HNAD to me! RM22 in the house!!!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heyMikey

Reaction score
I finally got an RM!!!

I just took delivery on an RM22 Head yesterday. It came with a Deluxe and XTC Module. The only cab I had to try it out on was an old Peavey 412 (the old eighties tall one) of my sons. I was totally surprised by the volume this little thing puts out.

It appears to be a very well built head. Not the light weight I was expecting and the stock modules actually sounded pretty good with my Classic 57/57+ loaded Epi LP Custom.

I don't want to go crazy with mods and stuff but I would like some opinions on some of the guys "base" mods. I don't really want tricked out looking modules or anything, I like the look of the black stock ones in it now.

Congrats man! You have some cool stockers there. Ive had a few modded Deluxes and they were a ton of fun. The stock XTC is one of my favorites. Just mess around with tubes and such and it will take you far. Try a low gainer tube in V1 of the deluxe for better cleans. Im going to mess with my stock XTC tonight. Have fun :wink:

Welcome and you have 2 of the better stockers that people rave about. The SL+ & Mr Scary are 2 of the others people really dig. Most of the minimalist upgrades people have done tend to be clarity mods, warmth mods, and boost mods. I would think that any of the moders would be able to do a more extensive upgrade without altering the faceplates (push/pull pots or internal trim pots, utilize stock bright switch (or on some the mode switch for other purposes).

Before doing or getting any mod work done, I would also say experiment with different tubes & manufacturers as well. There are many extensive threads about preamp tubes, power amp tubes, and various brands affect on the tone.

good luck, keep us posted on your experimentation.

So far I like the two stock modules fine (Deluxe and XTC).

The Deluxe Module and the Boost function on the RM22 almost give you two channels. I was surprised to see level and gain adjustments for the boost on each channel.

This allows the Deluxe to cover a clean tone and a very usable crunch tone via the boost switch!

Do the other RM heads have the same boost function and controls?

I had a wild hair the other night. I was wondering if anyone thinks I might run into problems keeping my RM22 in my 6 space SKB rack case. I have some 3"-4" thick foam that some kind of medical equipment was shipped in and I have enough to completely surround the bottom, top and sides of the RM22 inside the case. It would not be hard mounted, just kind of fit tightly inside. I'd just like to be able to stack it in the equipment trailer on the way to gigs instead of having to keep it with in the vehicle.

My biggest concern is overheating although there are no vents that would be obstructed. What do you guys think?

SL+/Blackface/Mr. Scary are what I've picked up for my Lynch box. Very convincing modded-Marshall tones. I'm curious about the tones you're able to eek out of the RM22 - how's it sound at a club/gigging level?

eddyrox said:
RM22 - how's it sound at a club/gigging level?

I've only gigged with it once and it was so new to me that I used my RP500 into the effects return.

Club/ Gigging Level was not a problem at all!

Latest posts