Info request on MTS gear and Egnater MOD gear

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokey

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm going through an amp quest at the moment. I've sold my latest amp which was a MESA Rectoverb. Previously, I have owned a Peavey Classic 50, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall Silver Jubilee and a VOX AC30. I have had also used at times a Soldano SLO 100 and Vintage Marshall gear. I play a PRS Custom 22, modded Les Paul Standard and Custom built Tele.

Currently the front runner is a Randall RM100 head or the Egnater MOD50(Bruce Egnater what an awesome amp builder).
A few weeks ago I played a RM100 with the PLEXI, XTC and DELUXE modules and was impressed. I went out later the same day and played a BADCAT HOT CAT 30 (Nice, but not as versatile and much more expensive).
Today I went back to the shop and played the RM100 again (with the same modules and same cabinet MTS 2x12), and it sounded crap!!!! Not the same definition as when I first played it, something was missing. I was ready to write the amp off entirely.
I then changed the modules to BROWN, GRAIL and MR SCARY.........WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The sound was incredible, so much more definition, clarity. It sounded like someone had lifted a blanket off the amp.
The guy in the shop said that he recommends that the RM100 be played through a Marshall 1960A or an Orange Quad for the best sound (don't have access to an Avatar cab).
I am looking at something for versatility in a live situation and for recording many different musical styles. So far if I go for MTS then am looking at SUPER V or BLACKFACE (Clean), BROWN (Marshall ground), GRAIL or 1086 (High gain) - for a start and am definitely considering getting modules modded.

Questions:
-Any known problems with these amps? (aside from fuse blowing issues and tolex peeling people have mentioned)
-Any info on the huge tonal change when I swapped the modules over?
-Any info on "noticeable" tonal differences between Egnater and Randall? (If i have a RM100 and MOD50 side by side running through identical cabinets, both with a BROWN module or both with EG3/EG4 module - what would be the difference)
-Any other modules you recomend looking at?
-It's hard to properly consider Egnater because I can't try them out here in Australia, any advice beside just going on soundclips and info in the Forum's
-Can anyone provide info on personally having sold/given up gear (such as what is listed below or equivilent) to go with a Randall / Egnater?

For dirty sounds, I'm after Medium to High gain tone. Think clarity and definition. (Dan Huff, Raphael (Rockstar Houseband), or rythum chunk sounds - Story of the year, Lost Prophets)
Other more expensive options I have thought of are (without the ability to test):
Bogner XTC 101B
Diezel Herbert / Einstein or VH4
Elmwood Modena M60
Hughes and Kettner Triamp (The only one I can actually test out)

Sorry for the essay. I highly appreciate any info you can provide

Cheers

Damian

you can't go wrong the rm100 i love mine as does everyone else on this forum. as far as the egnater gear goes i have never played one and only heard clips. but having played the rm100 and heard other peoples clips i don't see a difference at all really. but if you ask someone who has an egnater i'm sure they will tell egnater is far better. the rm100 gives you extreme versatility and is much more obtainable than and egnater even though both are designed the same with many of the same options the randall won't keep you waiting when you want to try different mods and other things as many people are trading and e-bay is somewhat happening for the mods as well as many dealers having the modules in stock these days . plus new signature randall mods are on the way as well the ones being out already. i love the grail and the 1086 for high gain. basically with a mts amp you have so many options from tubes to biasing to modules and modding modules and so on and so forth, i don't think you'll struggle to find the tone you're looking for. a mts amp has a bigness or fullness to the sound that most amps don't have

Latest posts