Level knob on modules , where do you guys set them?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapo_Polenton

Reaction score
Gents, I have a Gmajor2 that seems to indicate clipping if i set my level over 11. I am surprised by how loud the amp is when I turn up the level on the module.. i also find it thickens the tone some. I'm thinking for recording purposes, I might just set the TC electronic to bypass and turn the level up. Where do you guys run your level knobs? I'm guessing around the 1 or 2 pm mark?

I used to run the level low at about 10 or so. Then I started running them at 12 to 1 with better results. I feel the module breaths better. I still have to run low on my 20 for in house volume levels though.

The following is from Trace on the Voodoo Amps forum. It's my general starting point with all my new toys. Hope this helps.

http://forums.voodooamps.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=892

FAQ's - Randall & Egnater MTS Modules, etc.
by voodooamps ? Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:13 am

For Improved tones we recommend the following settings;

1.) MODULES - Each Module has a "Gain" and "Level" control. IE: The "Level" is a Master Volume control.

Gain Tones - You can max out or fun the Gain control full up/wide open. Set the Level control to 9:00. Set EQ at 12:00.

Clean Tones - Run Level control full up/wide open and set "Gain" control to 9:00. Set EQ at 12:00

2.) PREAMP UNITS - There is a "Master" Volume control on the right hand side of the panel. Set the Master to 12:00 - 1:00. IE: Egnator M4 and Randall RM4.

3.) POWER AMP UNITS - Set the "Master" Volume to 12:00 - 1:00. Set the Presence and Density controls to 12:00. Set Effects control to zero/off. IE: Randall RM100, Lynch Box, etc and Egnater Tour Master, etc.

Adjust EQ to taste and once you have found the tone(s) you like - increase the Effects control to taste (see #3).

Note - Setting the rig in this manner allows you to run the rig like a multi channel amp head as it properly structures gain and headroom. Benefits include but are not limited to; improved tone, reduced noise/hiss, feedback, noise suppression units are no longer a must, EQ on the modules will be more responsive/more active, etc.

My opinion is that it's a personal preference and it's likely to be based on your previous tendencies with other amps you have owned. Chances are if you think about how you have set your previous rigs, you do something similar with the MTS gear (except an RM20 where the module volume really is your Master).

My preferences are Gain and EQ as needed, module Master around noon, M4 Master between 9:00 and 12:00 and RT2/50 Master between 8:00 and 11:00.

Those settings are what I use in the shop. I am not trying to destroy my ears since I need them and use them daily. All of my designs are intended for use live. If an amp sounds great in the bedroom but is noisy and uncontrollable live it has very little use to me. Many of my customers notice that once they crank up my mods, they really start to shine. That's exactly what I aim for: killer feel and tone that gets better with increased levels with the lowest noise possible.

Live I would set the power amp around 9:00-11:00 and adjust the M4 Master to stage level. Module levels are almost always between 11:00-1:00 for balancing between modules.

Of course your preferences may be entirely different. :lol:

I remember seeing a clip of Lynch jamming on his Brahma mod with Dave Friedman swapping tubes. Looked like he had his level up around the 1 or 2 mark and it was cranking. Sounded great. I tried my Brahma at 1 and full out yesterday, man the amp is loud when you run the modules this way! Anyway at 1 it sounded awesome. 11 is where i run it for my effects but have to admit that the little extra push really makes the modules shine. They get a bit fuller sounding. I think I am going to start recording them at this level.

same with me.. in fact Julia, I think you were the one that let me know about that. I was clipping like crazy till I read one of your posts..

Levels at 11:00 and master up to 9:00 or 10:00 on the RM100. Anything over 11:00 on the module level and a noise gate would be a must for me.

For me the module level and R4 Master level are between 10 & 11. This is to avoid clipping the MFX unit (Rocktron Intellifex). I have the Intellifex's I/O lelvels dimed. If I messed with these some I could probably increase the amp levels. POwer amp is set to loudness level needed.

I use my Rm100 with the modules on the dimed side and bring up the master to taste. It really depends on the mod, but it makes it "feel" better and it seems to bring out more harmonic deliciousness. Clean mods I crank up the level and roll back the gain. On the matter of clipping effects units in the loop: You can use a simple volume attenuator in the loop before the effects unit. You could build one yourself for around $10 and a half hour with a soldering iron. It's completely passive and very compact. Here is a link to one on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200621240804?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1237wt_905
Julia posted a link a while back to some schematics for constructing one of these little suckers. Julia, if you could please post that link again it would be awesome. :D :D :D

I had seen that before but didnt look into how you use it. Looks like a pretty cool piece. I wonder, at what level would you set your effects loop control when you use it?

The way I do it is to set the attenuator wide open. (Effects send>attenuator>GMajor2)Then I play through and trim the volume down until it doesn't clip the front end of my GMajor2. That way I can get away with running my mods hot if I want.

Julia post a layout or schem if you wouldn't mind! I would really like to play my modules with a Gmajor2 and have them opened up around the 2 pm mark.

EDIT: I fail to see how attenuating or changing the volume to my ears can affect the Level knob on the modules?? I mean there will still be clipping on the Gmajor regardless of the amps volume because the mdule level is responsible for this no?

Kapo_Polenton said:
Julia post a layout or schem if you wouldn't mind! I would really like to play my modules with a Gmajor2 and have them opened up around the 2 pm mark.

EDIT: I fail to see how attenuating or changing the volume to my ears can affect the Level knob on the modules?? I mean there will still be clipping on the Gmajor regardless of the amps volume because the mdule level is responsible for this no?
All that is really happening is the addition of a volume knob between the preamp section and power sections of the amp. The effects send output goes into the "attenuator" and then into the GMajor. Adjusting the output level of the effects send signal allows you to trim the output and keeps the front end of the Gmajor from clipping. The net result gets pumped into the effects return and amplified. It sure would be nice if there was a level control for the serial effects loop, huh?

Daryl said:
I use my Rm100 with the modules on the dimed side and bring up the master to taste. It really depends on the mod, but it makes it "feel" better and it seems to bring out more harmonic deliciousness. Clean mods I crank up the level and roll back the gain. On the matter of clipping effects units in the loop: You can use a simple volume attenuator in the loop before the effects unit. You could build one yourself for around $10 and a half hour with a soldering iron. It's completely passive and very compact. Here is a link to one on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200621240804?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1237wt_905
Julia posted a link a while back to some schematics for constructing one of these little suckers. Julia, if you could please post that link again it would be awesome. :D :D :D

I built one of those, but it's exactly the same effect as dialing back the volume level of each module. I had the link on my old PC, but that PC is a doorstop. They were originally a pseudo-master volume control for the clean channel of the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe since those are non-master. You don't need them on a master volume amp.

Latest posts