JF VHT landed today

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyeball987

Reaction score
I only had a few minutes with it so far. I will continue to add what I find here as I get to rock it a little more.

First impressions: I had a stock SL+ and JF Brahma loaded up along with the VHT and set them all the same. The VHT was not as bright, smoother, and had a nice midrange notch in there somewhere that fills in some freq's that I am not hitting with the others. The SL+ and Brahma would cut a little bit better set up they way that they are right now but I will continue to fool around with the VHT.

The problem I have is that I tend to dial everything in to sound very similar so I am hoping that the VHT will keep that midrange thing going on no matter where I set it. Anybody else have one of these?

Hey man,

I have one...Hopefully about to sell it actually...But not because I don't like it...I have the same problem of dialing everything in similiar ways...The VHT will fit really well into your setup...It'll fill in where the others can't....It's tight and dry overdrive makes the EQ very usable...

Best of luck with it!

Mattfig

Swapped the JJ in V2 of the VHT for a Tung Sol. Really seemed to open it up a bit. Seems to have more gain while retaining the smooth tone and mid thing going on. I am going to keep the JJ out of there.

I love this module. It doesn't get mentioned much, but it is killer!

I'm running mine as folows;

RM 100 W/ JJ E34L outside (40 mv), JJ 6L6 inside (34mv)
JF VHT W/ NOS Marconi V1 Ruby (chinese) V2

Gain 12 'o' clock
Bass Fraction before 12 'o' clock
Middle 2 'o' clock
Treble Fraction past 12 'o' clock

I am Legion said:
I love this module. It doesn't get mentioned much, but it is killer!

I'm running mine as folows;

RM 100 W/ JJ E34L outside (40 mv), JJ 6L6 inside (34mv)
JF VHT W/ NOS Marconi V1 Ruby (chinese) V2

Gain 12 'o' clock
Bass Fraction before 12 'o' clock
Middle 2 'o' clock
Treble Fraction past 12 'o' clock

That is close to how I have mine set up. I have 34L's and 6550's in my RM100KH. I have the mids at about 3:00 and then hit the front end with a clean boost for going over the top.

Yeah, that seems to work for me at the moment. Sounds awesome in a band mix.

BTW, which tubes do you have in yours? I'm doing a little bit of experimenting at the moment with some NOS Marconi & Mullard's I picked up recently. So far, so very good!

I am Legion said:
Yeah, that seems to work for me at the moment. Sounds awesome in a band mix.

BTW, which tubes do you have in yours? I'm doing a little bit of experimenting at the moment with some NOS Marconi & Mullard's I picked up recently. So far, so very good!

I a Ruby in V1 and a Tung Sol in V2.

I'm sure you guys have seen me rave about this module before; Rob (JF) built the first one for himself, modeling it after his VHT 50ST lead channel just for fun; he built the second one for me and added the noisegate and converted the bright switch to a low freq cap switch (tight and loose). I run it tight.
I always liked the tone of the stock KH3 but was light on the gain/sustain. The VHT mod maintains the mid freq punch and pick attack, but adds loads of gain. So you end up with the articulate character of a KH3 but don't have to squeeze the crap outta your neck to get great feedback and sustain.
As for tubes, I really like ECC83's in V1 for all my modules; AX7's in V2 for the high gainers; JJ's in both although I haven't experimented much. Not sure if I could tell the difference at stage volume but who knows, I may try some others for fun one day.
All I can tell ya is when I kick in the lead channel it just roars; very responsive to both wah and whammy pedals (which is all I use), and sustained notes swell into feedback beautifully.

JF can tell ya that I drove him nuts in my quest for the perfect lead tone for my style, and this one nails it.

I was just trying a few new settings last night and stumbled across this:

Gain - To taste
Bass - 4 o clock
Middle - Max
Treble 2 o clock
Level - To taste

Bright switch on.