Line 6 HD500 + RM100 (Unity Gain & Volume)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icarus

Reaction score
Does anyone here use this same set up via 4 cable method?

The other guitarist in my band is using a 6505+ and at practice, his post volume barely goes over 10oclock, and I am going over noon on my master just to cut through his volume (and yes, I like my mids turned up). So I started thinking (and yes, chewed gum at the same time):

1. Is the Peavey just that much louder than my RM100?
2. Is my RM100 just not a very loud amp, but maybe can be modded to be louder?
or
3. Maybe I am under unity gain.

The HD500 does not have an input meter so I have no way of knowing whether or not I am peaking or way below threshold. For the sake of safety, I typically set the HD500's master volume ~1oclock and I leave the "FX loop block" Send and Return Levels at ZERO and the Mix at MAX. Not sure if it is safe to set the HD500's Master to Max.

For my fellow HD500 users:

1. How are you finding unity gain?
2. How are your Master and FX Loop Levels set?

Thanks Guys

/Rant

I think the 6505+ is 120w vs. 100w on the rm100.
That's prob. Some of the answer. I don't use the pod though, I'm a stomp box guy

LunatiBSW said:
I think the 6505+ is 120w vs. 100w on the rm100.
That's prob. Some of the answer. I don't use the pod though, I'm a stomp box guy

Lol. Oh yeah... I forgot about that fact. But still, there's gotta be a way to make my settings louder.

FX mix is all the way up. I currently have my presets set where the FX Loop Return is +4db.

Not familiar with the setup of the Line 6 stuff but I am under the impression that 4CM should use a series loop if at all possible....I use a Boss GT10 using 4CM and run through the series loop on my Rm100. Never had a volume issue even when going against a Triple Recto (150 watts) so Im wondering if you are squashing the signal somehow?

On the hd500, make sure the line/stomp switches are set right, along with the guitar input switches. It'll make a huge impact on level and tone. Play with them till they sound good.

As a side note, there's no real need to blast levels, especially at practice. Just get loud enough to sit right with the drummer. Let a pa do the rest. Trust me, sound guys will love you, and the foh mix will be that much better.

You could try and run your amp dry without anything running through you FX loop. Judge how it sounds against the other guitarist. If it is no good, then adjust your amp settings/ volume accordingly.

Once all is good with the amp, move on to the FX.

At least this way you can narrow it down to either amp or FX.

Latest posts