god forbid: which george lynch module do they use?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MegaGoo

Reaction score
talked to doc coyle of god forbid at a show. loved the tone. he told me he had the randall mts head and the george lynch module. since then ive realized there are more than 1

anyone know which one?

i want to trade my engl savage SE for a randall MTS setup and need more info

I'm just guessing, but I would assume it would be the MR.Scary since that the highest gain one to my knowledge. Last time I heard them God Forbid was still pretty heavy.

I read an interview with another metal bands guitar player in a magazine (can't remember the name) and he was using a Mr Scary too as his main tone. I love mine and I am not even playing metal.

how much louder can it be? It's not like you would max the voulume on a module anyway

Also, each Scary may not be identical in terms of this volume issue

we made up an mts gain list it goes like this

Clean
KH-1
Blackface
Deluxe
Super V
Tweed
JTM
Brahma
Plexi
Top Boost
Ultra Lead
SL+
Mr. Scary
XTC
KH-2
Grail
Treadplate
Modern
KH-3
Ultra
Ultra XL

wow, I haven't seen that list in a while, and I'm very surprised that God Forbid are using the Mr. Scary module, it must be boosted to hell, as it's not nearly enough high gain to hit modern metal, I'd say Ultra, Ultra XL would be the module.

In my experience the gain list is closer to this:

Clean
KH-1
Blackface
Deluxe
Super V
Tweed
JTM
Brahma
Plexi
Top Boost
Brown
Ultra Lead
Grail
Treadplate
XTC
KH-2
SL+(Current specs)
Modern
KH-3
Mr. Scary
Ultra
Ultra XL

Trust me, on a recording, they've got the gain rolled way off, and like everyone else, they make up for it with multiple note for note tracks.

his tone live was very tight and aggressive

i'm still trying to figure out if i am going to be doing the randall MTS thing. i have to get rid of my Engl first which i currently have a possible trade working out but that would get me a rivera kr7 head but i have to throw in my 5150. i was hoping to sell my Engl and be able to put together a 3 module mts head and (obviously) put 3 modules in it. i dont see any mr scary modules used on ebay. are they on here/there often? whats a ballpark for me putting together a head and 3 modules? $1200 or so?

is it a common occurance for people to build a 3-module head setup and then realize they love the setup so much they upgrade to the 4 module rack setup to gain that extra flexibility of having 1 more module?

MegaGoo said:
is it a common occurance for people to build a 3-module head setup and then realize they love the setup so much they upgrade to the 4 module rack setup to gain that extra flexibility of having 1 more module?

I had 2 RM50 combo's and almost traded one for a RM4 but instead found a RM100 locally. Personally, 3 channels is plenty for me. I gigged for years in a cover band using a single channel head set loud and clean with stomp boxes out front. I really don't think I would need 4 channels. YMMV.

. i dont see any mr scary modules used on ebay. are they on here/there often?
not as often since the new selling price spiked up to $299 last year..you can still find one, though it does seem be less often

whats a ballpark for me putting together a head and 3 modules? $1200 or so?
If you're willing to go used, you can find an rm100 with 3 basic modules for around $800- 900...last week I saw a loaded one here go for $650 shipped

dboy went that route- lugging the heavy rm100 became tiresome, he moved to the rm4 set up and loved it. Some say the heads have more mojo, others love the ultra flexible racks...I never tried the rm4 (yet)

MegaGoo said:
his tone live was very tight and aggressive

i'm still trying to figure out if i am going to be doing the randall MTS thing. i have to get rid of my Engl first which i currently have a possible trade working out but that would get me a rivera kr7 head but i have to throw in my 5150. i was hoping to sell my Engl and be able to put together a 3 module mts head and (obviously) put 3 modules in it. i dont see any mr scary modules used on ebay. are they on here/there often? whats a ballpark for me putting together a head and 3 modules? $1200 or so?

Seriously, the KR7 is an awesome head, but in no way would I ever trade an EnGL SE + a 5150 for one. With the MTS series you will get so much more than you do want just one brand of amp. This series will do any amp you can come across, sometimes better!
For $1200 you will easily be able to get an RM100 + 3 modules, with money spare to get channel's 2 and 3 modded.

its actually an engl savage se. the used value of both the engl and 5150 come to about what the used kr7 is worth

is modding typical? expensive? necessary?

MegaGoo said:
its actually an engl savage se. the used value of both the engl and 5150 come to about what the used kr7 is worth

is modding typical? expensive? necessary?

Modding is not necessary but it is common. The expense depends on what you want to have done.

What is the used Engl SE worth? I have a RM100M head that I am looking to move because I just had a unique second one land today. That puts 2 RM100's and a RM50 combo in my music room. Time to mix it up a little bit.

MegaGoo said:
engl savage se. its worth 1700 - 1900

If you sell the Engl, hit me up because I am going to need to move the RM100M. I will probably have it posted for sale this weekend once I get the chance to check out the special one that landed today.

I might only have one module to go with it but you would only need another $200 or $300 to fill the other two slots.