Grail with a tad more gain?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven Latch

Reaction score
Hi,

I managed to get rid of nearly all ground loops in my rack, to the point where I could run even the high gain modules without the decimator on with only a minor floor hiss.

The only case where it is damaging is when I try to "clean boost" a high gain module". Here there is just to much hiss. I have a GCX with a maxon OD-9 in one of the loops and I can't get rid of the extra noise that is generated.

At this point the only high gain module that needs a clean boost is the stock Grail. The stock one just stops a little short of being enough gainy / distorted for the black album type of tone. But the tone of the Grail itself, is fine. Which of the modded modules would give me the grail with just that extra notch of gain?

Thanks for your help!

Well... I actually have a JF modded grail too. Got it on this forum a while ago and since it was second hand I am unsure of the mods it had. It does have a three way switch for the mids but I could never bond with it as it was quite far from the stock grail, to my ears only. Maybe it was tuned for the specific needs of a particular client. Somehow it did sound a little "mushy" compared to the stock. But getting the stock modded for a little more gain is probably the most obvious option I agree.

You are probably correct: base mods are always built to the specific requests of the original customer. If you think it could use a tune up to give you what you need send an email and we can discuss it.

Rob