JJ6l6 to Svetlana 6550C

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylendm

Reaction score
Well I'm going to be buying a quad of these in 3-5 days. What differences would i hear by getting these?

I just ordered a quad of Svetlana 6550 for my RM100KH from Dougs Tubes. I'll let you know.

Julia said:
Turn the bias pots anti-clockwise before you fire up the amp to bias for the first time.

Good advice, dude :wink: Don't want to to fire that baby up at 500 mva. lol

You need to remove the tube retaining clips....don't forget to put the screws back in afterwards though as they provide strain relief.

Just ordered them. Should be here in 4-5 days. I'm scared since the only tube i've ever used in these amps have been JJ6l6s. Both my RM50 and RM100 used them. Hopefully the tone will be nice and fat :).

Ok now that I've had a few days with the 6550Cs... Huge difference for the better. These tubes make the overall tone much thicker fatter tone and there seems to be a good smoothness. I recommend these to anyone that plays heavier stuff. Svetelana 6550C FTW!!!!

I've had them in since 9/1. Check your bias every week for a bit. Bias these around 40 mV to start and see how they balance out.

The tone will be a little fatter than the 6L6s. The 6550Cs break up nicely even at moderate levels, and I have the late distortion variety. They will still cut through a mix very well. I don't find them harsh.

I actually think they're smooth. There is still a healthy growl to the amp but nothing harsh. Much better amp with these tubes.