Good EQ for modular amps

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viet_Hetzer

Reaction score
Many people are saying that they use a equalizer in the effects loop to tighten up the sound and remove the muddiness. What's a good EQ for this? I would love something that is midi programmable but those usually cost more than a rm4. I need something simple and doesn't have an over the top price. Maybe $400?

Im using a tc eclectronic g magor. I use the eq only a little bit to ad a second sound to a module . if you are experiencing muddy sound, do the cap mod were needed because if thats the problen adding an eq wont help.

I alreday have used EQ with my RM4 and although its programmable and Midid (its a Rocktron replifex)..I am still not very happy with it.
As Eqs go..it doesnt sound as flexible as id hope for.
Any recomendations???
I want more flexibility than just a cap job, though I have had that done.

I use a Boss EQ-20. Its a big pedal but you can have two settings easily accessible. One that is programed and stored and the other is what the faders are set at. You can also store eight other settings for recall but you can't recall them with the stomp switches.

I usually use a scooped setting that is stored and then I use the faders to set what ever I need at the time for a solo boost.

Honestly for a couple hundred bucks you could get 2 or 3 eq pedals like the Dano Fish & Chips which is suprisngly awesome, or the MXR 10 band EQ and a small midi switching system and just put them on a rack shelf or on top of your amp.

Just set each pedal how you want it and then switch between them or nothing at all.

Example:

2 dano fish n chips...80 bucks or so.
Axxess Electronics GRX4 - 200 used

3 tone options, cheap, midi switchable

FYI loop is line level, most guitar pedals are going to give you tone suck big time. EQ20 as Jack mentioned is a good choice because you could set some presets for it and it has a line level or guitar level setting.

Check one out, I think you can get one used for around $100ish. The DD20 delay sounds great in our amps, as does the CE20.

Pete

If you've stuck an Orange Drop .001 in the C3 and are still getting some muddy sounds, turn your Density down, man! Take everything back to noon with the Presence and Density off and EQ again, then add those power amp controls. My RM100 is tight as a 12 year old right now and I don't run any pedals. Just a JAN 5751 in the PI, some mods that I've made to the modules (primarily upgraded components), and SED EL34's in the middle, with Sovtek 5881/6L6GC's in the outer positions.

Turn down the bass and the density. That'll clear the mud. I've got I'm running everything in front of the amp due to the fact I'm not investing money in rack gear or expensive line level pedals and just using the stuff.

Flump said:
Honestly for a couple hundred bucks you could get 2 or 3 eq pedals like the Dano Fish & Chips which is suprisngly awesome, or the MXR 10 band EQ and a small midi switching system and just put them on a rack shelf or on top of your amp.

Just set each pedal how you want it and then switch between them or nothing at all.

Example:

2 dano fish n chips...80 bucks or so.
Axxess Electronics GRX4 - 200 used

3 tone options, cheap, midi switchable

For 80 bucks you could probably get 4 Fish n chips. I got mine for like 7 dollars but that was an awesome deal.

What exactly is the issue with running pedals in an effects loop? Are they too "hot"? If so, couldn't you simply use the level control on the EQ to cut a few db's?

I sometimes use the eq's in my old alesis quadraverb in the loop of my RM100. It works pretty well for a cheap unit.

I also have an old BBE sonic maximizer that works good if you dont overuse it.

Ricey said:
What exactly is the issue with running pedals in an effects loop? Are they too "hot"? If so, couldn't you simply use the level control on the EQ to cut a few db's?

As far as I know there are no problems with running most pedals in the loop. Almost any EQ pedal, delay pedal, a lot of modulation will be just fine.

...its does offer midi programmable parametric EQ (5 bands!!!)
shoot me an email if your serious about buying or trading to get it.