I really don't understand MIDI. Will these work?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warlok

Reaction score
I asked a while ago about if my Digitech RP12 would work for effects only and channel switching with my RM100. Been busy and haven't tried yet but selling some things right now and I got a trade offer for a Digitech Valve FX rack unit. This is just to play around with and I don't want to spend the money for a TC, Digitech, Rocktron, or Lexicon units I hear about on here. Being able to get this one for fun, here's my Q's..

I was going through the manuals of both and they both say the same thing in the Utilities section about "Send Program" and "Program send map". (here page 44-47 http://www.noisefx.com/images/products/digitechvalvefx_1209.pdf ). Does this mean I can use this to assign effects and change the RM100 channels with the push of a foot controller button?

Also, Can this be controlled by one of the cheaper foot controllers like the FCB1010, or Midimate, etc...

Thanks in advance..

basically, yes to both your questions. You can set up a midi foot controller like the FCB or Midimate to change fx on the Valve FX and change channels on your RM100

I have actually used the FCB1010 with my RM100 and a Digitech Studio Quad4 unit.

+1

The RM100 can receive both CC and PC messages, and will work with any controller.

So far I commanded my RM100 with an ART X11 (for sale :D) , a FCB1010 and even the midi out of a good ol' boss ME5 floor fx unit (for sale too :p )

I picked up the Valve FX tonight. Haven't touched yet. Now I need a controller pedal.. Someone has a FCB1010 with the UNO chip on CL but not e-mailing back. To the classifieds or ebay... :)

Again, I'm really new to this stuff. So please bear with me on the stupid Q's...

The pedal will be ONLY controlling the Valve FX and the Valve FX alone will be sending the signal to the RM100 to change the module, right? So I don't actually need a 'MIDI" pedal, I could use the Digitech "Control One" footswitch to control the Valve FX which would intern do the RM100 switching?? Right?? :?:

warlok said:
Again, I'm really new to this stuff. So please bear with me on the stupid Q's...

The pedal will be ONLY controlling the Valve FX and the Valve FX alone will be sending the signal to the RM100 to change the module, right? So I don't actually need a 'MIDI" pedal, I could use the Digitech "Control One" footswitch to control the Valve FX which would intern do the RM100 switching?? Right?? :?:

If I read page 45 of the online manual correctly

Yes, the valve FX will be able to send PGM changes from the Midi Out

on a sidenote:
Randall RMs can recieve pgm OR cc changes, never both at the same time

so forget trying to PGM change to slot 1 and in that patch try to CC change to slot 2, the first type of command will determine it's continued operation
(untill it's switched off)

Well, I figured in case I wanted to get a different FX unit in the future a MIDI controller would be the best bet instead of the Digitech one. I got a FCB1010 as it seems about the best bang for the buck as far as I could tell. I'm sure when I get it, the flood gates will burst open with questions..

Dumb question #2000...

While waiting for my FCB1010 and UNO eprom, I'm looking at all I'll need and how to hook it all up. FCB1010, Digitech Valve FX, RM100. I'm going to try the EQ in the Valve FX so I'm going into the serial loop to start and see how that goes.

But do I go MIDI from the FCB into the FX unit, then to the RM100, or into the RM100 then the FX? I'm thinking FCB out > RM100 in > RM100 out/thru > Valve FX in.. Is that right?

warlok said:
I'm thinking FCB out > RM100 in > RM100 out/thru > Valve FX in.. Is that right?
That's fine . . . of course assuming everything's on the same MIDI channel it could just as easily be FCB_Out -> ValveFX_MIDI_In -> ValveFX_MIDI_Out/Thru -> RM100_MIDI_In. Unless you're having latency or buffer issues (which can happen with older MIDI gear - in which case put the older gear last in the chain), it won't matter.

warlok said:
do I go MIDI from the FCB into the FX unit, then to the RM100, or into the RM100 then the FX? I'm thinking FCB out > RM100 in > RM100 out/thru > Valve FX in.. Is that right?

As long as rack unit #1 has a midi thru/out the order doesn't matter much
to keep things simple I'd suggest just follow the same path as the sound signal
In my rack that means RM4 -> MPX G2 -> RT 2/50

OK, #2001 :D
That was the original (and now back to) plan Nightdare but kept seeing people hooking it up opposite. I think it may have been that they were using a controller that was being phantom powered using the amp's MIDI (which I may mod the FCB for but not just yet).

Yes - I didn't factor that in, but any phantom power requirements will obviously play into the MIDI chain equation; just make sure the voltages and pins are correct. The RM100 actually supplies power on BOTH pins 6 & 7 AND pins 1 & 3. But what bit me was the fact that the RM100 supplies AC voltage - my Rivera Headmaster MIDI footswitch (and I have to assume others as well) requires DC voltage; so I can't use the RM100's 9 VAC to power it. I even touched base with Bruce to see if he could modify this and get me 9-15V DC on these pins, but he said there's no where to tap from.

I saw many different ways of modding the FCB for phanton power and it takes AC or DC apparently.

HughJasol said:
8) They should all be like that IMO. I think the GCP can run off of either AC or DC also . . . too bad my Rivera can't.

Dunno about that, but the GCP works perfectly with the RM4's phantom power