Lets get Technical.

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srrdude

Reaction score
When we dial up our modules, its all kinda second nature to us i suppose. We kinda know what we are looking for. I dont know about you guys, but i dont know what im ACTUALLY doing when i turn the knobs. Sure, i get gain and level, but what is it we do when we turn up the mids? Are we increasing the volume of a set frequency range in relation to two other set frequency ranges (bass and treble)? Are we widening the frequency range? I would ask if we are sliding the frequency range..but that would be a sweep.

If the frequency range is set for each pot on any given module, are their perhaps gaps in between the three ranges? Am i close at all?

srrdude said:
When we dial up our modules, its all kinda second nature to us i suppose. We kinda know what we are looking for. I dont know about you guys, but i dont know what im ACTUALLY doing when i turn the knobs. Sure, i get gain and level, but what is it we do when we turn up the mids? Are we increasing the volume of a set frequency range in relation to two other set frequency ranges (bass and treble)? Are we widening the frequency range? I would ask if we are sliding the frequency range..but that would be a sweep.

If the frequency range is set for each pot on any given module, are their perhaps gaps in between the three ranges? Am i close at all?
Yes :)

Shinozoku said:
srrdude said:

Yes :)

Ha... there were like 6 questions in there. Im not sure what that yes was to.

Do a Google search for 'tone stack'. There are various different circuits that do various different things. I would think it depends on the module.

Thanks james, that keyphrase is rather enlightening. Generally speaking tho, turning the mid knob for example clockwise increases the volume of a Preset (determined by the preamps circuity, which we refer to as voicing?) in relation to the ranges set (by the circuitry) as bass and treble/

Does that sound accurate?

This stuff makes me very curious, im using this nifty program called stereogram to look at songs i listen to and try to make sense of it.

srrdude said:
Thanks james, that keyphrase is rather enlightening. Generally speaking tho, turning the mid knob for example clockwise increases the volume of a Preset (determined by the preamps circuity, which we refer to as voicing?) in relation to the ranges set (by the circuitry) as bass and treble/

Does that sound accurate?

This stuff makes me very curious, im using this nifty program called stereogram to look at songs i listen to and try to make sense of it.
Kinda, yeah. That sounds about right as far as I know. A certain amount of each frequency comes from your guitar signal (defined by the player's hands and pick, the guitar's woods, frets, pickups, strings, hardware, and it's own electronics), and the amp's circuitry defines exactly what it's own character is, and the pots basically take the signal and just boosts or cuts (in some cases, depending on how the amp's EQ is) a defined frequency or range of frequencies.

now with a mid sweep, we change the frequency that the mid pot controls. Is there such a thing as a treble or bass sweep? Would such a thing be possible or even useful for that matter?

srrdude said:
now with a mid sweep, we change the frequency that the mid pot controls. Is there such a thing as a treble or bass sweep? Would such a thing be possible or even useful for that matter?

so know one knows about a bass or treble sweep? Possible/useful?

About the mid...does anyone know what components control the mid voicing?

srrdude said:
srrdude said:

so know one knows about a bass or treble sweep? Possible/useful?
Sure its possible. Just look at the EQ on most highend audio mixing consoles. They Usually have at least a 4 band with sweeps on them. Dont know how helpful or good sounding that would be for guitar amps. I figure if it was them best option for guitar, all the manufacturers would be using them on their amps. Plus, with more options, the amp becomes harder to dial in - just look at the Rivera's - talk about complicated.

a better tone stack is a GREAT idea...but in my experience companies wont build it because it costs alot more to do, and not to many of you guys have the patience to get a grip on a more complicated tone stack.(Let alone PAY for it!)
Its true...in the world of guitarists there are guys like me who love that extra control on my gear...but there is a whole lot of other people who just "dime" everything.
The small percentage of tone freaks,like me, usually doesnt justify the added expense of making amps that have all the extra controls.
I dont think Randall employess will weigh in on this...it might come off like a downer. But whenever I talk to industry folks this is what I hear.
I would be happy to hear Im wrong..or that the paying customers have changed their minds.