
Just 6 more posts and you can list your request for a RM4 in the classifieds. Keep em coming!
yeah, cool. But There will be more posts from me, if I can find a good deal on a RM4. It's the perfect piece of gear I was looking for, I was on an idea of a GCX and putting some pedal's format preamps in the loops, but the RM4 will be exactly what I need.

I haven't tried the golden dragon, but the 12ax7b is quite often referred to the silver dragon. Gold dragon might be a gold pin version of that one or something.

I have tried a few NOS, but I just keep on coming back to the tung sol and 12ax7B mix. It sounds great, and it is cheap. I will check out the golden dragons.

Which Krank amp you have?I have a K-stein plus and love it too...couldnt bring myself to sel it even though I dig the mts stuff....For the stuff you play the Kranken would be good..or the Chupa/1666....they are the same module,the chupa just has alot more tonal variety withthe added toggles....but there are several Salvation mods that would fit the bill,you just have to find clips and do trial and error,but it is alot of fun and much more efficient than buying and selling heads....lol.....you could check into some of the others modders stuff as well....alot of option have been made available just in the last year....

stormrider66 said:
BigBrewtus said:
Just 6 more posts and you can list your request for a RM4 in the classifieds. Keep em coming!
yeah, cool. But There will be more posts from me, if I can find a good deal on a RM4. It's the perfect piece of gear I was looking for, I was on an idea of a GCX and putting some pedal's format preamps in the loops, but the RM4 will be exactly what I need.
The top stockers I would recommend when looking for modules.
Mr.Scary
XTC
Ultra XL
Blackface
I think those are a great bass modules to help you. Still depends on what
you are looking for though.

BigBrewtus said:
The top stockers I would recommend when looking for modules.
Mr.Scary
XTC
Ultra XL
Blackface
I think those are a great bass modules to help you. Still depends on what
you are looking for though.

+1 on the Blackface; and I would definitely add the Grail to that list too . . .

GuitarGuyLP said:
I haven't tried the golden dragon, but the 12ax7b is quite often referred to the silver dragon. Gold dragon might be a gold pin version of that one or something.

I have tried a few NOS, but I just keep on coming back to the tung sol and 12ax7B mix. It sounds great, and it is cheap. I will check out the golden dragons.

So an exemple of the Golden Dragon
http://www.tube-shop.com/store/proddetail.asp?ProductID=53&RelatedID=145&RelatedID2=

alowerdeep said:
Which Krank amp you have?I have a K-stein plus and love it too...couldnt bring myself to sel it even though I dig the mts stuff....For the stuff you play the Kranken would be good..or the Chupa/1666....they are the same module,the chupa just has alot more tonal variety withthe added toggles....but there are several Salvation mods that would fit the bill,you just have to find clips and do trial and error,but it is alot of fun and much more efficient than buying and selling heads....lol.....you could check into some of the others modders stuff as well....alot of option have been made available just in the last year....
It was a Krank Rev Pro Jr, but I have to return it to the sellers because there was a problem of hum noise, and also I was listening to radio fm in the cab; that happens only with these head. But the tone was great. But looking of forum, I've seen that others people have the same issue, and I stop with Krank, unfortunelly.
Salvation's mod seems, for what I heard on sample, very good, with a lot of choice. 1666/Chuca seem cool, but there are others like Angel and Markus. Not the same kind of distortionso I have time to listen to samples as much as I can, to have an overall idea.

I have to say that Blackface, Ultra XL and Grain were on my top list of Randall's originals. After that, I discovered all those cool mods and I 'll carefully listen to samples, and take your advise in consideration.

Really cool, guys , helping a newbie in the MTS world. I really appreciate that :wink:

Guys do you know if a topic has alredy been open where are listed the companies making mods for MTS modules, with their products?

I've tried with the search function, but don't find anything like this, or I may not type the good words :roll:

Latest posts