JF S.T.E.P. Pedal-MTS loop has never sounded this good

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LunatiBSW

Reaction score
image_zpse6dd9454.jpg

Just got Robs new magical S.T.E.P pedal.
I didn't know my carbon copy delay could sound that amazing through my rm100. Wow! Clear, lush, best of all, no tone suck.
I can set up the pedal to either:

I can pre-engage my delay and reverb, (turn them on) but it doesn't turn on the effect until I stomp on the STEP pedal. I can set the pedal to be equal in volume, to where it just basically "turns on" the pedal loop,
(Basically a footswitch loop on/off)

Or

Give it a nudge more level and it gives you a lead boost as well as "turns on" the fx loop.

Genius, I bought this thing thinkin it had a couple features, but I got a Swiss Army knife of things I really didn't even know I needed.

Also it has a treble booster for a smidge more high end if you run long cables or lots of pedals.

Thanks Rob!

That is cool! I've been using the TC nova, not bad....But I miss my Boss DD6 sound also. Just doesn't like the loop. That pedal sounds like a must have!

Nice pedalboard btw!

I'm dying to get one. Just can't justify the expense heading into xmas.

It would be awesome to run whatever pedals you want in the loop instead of having to search for gear with massive headroom.

I just got the isp pro rack g, and the step pedal is literally transparent if you set it that way, I have it set as an effects on/off (with slight boost to the signal) all in one click if the effects are pre engaged.
Very badass! My rm100 has never sound this great!

How does this pedal work? I got mine today and still cant get a clean sound with my module volumes past 3. I ran the amp send to the input and the amp return to the amp return jack. I plugged a patch cord into the "to pedals" and patched it right back to the "from pedals." The pedal seems to ddistort on its own. Doesnt work any better than the ebtech unless I am not understanding how to use it.

I'll be watching this thread! I am still trying to determine whether or not I want to buy one of these or just get a line level delay that works in the loop. Horrible horrible sounding loop Randall. Shame on you.

I think you got the connections correct, but just in case:

FX SEND: Connect to the amps Send jack
FX RETURN: Connect to the amps Return jack
TO PEDALS: Connects to the first pedal in your chain
FROM PEDALS: Connects to the output of the last pedal in your chain

The switch should be set to LOOP for this application. You should set the level knob so that unity or a slight boost is achieved (I like this for use as a lead boost) when you toggle the pedal on/off. Beware of cranking it too high, as you can overdrive the amps return buffer and power section in a bad way. It has 38dB of return gain boost, which is a lot.

The BOOST position is if you simply want to use it as a clean boost in front of the amp or in the loop as a lead boost without pedals. It will deactivate the pedal send/return loop. In this application, you must start with the level all the way down and slowly bring it up. Particularly if it's being used as a solo boost in the loop. It will not require a high setting at all for a significant level boost.

If you follow all of the above and there is still a significant distortion going on there has to be something wrong with the STEP pedal and I'll need to look at it. It's a far cleaner and more transparent effect than the Ebtech. Give me a call or email if that's the case and I'll get you taken care of.

Rob

With my Vybe deluxe, I get crystal clean tones with effects. I even have the pedal setup for a slight level boost when I engage it and it still stays clean as ever.
I had to really think about my setup and tweak from what I originally thought to get it right. But this pedal has made my mts setup better than I could have ever imagined.

I used to have an ebtech lls, it did suck tone and required me to need to turn up the amps master quite a bit.
Now I'm getting pure tone, and dont even have to crank the amp, made the amp much louder and clearer.
Best of luck, i know every setup is different, but I'm glad I've finally got mine going flawlessly and it oozes tone!

To expand on what Brandon said, there is a vast range of ways to use this and there are no suggested presets as a result. The setting of the Boost knob is a direct function of where the module and amp Master volumes are set. It's a completely variable and they go hand in hand. Do keep that in mind, it's useful info.

I think mine has an issue. Its either the step pedal or the amp. Rob I may give you a call tomorrow and try to sort it out.

Well, fairly certain there is a problem with my amp. I plugged the "fx return" output of the STEP into another "clean" amp instead of into my return on my amp. TOTALLY CLEAN. Plugged it back into my amp....distorted and ugly.

Tried a new tube, didn't help. That is a 12AX7 in the effects loop tube slot right?

My return jack also started acting squirrelly. Have to plug the cable in about 1/2 way to get any signal in. If I plug it in all the way it does not make contact. This problem just started yesterday. UGGGH.

Anyways, for those looking at the STEP I set it up as a boost in front of the amp, and it works splendidly in that function. Very powerful and clean. I expect the effects loop function works just as well with a properly functioning amp.

This effects loop is on my last nerve, people. Those that remember, I have been posting about this problem for 1 year or so.

mrtatemyballs said:
Well, fairly certain there is a problem with my amp. I plugged the "fx return" output of the STEP into another "clean" amp instead of into my return on my amp. TOTALLY CLEAN. Plugged it back into my amp....distorted and ugly.

Tried a new tube, didn't help. That is a 12AX7 in the effects loop tube slot right?

My return jack also started acting squirrelly. Have to plug the cable in about 1/2 way to get any signal in. If I plug it in all the way it does not make contact. This problem just started yesterday. UGGGH.

Anyways, for those looking at the STEP I set it up as a boost in front of the amp, and it works splendidly in that function. Very powerful and clean. I expect the effects loop function works just as well with a properly functioning amp.

This effects loop is on my last nerve, people. Those that remember, I have been posting about this problem for 1 year or so.

Definitely sounds like you have some sort of an FX Loop issue. Try and send Rob an email, but you may have to send it in to him to resolve the issue.

Have you tried spraying a good contact cleaner onto a cable end and working the jack with it a couple times? If not, please do and report back. If the jack is broken and won't seat properly, well that's a different story .

OK, will try it next time I am off work. I have a brand new can of de-oxit burning a hole in my desk.