I am thinking about a new cabinet.

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srrdude

Reaction score
So i built myself a 2x12 cabinet a while back. It works out pretty well. Its open back loaded with 8 ohm vintage30's.

I am thinking about building a new 4 speaker cabinet to place under my 212.
I feel it would be nice to round out my sound a bit more so im looking to try different speaker combinations, thinking about maybe 2x12 in plus 1x15 and 1x10 for a good bass response and a chimey top end without overpowering.

Any suggestions for speakers? I play the brutalz alot.

Check out Wharehouse Guitar Speakers website. Same quality as celestion and eminence and almost half the cost. They have many modles to suit your style. My friend just loaded an Avatar 212 with veteren 30's and it sounds great. The Veteren 30's are a vintage 30 clone. And they are American made!

I like vintage 30s and H30s in an X pattern.

Though my next cab will definitely have V30s and G12K100s in an X.

I plan on building a cab based off of the bottom half of a Framus Cobra cabinet, front-loaded with Eminence Private Jacks or Tonespotters :p

Yes Framus makes a 2x12, but it's not as deep as the bottom half of their cabs, it's only as deep at the top half of their slant cabinets, and it has V30s in it.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone here have a preference to pine, baltic birch, or some other material for their cabs? I know the baffle will be birch, but I'm wondering if birch is the best for the rest of the cab, or if pine (like the Krankenstein cab) would sound just as good (if not better) for a versatile cab aimed primarily at thrash/progressive power metal.

Shinozoku said:
I plan on building a cab based off of the bottom half of a Framus Cobra cabinet, front-loaded with Eminence Private Jacks or Tonespotters :p

Yes Framus makes a 2x12, but it's not as deep as the bottom half of their cabs, it's only as deep at the top half of their slant cabinets, and it has V30s in it.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone here have a preference to pine, baltic birch, or some other material for their cabs? I know the baffle will be birch, but I'm wondering if birch is the best for the rest of the cab, or if pine (like the Krankenstein cab) would sound just as good (if not better) for a versatile cab aimed primarily at thrash/progressive power metal.

hijack much?

Ive listend to a/bs of vintage 30's and the veterans, its pretty solid but im really liking the idea of having a mixed cab with 12s and 15(s) in it. Remember dimes warhead? He has a 4x12 cabinet and a 2x15 cabinet. I was thinking if you had 2 12 and 2 15 in an x pattern it could possibly fit in a conventional sized cabinet, but im still entertaining the idead of 2 x12 on the top (and i had considered the super v) with a 15 and a 10 on the bottom.

Anyone here have suggestions for a 15?

Once I started using a single 15 on the bottom I just can't go without it, talk about adding some balls!!!!! I started with the Randall 2 x 12 / 1 x 15 cab, then converted to a 4 x 12 with a 1 x 15 cab on the bottom. Using an Eminence Legend right now but thinking about trying the Commonwealth if I can scrape up the cash for one.

Greg

srrdude said:
Shinozoku said:

hijack much?

Ive listend to a/bs of vintage 30's and the veterans, its pretty solid but im really liking the idea of having a mixed cab with 12s and 15(s) in it. Remember dimes warhead? He has a 4x12 cabinet and a 2x15 cabinet. I was thinking if you had 2 12 and 2 15 in an x pattern it could possibly fit in a conventional sized cabinet, but im still entertaining the idead of 2 x12 on the top (and i had considered the super v) with a 15 and a 10 on the bottom.

My bad, the pirate in me is coming out ;)

But the 2x12-1x15-1x10 sounds like a great idea! Get some nice Eminence Legends in there and it sounds like you'd have a sweet monster there :) But were I trying it, I might just try to improve on the design used by Randall in their 2x12-1x15 cab. If you can fit t he extra 10 in there though, do it :D

Shinozoku said:
srrdude said:
Shinozoku said:

hijack much?

My bad, the pirate in me is coming out ;)

But the 2x12-1x15-1x10 sounds like a great idea! Get some nice Eminence Legends in there and it sounds like you'd have a sweet monster there :) But were I trying it, I might just try to improve on the design used by Randall in their 2x12-1x15 cab. If you can fit t he extra 10 in there though, do it :D

Har matey, all is well.

I think i can get a 10 in there pretty easy... 12+12 = 24 and 10+15= 25 so i should be able to stack the two, it will just be taller than a standard 4x12 cabinet but no wider.

Legends you say? for the 12's?

Well, for everything actually. Check out the Eminence website, you'll see they have a wide range of 10", 12". and 15" speakers. They have Legend series in each size, so you could find similarly voiced ones (check out their spreadsheets) and throw them all into the cab :D

Shinozoku said:
Well, for everything actually. Check out the Eminence website, you'll see they have a wide range of 10", 12". and 15" speakers. They have Legend series in each size, so you could find similarly voiced ones (check out their spreadsheets) and throw them all into the cab :D

They have a pretty good website, i was able to see the eminence 15 vs 12 a/b and the 15 has such a nice bottom end. Im kind thinking i may blow off the 10 and do 2 x15 and 2x 12 in an x pattern. I'm thinking the eminence legend 15 looks pretty solid, what 2 12's do you guys think would accent the v30s and the legend 15's?

Texas Heat's or Swamp Thang's...I've used both along side the v30's and a single 15 Legend and the setup rocked. Now I'm running the Heat's and Thang's together in a 4 x 12 without the v30's. They definitely need the 15 to balance out the sound though. Without the 15 the harshness can get outta hand if you're not careful. I'm still experimenting, got two custom built 2 x 12 cabs coming in this week and I'm going to be mixing up all my speakers again to see what I like the sounds of this month....next month it will probably change again. Always chasing tone.

gweb said:
Texas Heat's or Swamp Thang's...I've used both along side the v30's and a single 15 Legend and the setup rocked. Now I'm running the Heat's and Thang's together in a 4 x 12 without the v30's. They definitely need the 15 to balance out the sound though. Without the 15 the harshness can get outta hand if you're not careful. I'm still experimenting, got two custom built 2 x 12 cabs coming in this week and I'm going to be mixing up all my speakers again to see what I like the sounds of this month....next month it will probably change again. Always chasing tone.
+1 on the Swamp Thang's. They sound great. I dont know what they remind me of but I Like em. Ive only heard the Texas Heats one time - in a krank Cab - had to be one of the worst cabs ive ever played through.

Birch is industry standard but I do love the sound of pine [Makes your tone sound warmer than a popcorn fart}so for power progressive or thrash best to stick w/birch.

droptrd said:
gweb said:
+1 on the Swamp Thang's. They sound great. I dont know what they remind me of but I Like em. Ive only heard the Texas Heats one time - in a krank Cab - had to be one of the worst cabs ive ever played through.
I know a guy from UG who loves his Krankenstein cab with his 6505+. :?

Do any of you guys have a schematics/dimensions or "how to" resources for building a 4 x 12 cab? I have searched the web high and low and found nothing.