Leaving the world of Eleven rack for an RM4

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

altspeed

Reaction score
Good morning, gentlemen (are there any ladies on this forum?) As the subject line reads, I'm re-entering the world of/quest for real tone. As much fun as the Eleven rack was, the tone through an amp (a Carvin TS100 and a Genz Benz G-Plex 2x12) doesn't cut it for me (and I can tell you all would feel the same way!)
The thing I DID like about the Eleven rack was: it's super quiet, it's all-in-one, and the effects could be chained to your liking.
This leads me to my first inquiry: How are you guys set up, effects-wise? Anybody using a multi-effects unit? I was looking at the TC electronics Nova system and even the Line 6 M9, as I don't feel like buying 10 pedals again (that's why I went to the 11), but with these systems, it's either everything in front of the preamp or it's in the effects loop and you lose the use of the distortion/drive effects (at least that's how I read it). Do you guys even use distortion boxes with the Randall system???
Thanks in advance for your feedback. I hope this post isn't too far off-topic, and I can't wait to start this new quest.
BTW, anybody using a Carvin TS100 as a power amp for their Randall, or should I sell that, too?

First off, welcome to the forum and the world of MTS. You will not regret you decision!

I have used every possible combination of effects with the modular gear and currently use the M13. The only issue that you can experience is that loops in the RM amps run too hot for most pedals. Something like an Ebtech Line Level Shifter would be needed if you ever go the pedals route. Rack multi units work fine. The M13 sounds fantastic with all 4 of my MTS rigs and affords you several perks based on your inquiry:

- It runs in the hotter loops without the need for the LLS.
- You can go 4-cable with it and run whatever you want in front of the amp and the rest in the loop for full flexibility.
- Should you ever want to use a pedal, it allows you to add them in it's own loop.
- It sounds fantastic and gives you the flexibility and ease of using pedals.

I do keep a Maxon TS-9 that I love on my board for the front of the amp and run the M13 in the loop.

Hope that helps.

Rob

If you can find any Multi FX that support the 4 cable method (4CM) you can load the front and the loop of the amp differently
(it comes down to the FX unit having its own FX-loop that you can 'insert' anywhere in the unit's signalchain)

TC Electronics G-system
Digitech GSP series
Boss GT/ME series (don't know if they all have it)

Even my old Boss GX700 and Lexicon MPX G2 have the ability

I recently made the same change you are making right now. I am currently having a lot of fun with an RM22 and an RM50. I also am currently using a Line 6 M13 and a M9. I originally got the M13, and loved it, but it is on the large side. I picked up the M9 for live use and it's effects take me everywhere I want to go. I thought about selling the M13, but it has a permanent home in my studio...so it's a win/wind for me.

I use the Rocktron Intellifex currently. It sounds great in the loop of my RM4. Eventually I will jump into the GSP1101 or similar rack unit as I want to get rid of everything off my pedalboard except the midi control pedal. Currently the only module I find a need to use a boost or screamer/od for is the Brahma. But I have that module setup for a clean tone & slight break up when really digging into the strings, so my boost pedal goes unused currently for the most part.

I am coming from an Axe FX II, so I share some of your experiences in this regards. I just got a LIne 6 POD HD500 to use for effects, but to also use as an amp backup, in case I have amp issues at the gig. The big difference with the HD stuff is that they include Line 6's new amp modeling stuff. They do include all of the M-Class effects (from the M13 for example), but are in a different form factor. I also owned an M13 on my first mts go-around, and was really happy with the quality of its effects. Both of these units can be run in the 4CM, so you can have some effects in front of the amp and others in the loop

Wow-thanks, everybody! I'm glad there's a solution (I was confident many of you would have answers).

It's comforting to know there are others out there who tried the full-on modeling approach but returned to the real thing.

Great forum! I'm sure it will become part of my daily morning routine.

All the best,

I just picked up a Nova System yesterday. I'm still learning how to use it, it's nowhere near as idiot proof as my RP500 :). It's going into the parallel loop of the RM50 head I have.

You can still use stomp boxes through the front of the amp without any trouble. Right now, the only module in that head is the SL+, so I'm using a boost to make it a little ballsier. If I was running the Ultra XL in there, I wouldn't need a boost, so it just depends on the module...I would expect there are a few others out there that I don't think I'd need to boost.

I have an Ultra XL, but right now that's in the RM20. I've got a couple more modules on the way, so at some point the other slot will be filled with a JF Mark X.

