JTM stock vs slightly modded - clips!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okstrat

Reaction score
This is a lot like what I did for Tommy's XTC... I changed component TYPES but left the values alone. Some people will say this makes no difference whatsoever. I say BS. :)

A few things to consider before we go to the clips... I recorded this with a very low buck (yet decent sounding to my ears) rig. Then it was converted to digital with a stock sound card, then converted to MP3, and God only knows what you guys are listening to it on. :) It's missing a lot of the nuances that you're going to hear in person, yet you can still hear a difference. It's not night and day because again, I'm NOT changing out values of parts, just type.

For those who like such things, here's my signal path:

Ibanez 570RG with a ToneZone pickup in the bridge. Cable to RM100, EL34 ruby power tubes. The JTM modules are both new - one is modded, one is bone stock. I did swap the preamp tubes between modules, they were stock EHs. Cab used was a JCM800 w/75 watt celestions, SM57 miked straight on, about 1" outside edge of where dust cap is. That went to an M-audio audiobuddy preamp, into stock HP sound card. Tracks recorded into Adobe Audition, then I used reverb and compression/limiting in Ozone 3 (saved a preset, and used same one on both clips). All controls on JTM modules were dimed, so I couldn't be 'off' a little on one or the other.

Enough excuses... here are clips:

http://members.cox.net/vht50/stockJTM.mp3

Stock has a nice loose overdrive, A little harsh on the top end. Sounds good to me, just kinda like a tube amp about to explode.

http://members.cox.net/vht50/moddedJTM.mp3

It's close, but after listening to them several times I hear a little less harsh high end hash on the modded, *but* more highs. You can hear my hand squeak more prominently on the modded than the stock (about 4 seconds in), and it's not just crappy technique on my part on the modded clip.

Low end is a little woofier on the modded, but that can be 'fixed' by changing values on C3, and the mids are a little more dimensional on the modded than stock. The stock one is a little scoopier and a bit flatter to my ear... not as many frequencies swirling about.

Please note that in person the difference is more prominent. No, a JTM isn't going to sound like an XTC by changing out the stock values for better parts, but you can get a little better tone.

Next step is to start modding the JTM for real... :)

Pete

Nice - I can hear the difference, faint - but it is there - I agree a recording compared to in person, just aren't the same.

I'm bummed that I missed out on the Music123 deal and then the one I found for 40 supposedly "was sold out" :( If anyone got lucky with two JTM's on the Music 123 I'll gladly buy it from you with a little more $ then what you put in.

I like both sounds. I am surprized at the amount of distortion that JTM can produce. I am used to hearing clips that are cleaner than that.
I dont own a JTM..but I am thinking about it.
I would like to have my plexi do higher gain(distortion, like 30%)
and SL+ have mids that can be sucked down (by approx 15dbs).

any ideas? -George

I can attest first hand to the difference, Pete did the swap on my JTM ($40 Music 123) and I don't regret it for a second. He also did a gain boost on the bright switch which is very cool. I can't remember if there was anything else. Bottom line, it's the business.

I go back and forth about whether to use the module with a couple of 12AT Mullards for clean into crunch, but it also sounds great with a pair of JAN/Phillips for a really nice crunch tone. Sounds great with singles or HB. I'm really curious to try it with P90s but I don't have a guitar with those anymore.

Robert

Definitely can hear the difference. More clarity and definition, an increase in presence, would stand out better in a mix. All the best! Pat L.

So did you use metal film capacitors and resistors? I am not trying to find out specifics, but the general idea of the mods you did. Thanks.

jmgruber said:
So did you use metal film capacitors and resistors? I am not trying to find out specifics, but the general idea of the mods you did. Thanks.

Nope and nope.

Pete

Latest posts