I'm sorry but...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mattfig said:
HughJasol said:
Mattfig said:
They run 33 bones a pop so they aren't cheap by any standard but I've decided tonight that I'd rather pool up some money and get more of these than waste my time with others...I have almost every brand of tube (non-NOS) out there...And every make...I also own a tube tester so I can know when tubes are worn....Keeps comparisons valuable...I will admit the Gold Lion 12AX7 surprisingly does NOT sound great in Module V2...Too smooth in combo with the one already in Mod V1...I'm happy with a high gain Ruby there...

Good stuff . . . I've paid $29 for quite a few JAN Philips 5751's, so $33 for a tube just as critical doesn't seem too outrageous. I'll have to try one of these Gold Lions, but from your experience it sounds like what it's paired up with it in V2 is almost as important (high-gain Ruby's you say?).

I thought I read in some earlier posts of yours that you were set on Tung-Sol (gold-pins or high-gains - can't remember which) . . . or am I confusing you with someone else? If I'm not, when (and why) did you make the switch?

Yep, that was me...I still like the Tung Sol Gold ECC803, especially a high gainer in Module V2 with a Gen in Module V1...But I also really like the Ruby 12AX7AC5HG rated for high gain...But a Gold Tung in Mod V1 is also a great choice....

I get them on Ebay from BNB tubes for 33 bucks a piece....I know Ebay is sketchy for some things and you would think tubes would be one of things to avoid but BNB has been great...They replace anything you don't like...Hell, I bought two Gold Lion EL84s for my RM22 only to have the RM22 kill them with its high plate voltage in 2 days...FYI, Gold Lion EL84s don't work too well in RM22s as they are made for lower plate voltage amps...BNB allowed me to return them and gave me a full refund....The only part that is sucky about returns is that the buyer is responsible for shipping them back...Anyway, they remember good customers and treat you very well...Can't say enough good about them...

And 33 bucks is worth every penny for theGen 12AX7...It's an obvious difference to me...Though I know that's a higher price than typical tubes..I'm glad to hear some of you are gonna try one...Can't wait to hear your thoughts on them! Maybe I'm crazy but I think they're THE BOMB!

Although I haven't bought tubes from them (or anyone for that matter) in a while, I've been a pretty loyal customer of BNB - THEY ROCK!!! Their prices on Mullard reissues and Tung-Sols are especially good. They don't seem to have nearly the selection that Doug's or The Tube Store has; but what they do have is priced significantly cheaper than the other vendors. And I agree from experience (including returns) that their customer service and communication is top-notch!