ISP Decimator: the choice for noise reduction

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tung

Reaction score
What's everyone using for noise reduction unit? I used to run a Hush unit years ago, always find they alter your tone too much.
What's the scoop on the ISP? Is the pedal version any good?
Trace at Voodoo Amp seem to recommend them highly as the choice noise reduction unit.

ISP decimator pedal....almost zero tonal change and does it's job brilliantly...can kill noise/feedback from high gainer without chopping notes.

I used many gates including hushes

Never gone back since I tried a decimator.... :)

Was using a MXR Smart Gate. Now I have a gate switch from Jaded Faith. I haven't switched on the MXR since..

Mattfig said:
I use an ISP Decimator GString and it is amazing...Simply the best, most useful noise redux made...It's truly excellent and worth every penny...
I wanted the G-string to work for me, but all of my VHT's and Mesa's have an FX loop switch I often use to kill the entire loop with one button. The G-String can't work with that scenario.

That said, the regular ISP Decimator pedal has lived permanently on my live pedal board for 4 years and isn't going anywhere. Very effective and musical with whichever rig I choose that night. It's biggest benefit isn't even feedback prevention. It's great in venues with less than ideal power that nothing else I brought can fix (Ebtech HumX, Monster Power Conditioner, etc).

The ISP decimator gets the job done and it does it well. But an alternative that i have found is the right combination of tubes. After changing my PI to a JAN 5751 and the V1 to a Tungsol 12AX7 my noise problem was mostly eliminated. There is still some noise but it doesn't bother me too much. I ended up selling the ISP to my friend in Greece.

He is trying to start up a business in pedal design and wanted to compare his design to the IPS. According to him his design won. He told me that most noise gates only mask the noise even while you play...on the other hand, his pedal completely eliminates the noise. I will be getting a custom OD pedal from him in the next couple months that will have it built in. I'll let you all know how it works out.

Anyway...ISP decimator is a great option...if you need something right now then go for it. If you could justify waiting...i think my friend can hook you up with one of his...but it might take several months. If you are interested let me know and i will contact him.

Take Care,
John

JKMV12".i think my friend can hook you up with one of his...but it might take several months. If you are interested let me know and i will contact him. Take Care said:
Please let me know what the deal is, I'm always interested in a good piece of gear :D

Jaded Faith said:
Mattfig said:
That said, the regular ISP Decimator pedal has lived permanently on my live pedal board for 4 years and isn't going anywhere. Very effective and musical with whichever rig I choose that night. It's biggest benefit isn't even feedback prevention. It's great in venues with less than ideal power that nothing else I brought can fix (Ebtech HumX, Monster Power Conditioner, etc).

Where do you have the ISP in the chain of pedals so it's most effective for cutting the noise but also for not affecting the tone?

BTW what is the difference between the G-String and the Decimator pedal?
All your responses are really helpful, thanks a lot guys. 8)

tung said:
BTW what is the difference between the G-String and the Decimator pedal?
All your responses are really helpful, thanks a lot guys. 8)

The G String has extra ins/outs so that it can be run in the loop and in front at the same time.

I've been running the Decimator for a few years and love it. Most applications don't need it, if I can control the tone without a gate that's the goal. However, when you're in a bad room and bad things start to happen, the ISP is a priceless

I put it last on my pedalboard, but haevn't really experimented with it elsewhere

The standard decimator have to be put in your FX loop to kill the noise from gain stage. May prefer put it before the spatial effects or they will be cut by the gate...

The G-string have to be wired in front of the amp AND in the FX loop. It has a sensor to detect when you are playing to gate with more accuracy.

I agree that good tubes and good gear can make the gate unuseful... until you play in a venue that got very bad power that makes your entire system humming.

I got relatively low noise with my rig at this time, but prefer keeping the decimator just in case.... :)

Not sure you understand how the ISP G-String works. It has in/out for the noise reduction part that usually goes in the loop. It also has a guitar in/out to amp loop. The process is different than all other gates or Hush because it is triggered by the guitar signal, not the noise level. This means the ISP doesn't know or care how much noise there is. When you adjust the threshold, you are setting the trigger level from the guitar. This allows you to still use some dynamics in your playing without the gate "chopping" it off as most do. It is the best noise reduction system for guitar, bar none. That is why we licensed it to build into our new Armageddon amps that will be out end of summer.

bruce egnater said:
It is the best noise reduction system for guitar, bar none. That is why we licensed it to build into our new Armageddon amps that will bo out and of summer.

That is cool! I look forward to trying it out.

bruce egnater said:
It is the best noise reduction system for guitar, bar none. That is why we licensed it to build into our new Armageddon amps that will bo out and of summer.

thanks so much for the input, Bruce. I stopped using Hush units years ago because they just messed with the tone too much. But i heard a lot of positive things about the ISP. can't wait to stick it in my RM100.
Looking forward to the Armgeddon, the name is bad *** :twisted:

Big +1 on the ISP. I used one in my RM100 series loop for ages and it did the trick. However when I started using an OD in front of the amp it was too noisey with the amp gain and the OD even with the ISP. So I bought a second ISP and put it after the OD in my chain and it is dead quiet even at high volume! I suppose a G String pedal would do the same, or the Pro Rack G.

raz311 said:
Big +1 on the ISP. I used one in my RM100 series loop for ages and it did the trick. However when I started using an OD in front of the amp it was too noisey with the amp gain and the OD even with the ISP. So I bought a second ISP and put it after the OD in my chain and it is dead quiet even at high volume! I suppose a G String pedal would do the same, or the Pro Rack G.
thanks for the tip.
I'm looking for one right now, if anybody is selling a used one, PM me 8)

bruce egnater said:
Not sure you understand how the ISP G-String works. It has in/out for the noise reduction part that usually goes in the loop. It also has a guitar in/out to amp loop. The process is different than all other gates or Hush because it is triggered by the guitar signal, not the noise level. This means the ISP doesn't know or care how much noise there is. When you adjust the threshold, you are setting the trigger level from the guitar. This allows you to still use some dynamics in your playing without the gate "chopping" it off as most do. It is the best noise reduction system for guitar, bar none. That is why we licensed it to build into our new Armageddon amps that will be out end of summer.

Understood 100%. However, when using it with amps that have switchable series loops (examples being my VHT Sig X, Pittbull, Mark V and Rectoverb I modded to a series loop) the gate no longer worked when the loop was switched off. It was identical to what would happen if my standard ISP was placed in the loop (ie: the pedal is switched out of the signal chain and has no effect when the loop is switched off). It was extremely odd to me and not the results I was expecting at all. I spent quite some time trying to get a workaround in place for those amps and spoke to ISP about it (I was managing a store that was an authorized dealer) with no luck . In the end I continued to use my standard ISP and it still serves me well to this day.