ISP Decimator: the choice for noise reduction

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jaded Faith said:
bruce egnater said:
In the end I continued to use my standard ISP and it still serves me well to this day.

Rob,
How are you running your ISP now? in front or after your pedals? Obviously you're not running it in the loop.

I have always ran my standard Decimator in front of the amp, last in line before the input, with excellent results. I am not a gain freak. I seek a lot of clarity and note definition and use a lot of color chords with 7ths and 9ths in my rhythm playing. I basically only use it in two situations. If the power is bad and I can't clean in up with a Monster power conditioner or Hum X or at gigs where I turn up more than normal to gain a little extra control. It's super musical and by far the best product I have seen for noise control.

For reference, here is my typical live signal chain:

Guitar - X2 wireless - Wah - Volume - Clean Boost - ISP - Amp - Loop send - Tremolo - Chorus - Flanger - Delay - Reverb - Loop Return

Jaded Faith said:
For reference, here is my typical live signal chain:

Guitar - X2 wireless - Wah - Volume - Clean Boost - ISP - Amp - Loop send - Tremolo - Chorus - Flanger - Delay - Reverb - Loop Return

thanks, Rob. your info is greatly appreciated.

I use a stereo ISP rack unit with my two RM50 combos. Best purchase I've made in years! Some of these MTS high gain modules can get pretty noisy. The ISP makes it a total non-issue. I highly recommend them.

I tried the current prototype of the Armageddon at the L.A. Amp Show last October and was blown away! I thought it was by far the best sounding high gain amp at the show. If they made it in a 50 watt 1x12 combo I'd probably buy one.
Jace

bruce egnater said:
Not sure you understand how the ISP G-String works. It has in/out for the noise reduction part that usually goes in the loop. It also has a guitar in/out to amp loop. The process is different than all other gates or Hush because it is triggered by the guitar signal, not the noise level. This means the ISP doesn't know or care how much noise there is. When you adjust the threshold, you are setting the trigger level from the guitar. This allows you to still use some dynamics in your playing without the gate "chopping" it off as most do. It is the best noise reduction system for guitar, bar none. That is why we licensed it to build into our new Armageddon amps that will be out end of summer.
" I am a pateint boy, I wait, I wait, I wait I wait"

I run my g-string decimator in the series effects loop,but when threshhold is high it cuts the sustain way down,when it's low sustain is fine but hiss is higher.I keep it at around11:00 both threshhold dials

+1 on the Decimator G String. I have it first in the loop and last in line in the front (per instructions and ISP FAQ page). Works great for high gain or low gain (Single coil) with slight adjustment. Even works great playing a 335 style guitar standing in front of a 4X12 blasting a Gigmods Brown preamp. Awesome!

No doubt I wanted it to work, trust me. When I tried it on amps without switchable Series loops it was amazing. But alas, all my main gigging amps are switchable and it's a feature I won't gig without. Nothing like having 2-3 effect on and being able to kill the entire loop in one stomp live.

Have u considered using a loop switcher? You cound use the gstring after the loop switcher and still turn off all the fx with one stomp!

If it's good enough for the man who designed our amps, then it is good enough for me!

tung said:
raz311 said:
Big +1 on the ISP. I used one in my RM100 series loop for ages and it did the trick. However when I started using an OD in front of the amp it was too noisey with the amp gain and the OD even with the ISP. So I bought a second ISP and put it after the OD in my chain and it is dead quiet even at high volume! I suppose a G String pedal would do the same, or the Pro Rack G.
thanks for the tip.
I'm looking for one right now, if anybody is selling a used one, PM me 8)

I just picked up the g String version to run with my Diamond Phantom (sold the RM100 a while back). Will try it out tomorrow hopefully.

Just wanted to add this: I fellow gear hog and I recently got together....We combined our gear into one room....Marshall, Orange, Fender, Mesa, Randall, Egnater, Vox, Matchless, Splawn and one I can't remember....Anyway, the thing that caught the most attention during the demos? The lack of noise and the fact the dynamics were unaffected...G String Deci....The greatest...