Looking back: What the RM100 II should have been like

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ulf

Reaction score
I thought it might be interesting to collect a few specs that we all had wished for a MkII version of an RM100. Who knows, maybe Randall is watching ...

I'll make a start:
a. make it four-channel instead of three channel
b. compatible with Dual Channel modules
c. second switchable Master Volume
d. switchable Send/Return
e. better sounding Send/Return
f. better quality valve sockets
g. add poweramp switch mode: 4 valves, first pair, second pair -> 2:50 style
h. leave send active when bypassed

Ulf said:
maybe Randall is watching ...

Although I agree with most of your requests, one thing is for sure, Randall isn't watching. Our fate lies with Bruce Almighty....

This line is dead, Bruce is never going to do anything with the technology.

As for requests:

1. Loop that is line level or instrument level. The latest 100 wat fixed Lynch head had this.

2. power scaling.

Kapo_Polenton said:
This line is dead, Bruce is never going to do anything with the technology.

As for requests:

1. Loop that is line level or instrument level. The latest 100 wat fixed Lynch head had this.

2. power scaling.
I wouldn't be so sure. Although Bruce is crazy busy with his line of "Amps of the Orient", he is still very proud of his modular work. I wouldn't be surprised if he tweaks or expands the line.

Ulf said:
I thought it might be interesting to collect a few specs that we all had wished for a MkII version of an RM100. Who knows, maybe Randall is watching ...

I'll make a start:
a. make it four-channel instead of three channel
b. compatible with Dual Channel modules
c. second switchable Master Volume
d. switchable Send/Return
e. better sounding Send/Return
f. better quality valve sockets
g. add poweramp switch mode: 4 valves, first pair, second pair -> 2:50 style
h. leave send active when bypassed

"And here's the new contender for the modular title

Weighing in at over 80lbs

The RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrr MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmm ONE-Hundred, TWOOOOOOOOOO"

:lol:

"Although Bruce is crazy busy with his line of "Amps of the Orient", he is still very proud of his modular work"...

.................its NICE that he is proud of his moving of jobs to the orient.
But how about being there for Us, the people who gave him or trust and cash in the first place??
Its a valid point, that gag and others make...in so many ways, we are on our own...and hopefully someone will take up our cause. Salvation? JF?
GtrGeorge

I've wondered how close the basic layout is to, say a 500 series mic preamp? They look similar in terms of dimension and the connection point.

The thought is, could the basic board for one of these work as a starting point?

Oregon said:
The thought is, could the basic board for one of these work as a starting point?

Probably....but I bet Bruce's patent lawyers might have something to say about it .....unless it was licensed of course. I have a feeling I know how this will all play out....or how I hope it will anyway.....time will tell.

GtrGeorge! said:
"Although Bruce is crazy busy with his line of "Amps of the Orient", he is still very proud of his modular work"...

But how about being there for Us, the people who gave him or trust and cash in the first place??
Its a valid point, that gag and others make...in so many ways, we are on our own...and hopefully someone will take up our cause. Salvation? JF?
GtrGeorge
"Be there for us"? Aren't you rocking Randall gear? So you bought equipment that was manufactured by someone else under license by Bruce? Is it Bruce's obligation to support a product made by another company, even if it is his concept?

As for his decision to make amps overseas - his is a relatively small operation. It's not like he's offshoring thousands of American jobs. He's capitalising on the benefits of having an overseas manufacturer build some of his product line. It's unfortunate reality of many small businesses now trying to keep their companies going. Aside from that, what business is it of ours as to how Bruce chooses to run things? He builds something, we buy it (or don't, based on cost, value, quality, origin).

Even if I had bought a single piece of MTS gear new, does Bruce really owe me anything?

But given that absolutely everything I have bought has been secondhand, Bruce & Randall haven't made a red cent out of me. I'd say that is the case for many members here. As much as I enjoy the line, I can't afford to pay the $2,500 for an RM100 and then up to $500 per module retailers charge over here. The guys with 20+ modded modules astound me - imagine the outlay if they've paid retail for every module and then paid the modders for their work. But I'm sure some of them have benefited from the depreciation of secondhand modules and someone else having had it modded.

Guess that precludes me from any returns on the trust I may have invested in Bruce. We don't even have a financial relationship. I do seriously dig his concept though. If he continues to develop it, regardless of the realities of keeping

VitaminG said:
GtrGeorge! said:

GtrGeorge
"Be there for us"? Aren't you rocking Randall gear? So you bought equipment that was manufactured by someone else under license by Bruce? Is it Bruce's obligation to support a product made by another company, even if it is his concept?

As for his decision to make amps overseas - his is a relatively small operation. It's not like he's offshoring thousands of American jobs. He's capitalising on the benefits of having an overseas manufacturer build some of his product line. It's unfortunate reality of many small businesses now trying to keep their companies going. Aside from that, what business is it of ours as to how Bruce chooses to run things? He builds something, we buy it (or don't, based on cost, value, quality, origin).

Even if I had bought a single piece of MTS gear new, does Bruce really owe me anything?

But given that absolutely everything I have bought has been secondhand, Bruce & Randall haven't made a red cent out of me. I'd say that is the case for many members here. As much as I enjoy the line, I can't afford to pay the $2,500 for an RM100 and then up to $500 per module retailers charge over here. The guys with 20+ modded modules astound me - imagine the outlay if they've paid retail for every module and then paid the modders for their work. But I'm sure some of them have benefited from the depreciation of secondhand modules and someone else having had it modded.

Guess that precludes me from any returns on the trust I may have invested in Bruce. We don't even have a financial relationship. I do seriously dig his concept though. If he continues to develop it, regardless of the realities of keeping

Very well stated and I concur.