kt77s in a RM100?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morbidalex666

Reaction score
Anyone tried KT77s in their RM100?
I know that these are interchangable with el34s in many cases but not all.
Would they offer sth to the sound? I currently use 6l6GCs.

Well, from what I've read on the Marshall forums about the KT77s they're nothing to write home about. They lack character.

I did when I had one, but they weren't as good as the EL34L's or TS EL34B's in my rig. I also tried some in my VHT and ditched them for the EL34B's. Kinda missed something in the mids and the bottom was too round (6L6 like) for me. Not tight enough for my likes. YMMV of course.

Thanks for the responce guys and gals but what about compatibility?
I once put a duet of kt77 in the outer positions of my mesa mkiv (which accepts el34s and 6l6s) and the amp produced strange noises.
I thought this was bad, I changed back to el34s and sold the kt 77s.
Will I have similar problems in my RM100?

I have KT77s, haven't tried it yet...there is a bias # to dial it in properly on these mts amps

You can use any power tube out there in your amp except EL84's (you will need a socket adapter like a Yellowjacket) and 6V6's HAVE to be JJ's to stand the plate voltage. Aside from that, you can put anything you want in there and just make sure you put pairs together (inner and outer sockets) if you mix tube types (such as 6L6's and KT77's together) and bias from zero everytime you change tubes (video is on the Randall website).

I have some tung sol 6v6s that I am using- sounds great in the rm50. Am I in danger of
blowing the tubes (which I don't care)
and/or
damaging my head (I do Care)

what about kt88 tubes? i have some that i bought for an amp i have since sold, but then found out it was a major hassle to get them working. so i still have them new in the box

eddie

well this might have answered my questions just fine

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=595&start=30&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=