Hello all... Need some advice for my rig...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I'm pretty new to the all-tube deal, but I finally got sick of modelling (and started making a little money), so I bought an RM100M. It was used, so someone already had picked modules for it. He picked the JTM, Grail and Dan Donegan modules...

Well, I'm pretty happy with the first two, though I could use some headroom (obviously) for the JTM, but I'm not really satisfied with the DD.

So, I'm considering getting the UltraXL, XTC and Ultra modules... I want a thick, rich distortion with lots of harmonics. The description of the DD module brags about how high-gain it is, but I'm not satisfied w/how 'dense,' I suppose, it is.

Any suggestions on which to replace with? Thanks in advance.

PS-I'm running EL34s... Also considering replacing those.

Maybe try cranking up the mids on the 1086 (DD) module and the distortion switch. The 1086 is a little scooped on the mid-range.

I've spun the knobs in every direction... I just don't really like the sound of the thing. Well, I'm not really fond of Dan Donegan's tone to begin with, which may be related. :p

But, for reference, I'm going for more of the sound from like, Marty Friedman's Loudspeaker (I know theres a huge array of tones, but none of them sound like DD)...

Since sig modules sell for a bit more than the non-sig ones, I figure I can sell it and get a new one w/out losing any money.

ok well there are a few things i could meantion at this point. the first thing i will suggest is to actually reset the bias. by changing it, it will have a pretty big change in the tone. i was quite surprised with the variety you can get by changing the bias. there's a vid on the randall mts page that gives full details on how to do that. you may want to try this before replacing the tubes. could save you some cash.

and as far as the modules go, the treadplate module will give you a really thick tone, and by taking the gain back to about 3 o'clock, you can brighten up to a point where you get some really nice tones. sounds like this could give you what you're looking for.
the ultra is a little bit messy, but if you like that dimebag tone, then it would be a good way to go. it is however a very solid state distortion, the tubes warm it up, but the gain comes from a transistor, not a tube. pretty hard to hold stop it from feeding back... great for leads though!!!