KH3 vs. Ultra XL

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Detroit ABA

Reaction score
I am a new RM 100 owner and I have the KH-3 but I am wondering if the Ultra XL would get me closer to a 5150, Krank Krankenstein sound vs. the KH3? Is it fair to say the KH3 is more Mesa inspired?

The Ultra XL is nearer the 5150 than the KH3 which is more Mesa meets VHT/Fryette with a hint of Marshall thrown in.

If you really want to get closer to the 5150 tone you might want to send a module to Salvation mods for his excellent S1S0 module.

I am Legion said:
The Ultra XL is nearer the 5150 than the KH3 which is more Mesa meets VHT/Fryette with a hint of Marshall thrown in.

If you really want to get closer to the 5150 tone you might want to send a module to Salvation mods for his excellent S1S0 module.

+1. Another great mod for the Ultra XL is Kyle's Dragon mod, although you'd have to pick up a used one cause he's not currently making them (he should be in the not-too-distant future, though). It can get spot-on In Flames tone, and it's versatile enough to even get decent cleans and remarkably good bluesy tones.

Detroit ABA said:
I am a new RM 100 owner and I have the KH-3 but I am wondering if the Ultra XL would get me closer to a 5150, Krank Krankenstein sound vs. the KH3? Is it fair to say the KH3 is more Mesa inspired?

Yep,if you want the ferocious Kstein tone look no firther than teh Salvation Kranken......Its 90-95% there(I have both) and teh s1s0 is killer as well... I know Jaded Faith has a 5150 as well,but haent heard it.....

alowerdeep said:
Detroit ABA said:

Yep,if you want the ferocious Kstein tone look no firther than teh Salvation Kranken......Its 90-95% there(I have both) and teh s1s0 is killer as well... I know Jaded Faith has a 5150 as well,but haent heard it.....
Drewviv was gonna do a comparison between JF's 5150 and the S1S0 a while back but I haven't heard anything else from it. Maybe he'll stop in and share his experiences :D

Shinozoku said:
Drewviv was gonna do a comparison between JF's 5150 and the S1S0 a while back but I haven't heard anything else from it. Maybe he'll stop in and share his experiences :D

I really should. :oops:

Sorry, I've been so busy with work, weddings, Vegas, etc.

I'm hoping to have some time over the summer, but I cannot guarantee anything.