BTW, I'm running the RM50 into G-flex 2x12. That's a great sounding combination to me.

If you still have your 11R you could use it for effects with the 4CM (the effects loop block then becomes a preamp block).

I use a Digitech GSP1101 with 4CM and it works like a charm! I'm looking towards getting a POD HD Pro soon for more flexibility. :)

Hey Alt speed

Guilty as charged .lol
I have just returned to MTS from the Fractal Axe fx 2.
For the money and tone MTS just wins .Then add all the options from the modders

funny i was just thinking of switching to eleven rack from an RM100, need something that's more portable.

i've thought about it, anyone wanna trade an rm100 for a rm4?? Either one i'd have to build a small power amp.

I use a 4 space rack with a RM4, Gmajor, and a Mesa 20/20 power amp. It's been great for gigs. I take a 2x12 cab or a 4x12 for bigger shows. Plug in the cabinet and a midi buddy mid pedal and I'm ready to go. Set up and tear down is pretty fast.

I have an rm20, rm4, rm100KH, and an 11R
The 11R sounds awesome 2cables through the rm100KH loop, but sometimes does odd things and fails. I unplug/plug and it sometimes it works again (?) Probably a frustration waiting to happen at a live show with no CPU 11R interface to help. I never could get the 4cm method to work, but even if I could, I'd be concerned about depleting the signal by going ADADA. Back when I played often live, I hated the extra loop cables and did not like trying to properly line up time based fx with my erratic drummers. Gets unclear anyway, so I went Wah, Whammy, OD, Phaser into the front of the Amp. YMMV

The 11R>rm4> sounds great for di tones when family is sleeping

It took me a while to get there but here is my setup:

On the floor:

A pedal train board with 8 pedals. They are foot activated but are plugged on two voodoo labs pedal switchers to get rid of signal loss and noises

A rack with a GCX guitar switcher and a few pedals. These are the pedals I on't need on the floor because they are activated as part of presets so I never swtich them in and out (compressor for cleans, boost for leads, EQ, chorus).

It took a lot of fighting with cables and ground loops and I still have a tad more noise on very high gain signal than a modeler would give me but....

Switching with a single click from the 1987 module with a maxon OD9 in front, to the Twinface with a maxon compressor and a boss CH5 chorus is just priceles.... :D

So, I ended up buying a Line 6 M13 ($300 on Craigslist).
It's awesome! Thank you, guys, for the recommendation.
Great sounding effects and super easy to use.
With the RM4, I programmed each block of three scenes to a corresponding module on the RM4-it was too easy: you simply select a scene on the M13, select a module on the RM4, and hold in the channel select button on the RM4 for 4-5 seconds (it doesn't flash or anything).
That's it! The channels are now synched. No need for a separate midi switch.
This MTS equipment is so much fun-thanks again, guys!

altspeed said:
So, I ended up buying a Line 6 M13 ($300 on Craigslist).
It's awesome! Thank you, guys, for the recommendation.
Great sounding effects and super easy to use.
With the RM4, I programmed each block of three scenes to a corresponding module on the RM4-it was too easy: you simply select a scene on the M13, select a module on the RM4, and hold in the channel select button on the RM4 for 4-5 seconds (it doesn't flash or anything).
That's it! The channels are now synched. No need for a separate midi switch.
This MTS equipment is so much fun-thanks again, guys!

When you say the cannels are synched, do you mean that with the push of one button you change the effects on the M13 AND the module on the Randall?

If so, which button makes the change, the M13 (I assume)?

Yes, both the module and the group of effects (the effect "scene") are changed using the M13.
By using a MIDI cable (MIDI out from the M13 to the MIDI in on the RM4) you are able to change what Line 6 calls "scenes"-this is both the Randall module and effects for that scene.
So, I have three scenes for my Blackface, three for my Grail, etc.
There are 12 scenes available (actually, four pages of 12 scenes each). There are twelve on/off stompbox buttons on the M13, in four columns of three. Thus, each module gets its own column of three scenes each (I'm sure that sounds a little confusing, but I'm a tech DOPE, so if I could figure this out ANYBODY could).
What's extra cool is the M13 remembers how each scene was left (just like a setting up a real stompbox), so you can toggle back and forth between a blackface with tubescreamer and chorus and echo and a Grail with delay, etc.
OR...you can set it so every time you toggle between scenes, no effects are on (or, perhaps, only reverb). Again, it is SO easy.

Latest posts