low tuning

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maximus1

Reaction score
i feel wierd asking this but since i've always tuned low like b or a# and as of late c would it be too much to go up to drop d for death metal , i mean would i still be heavy without tuning low? i ve always hated drop d but as i get older i want better clarity without sacrificing heaviness and currently at c its ok but the tone isn't really fully balanced like it is a drop d, d seems like the notes are clearer and i can distinguish chords changes on frets that are close together where as before chords on 1,2 and 3 were just mushed together. in my band i can't get my bass player to tune lower than c cause he says his bass is crap any lower than that, i say he needs to adjust his eq and dial out some bass but whatever , if i had my way i'd be in a # slamming some suicide silence but we need to come to an agreement in order to continue forward. in drop d i've lost that growl i use to get form down tuning. what do you guys think am i going soft. i mean my rm100 sounds **** good in d i just don't get that growl from open chords anymore.

Have you been changing string gauge going up/down? Some of the growl comes from the note..and some from the looseness and the string/pick attack.

I assume by Drop D you mean DADGBE ?

I like 1/2 step down for the whole guitar generally but a whole step down to D standard really growls for me (DGCFAD) am running EB Power Slinkies in that tuning (11 - ??) though

I'm not sure what you're really asking. Are you asking us if drop D is okay for death metal? You can play death metal in E standard if you really wanted, however, it won't sound the same.

I remember several years ago I despised drop D. For some reason, I thought standard tuning was the only way to go. After I took some time with it, I began to like it. Now I experiment between E standard, drop D, and drop C. Basically, give it a try and you may come to like it more. If not then just down tune.

Do what makes you happy. Also, it may be worthwhile to setup your guitar after you get situated in a certain tuning, unless you're changing tunings frequently.

I like tuing down a whole step (DGCFAD). Gives an awesome growl, plus I can always drop down to C to give a little bit of a heavier flavour.

I like C standard a lot, and drop d is okay, I really only use it to play certain songs, so I don't use it often. It can get heavy with tons of palm mutes, but C is great.

yeah i know all of this , i think i'll stay in c for now , hopefully i can convince my bass player to go down to a# for good but i doubt it :wink: . d has punch no doubt but no growl.

I love dropped D tuning, you can make a power chord with one finger 8)
My band also covers Breaking Benjamin and Cold so I use My ESP MKII for Dropped C. I use light top heavy bottom strings.(10,13,17,30,42,52)
I could not stand having the strings up top feeling like rubber bands :roll:

I use CGCFAD, but it does require using AT LEAST 10's, but more preferably 11's to get the tension a little less spaghetti like...
While this tuning sounds a bit 'heavier' than when I was using DADGBE, I often find myself thinking I had better tone when I was using that tuning.

I guess the real solution is to either A) realize that the riffs you play should be what creates the heaviness and not how low the overall pitch is...to some extent....or B) switch to a 6 string bass and eliminate guitar totally!
HA!

I was a huge Nevermore fan and ya know, after they switched to 7 strings and tuned lower, I lost interest and thought the songs lost a vital part of what I enjoyed about their music.

I used Gibson Powerlines 13-56 for D tuning, for 7string guitar D'Addario XL 157 (14-68 ) + high E string single-handed. Because I play acoustic guitars a lot, this thickness is good for me.
For example my acoustic baritone guitar has D'Addario EXP23 (16-70)

i've always lived by one rule and that is "there are no rules when it comes to rock and roll" and that includes whatever "brand" you may fancy... if you dig it ... it's good ...

maximus1 said:
d has punch no doubt but no growl.

My Schecter Hellraiser, Grail and v30 loaded ENGL say you're wrong but I've never been lower than d standard.....unless you count 'drop d down a whole step' where the bottom string would be a c of course... was a bit floppy on that string then :D

rather than deciding how low to tune, the tunes I write really speak to me at different tunings and let me know where they should be, along with the range of my vocalist playing a huge role in the decision

Problem is, you wind up needing a few guitars to get through a set- resources don't usually allow all that on a local level

I've tuned to C# standard and used ErnieBall "skinny top-heavy bottom" (10-52) strings since the mid nineties. I think it's perfect for anything AiC and heavier. C# is right between A and 440A and sounds great to me.

SacredGroove said:
I've tuned to C# standard and used ErnieBall "skinny top-heavy bottom" (10-52) strings since the mid nineties. I think it's perfect for anything AiC and heavier. C# is right between A and 440A and sounds great to me.

+1 on the 10-52's. I use the Blue Steels of the same gauge!!

+1 again, just threw a set of d'addario 12-52 :roll: on and tune to c , pretty decent

SacredGroove said:

+1 on c#

I have a 7 string that I am toying with but it really is a bit wide of a neck for me to get around on well. When I go to my 6 string though man does it feel narrow and fast after the 7 lol.

I don't know why but for some reason when I have tried tuning down the 6 string c# has always sounded "right" to me. I am thinking of picking up a Schecter Baritone or maybe a Fernandez Ravelle Baritone and seeing if I progress faster with that than I am with the 7 string. My 6 string is a 25" scale and just does not do c# well even with big strings unless I set the action higher than I would like.

With my 7 string, I found it took a little bit of getting used to, but after a few weeks it was completely natural. It's also really easy to switch between 6's and 7's, although I've never found a need to.

Latest posts