Looking to modify my modules...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vikko98

Reaction score
Hi,

This is an extension of my post found here: http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=11973

I've got two Blackface modules which I find kinda thin and I was thinking of changing some components to see what happens. First of all I would like to get more bass out of it. The thing is that without schematics or proper knowledge I don't know how the different components affect the sound. So I would appreciate some pointers to where to begin.

Or just convert the module into a Deluxe.

I'm gonna keep one to stock specs so I really can A/B-compare the changes.

I also have a request, if anyone's feeling full of good-will. I would like good pictures of or a list of values of the compenents for the Tweed and Deluxe-modules (black faceplate version).

I know of the modders out there and I've e-mailed Salvation asking for prices but I'd like to try some things out myself too. I've already done the AC-30 mod on my Top Boost but with the possibilty to switch in or out the 100K resistor.

All help, huge or tiny, would be appreciated...

/Niklas

go to the bottom of this page. The part values are on the pdf's

http://www.grailtone.com/guitar-tone-articles/randall-modules-modifications.html

Thanks, I know, but unfortunatly the layout doesn't match the PCBs on my modules. I just wanna be a 100% sure.

/Niklas

A few notes about the PDF downloads of the pcb layouts:
-They're out of date.

-The Deluxe shows the actual pcb for the Clean, Blackface, and Deluxe, whereas the Blackface and Clean pcbs do not.

-The SL+ shows JCM800 tone stack values. If you want the original tone stack values refer to the Plexi pcb layout.

-Some of the pcbs have been changed/updated which has deleted some components, so the pcb layouts may not coincide with current production modules. Example: R31 of an older "Brit module" is now R25. This is actually a smaller issue than it seems, as long as you have both, new and old pcbs to compare to each other.

-It seems all current production modules use 150ohms @ R1, R2, R3. The pcb layouts show 470ohms.

Sorry, if this is, at all confusing, but if you're truly interested in doing your own modifications then you should do some research about tube amps/preamps...away from this site. One of the best things you can do for yourself is trace out the module, including the tube board.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

:D

I am interested in moding my own modules as well, what is a good book on the subject? I am good at soldering and have built many DIY projects, like ssl clone , API pres and the such. Just don't have much experience with opening up amps,I am a gear head and kinda figure instead of going thru some many amps it would be nice to just mod my own.

I'm the kind of guy who knows a little about a lot of things. Electronics is one of them. If I have a PCB layout I could follow a schematic by just using logic. But just reading a schematic and be able to see what does what isn't one of my skills.

I really should learn electronics but I can't seem to find the patience to do it.

Also, I'm not looking to make an Orange-style module or anything. I just want to have the option to convert, let's say, my Brahma into a Tweed and if there isnt too much changes regarding components maybe make it able to switch between them.

I'm not thinking of going into the heavy mods that you and the other guys do... And I'm also not interested in ripping off your designs.

/Niklas

In my original post, I was just trying to point out some things to keep in mind or keep handy, if you're going to do any modding. I don't have a problem helping out where I can either.

Making a BF into a Deluxe isn't a problem. Both modules have a lot less parts than the other modules. I could look into it.

The Brahma and Tweed could be a little tricky, if you want both on the same module. One could be made into the other, but to have both in their true forms, might get a little tricky. But, if you wanted the Brahma intact and then add a "Tweed-like" channel, that could probably happen, and vice-versa.

I'm kind of busy with other work, but I can help you look into getting these done. I'm sure someone else would chime in too.

SacredGroove said:
In my original post, I was just trying to point out some things to keep in mind or keep handy, if you're going to do any modding. I don't have a problem helping out where I can either.

Making a BF into a Deluxe isn't a problem. Both modules have a lot less parts than the other modules. I could look into it.

The Brahma and Tweed could be a little tricky, if you want both on the same module. One could be made into the other, but to have both in their true forms, might get a little tricky. But, if you wanted the Brahma intact and then add a "Tweed-like" channel, that could probably happen, and vice-versa.

I'm kind of busy with other work, but I can help you look into getting these done. I'm sure someone else would chime in too.

EDIT: I just checked into the BF and Deluxe and that should be really easy to do.

Ok, thanks man. I realize that it won't be too easy and probably should learn more about electronics. I'm kinda spoiled having a friend who's really awesome when it comes to musical devices. If I'm in a spot I know that he probably can help me.

But if I know the difference between the modules regarding components I could at least convert them.

When I ordered the Randall stuff I wanted the Deluxe and Tweed modules but they were out of stock. The contract between Randall/US Music and the importer here in Sweden has ended and therefore no new modules will be imported. That's why I went with two BFs.

/Niklas

Latest posts