looking for acdc sound

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW last night was my first gig in 12 years.It came off really well(high 5's and hand shakes a plenty)using my MTS gear.I must say I really enjoy my new rig,thanks goes out to flying v for his old stuff.I got an ok acdc type sound using the super v but had to max out the gain.I believe you guys are right about not enough power,I think top boost is higher up your gain list.I'm almost sold on the idea.

When I want to play AC/DC around the house, I pop a Pete JTM in the ol' RM20 combo, set it to gain 1:30, bass 11:00, mids 12:00 and treble 1:00 with the presence and density controls set to 0, and switch back and forth between 6/10 and 9/10 on the guitar volume.

Keep in mind:
? this is just for rhythm tones
? I'm using a rosewood fb strat with a Lace Sensor Red bridge pup
? I'm not trying to match album tones, just find sounds I personally enjoy (usually fairly bass-shy)

walshinator666 said:
BTW last night was my first gig in 12 years.It came off really well(high 5's and hand shakes a plenty)using my MTS gear.I must say I really enjoy my new rig,thanks goes out to flying v for his old stuff.I got an ok acdc type sound using the super v but had to max out the gain.I believe you guys are right about not enough power,I think top boost is higher up your gain list.I'm almost sold on the idea.

I don't think the top boost will offer you the right sort of attack and voicing for that dynamic AC/DC crunch. I'd try a JTM or Plexi first.

The Plexi is AC/DC rythym tone, IMO. Big punch, nice and clear. Not even close at low volumes, but once you start moving some air... dead nuts perfect.

I'll sometimes use the SL for AC/DC, but the Plexi just nails it, and it seems to be easier to find used.

As someone who has both the JTM and the Plexi...

I'd go plexi, honestly. The JTM always feels just a tiny bit too thin, like it's in a room with a low hanging tin roof. The Plexi is basically punch in a box. Literally, it screams AC/DC (and I'm playing this all through an SG, mind you). Sometimes, when I want perceived gain (IE, higher, but cooler sound), I'll go with the Brown.

I just got a Plexi this week and I am certainly getting an AC/DC vibe from it.

The Brahma and the Super-V are way cool but not for AC-DC. My AC-DC test is the intro to Shook Me All Night Long. One should hear lots of clarity no fizzing, just that nice full bodied growl -with a bit of a citrus oak after taste :D Therefore, one more vote for the Plexi module.

For ACDC tones, I use a plexi for rhythum and a JF Brahma for leads
The Super V won't work for that stuff...to voxy........an SL2 will work for leads as well....

Actually I found a pretty servicable acdc sound with my XTC using my Ibanez with dimebuckers...-gain @ 11o'clock
-bass@9:30
-mid@2:00
-treb@5:00
-volume@2:00
I like it,probably use it at the next practice.

I have found when comparing the XTC and the Plexi side by side that the XTC has a pronounced lower end compared to the Plexi... which this plays well for the Malcolm part but you have to careful with the gain or you will start to sound too modern. I play is safe and use the Plexi exclusively for AC/DC.... It sounds the best I think.

Now if you want to talk AIC... well the XTC is as close as I can find.

I would use the Plexi too. Just beef up the gain a hair or two and I think it would be fine. I did my Plexi and it rips. I can probably get a good acdc sound with the gain all the way up and the guitar volume at about 3/4. Turn guitar up for solo sections. I love the way these modules are so sensitive to the guitars volume. My friend uses a solid state amp and he can't get that sweet sound you get when you roll back the volume a bit. Once you turn it up though with the module in stock form , it just might do the trick.