JF Modded Mr. Scary not cutting it

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Econ

Reaction score
Guys:

I recently purchase a JF modded Mr Scary module and after playing for a while with it, I'm finding it gives me very very little sustain when I use the high strings. I'm using an RM 22 with a 1x12 Port City os cab with no effects in the loop or in front of the amp. My guitar is a Charvel Pro Mod So Cal with Dimarzio Tone Zone and Evolution pickups. When I use the low strings I get a great distortion sound. Ver clear and articulate. But when I try to solo on the high strings, the notes barely sustain. If I turn the RM 22 Presence knob past noon-1 o'clock, the sounds starts to get too harsh/brittle.

How can I fix this? If I added a distortion/overdrive pedal to boost the amp, will I get the sustain I'm lacking right now? What do you think? I place an order for a Voodoo Amps Plexi module with the Deluxe HG-Jose mod. Is is a matter of the module and adding a pedal in front of the amp wont help get better sustain from the high strings?

As always your opinions are well appreciated.

sounds like a guitar set up issue more than a module...did you try other hi gain modules to eliminate that issue?

The guitar's setup is fine. I use it with another rig and it rips.

Are you using any noise suppressor in the loop or anything like that? That will def affect sustain if set too high? Might be in the effects loop of the randall and it is killing your sustain. If it is the harshnes of the high notes it probably is those EL84's.. remember they add more hard end and don't have the compression qualities that EL34's have.

I think Not^^

Narrow down all the variables- you say it rips in another rig- same cords/pedals/speaker cabinet? If you're running a bunch of stuff (pedals/racks) before the amp and in the loop, toss it all out and go guitar>cord>amp>speaker cab. Try different modules. Try changing the tubes in the modules. Once you have eliminated every possible other variable and the problem still exists, then I'd send it to Jaded faith to get a look at it. My JF Scary was a viscous beast that had no such issues.

There is really no reason the Scary should lack any sustain, particularly on some strings and not others. In my experience, those things can almost always be solved by adjusting pickup height or pole pieces for the rig in question. The suggestion about eliminating variables or trying the modular head into the same components as the other sustaining rig is a good one as well. If all that fails, try replacing the tubes in the module and try another guitar. If you have the same results, it can always come back to the shop to make sure it isn't damaged/broken (those things can happen in shipping).

Mke sure that something in the chain does not have the output or input levels tuened down.

After 30+yrs, numerous guitars and amps, I agree with JF's thoughts. Lack of sustain, especially only on some strings, is usually guitar setup, or signal chain.
Even after all this time, I was really unhappy with the last couple of amps, and even the Peavey 3120 which I have now and RIPPED in the store.
checked the EFX units, pickups, etc.... couldn't figure it out.

Well when I moved stuff around, the output level of the wireless unit got turnd down below halfway.
Turned that up and everything woke back up.
Bad/old cables can be serious tone suckers too, so check those.
But do plug straight in and check that first, if still a problem it's pickup related or potentially input jack connection point.

:(
Sorry you are having a hard time with the module. I never had a problem with sustain. It sounded great, just wasnt what I was looking for.

Has to be something in the chain.... or maybe swap out the preamp tubes in the Scary for other ones//...Might be a defective 12AX7.
I have a JF modded Scary and it rips as you say

Perhaps I should just buy new tubes for the amp. Could someone please recommend a please where I can purchase some new tubes?

Econ said:
Perhaps I should just buy new tubes for the amp. Could someone please recommend a please where I can purchase some new tubes?

In a pinch and need it quick- Guitar Center..they have GT's though...

Online- there are quite a few-

www.tubedepot.com
www.eurotubes.com
www.dougstubes.com

also the tubestore...Like I said, there are quite a few and I am sure other folks here will recommend others. Eurotubes only sells JJ's though. Try to swap a few around between your amp and module first- Or pull some 12ax7's from your other rig if they are working- I would do this before ordering all new tubes.

I use Tube Depot .. They also sell high gain JJ 12ax7's. For power tube tone the JJKT77's are very cool as well as the KT66 Gold Lion reissues..

Latest posts