Lynch and Friedman....the real deal. Check this out!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SacredGroove said:
OK, I swear I heard George say that the SuperV is based on an early-mid seventies Marshall (Plexi). Is this right? Did he misspeak? I always thought the SuperV was based on a Vox.

Whatever the case, a RM4 loaded with all Lynch modules would be unstoppable!

Great video, Thanks!

guys,just wanted to clarify things...got an e-mail back from Dave Friedman.seems that GL did "mis-speak" using the word "SuperV",when he was describing the MTS module he was playing as "emulating his early 70's metal-panel Marshall tone from the Dokken days".the module name he meant to say was the "BRAHMA",which was the topic of the video... :wink:

Great video, thanks for posting it. I love the A/B sound comparison. Now where do we get those tubes?!

Mailman1971 said:
Man.....now you guys are getting me pumped to get the SUPER V!

I havent even heard it yet. I know sometimes they pop up pretty cheap on Ebay. I just need to snag one next time. :x

$169OBO on eBay right now dude and another at $129 with $140 BIN ;)

Just wondering...does the Friedman mod to the Brahma add more gain, cos that one Lynch was playing was pretty gainy and i'm sure he wasn't boosting it. Or was he....?? :shock:

It didnt sound like it was boosted. The modded one has more gain and bottom end. SWEETEST tone you will get from the MTS!! 8)

goldwing68nv said:
SacredGroove said:
OK, I swear I heard George say that the SuperV is based on an early-mid seventies Marshall (Plexi). Is this right? Did he misspeak? I always thought the SuperV was based on a Vox.

Whatever the case, a RM4 loaded with all Lynch modules would be unstoppable!

Great video, Thanks!

guys,just wanted to clarify things...got an e-mail back from Dave Friedman.seems that GL did "mis-speak" using the word "SuperV",when he was describing the MTS module he was playing as "emulating his early 70's metal-panel Marshall tone from the Dokken days".the module name he meant to say was the "BRAHMA",which was the topic of the video... :wink:

Okay, lets muddy things up some more...

It's been pretty well established that the Brahma is based on George's '68 plexi and he eluded to that in the video clip.

I asked George's tech, Gerry about the Super V reference and he said:

"What he meant was when the development of the modules began, the Super V laid the groundwork for much of the work ahead. It originally was to emmulate the tone of the early Marshalls with the "cascade" mod (volume II into volume I that a lot of people were doing in the late 70s-early 80s). What developed was a low-gain kind of tone, nothing over the top which is what George had during the early Dokken days. The module then developed into the Grail, Mr. Scary, and the Brahma. But further work on the Super V went into staying in the vintage-era tones of that early Marshall but went further back into trying to get it to sound like the Super Reverb, which is much more raw than the early Marshall tone. They worked on it for quite some time until they arrived on the final design with the tone landing somewhere between a Vox AC30 and the Fender Super Reverb. But to answer your question, the Super V was the first one in development and ended up being the last one completed."

Juggernaut said:
So whats Freidman charge for his mods???

$100 was current quote I got for the Brahma...still haven't done it to mine but I bought and sold a pre-modded one in the mean time..heh

I sent my Brahma to him earlier this week, he said it's $100 plus shipping. Not expensive at all.

Is there a big difference between the turley mods and rack systems mods? I currently dont own any modded modules (yet, I will soon) but i have heard a couple of the pete mods and they blew me away! I was curious if they do simular things or do they each have a different approach.

Different but similar approaches.

Dave F offers specialized tweaks to the Lynch modules to make them closer to the original/Lynch design...I think he feels like Randall takes some production shortcuts..having seen his modifications, I can see why :D

General modifications, both Pete and Dave are taking into account their customer requests and using both knowledge and ears to tweak.

Pete offers some killer modifications that improve versatility as well tho....switchable bass stacks, tone stacks, gain, mid shifts etc. .. not to mention the fun stuff he's done with the faceplates.

Both great guys and killer sounding mods.

Hi,

I would like to buy the Yugoslavia 7025 Tubes to "boost" my Brahma module...but impossible to find them in France.
Do you know if there is some others tubes which could improve in the same way my module ? (Groove / Electro Harmonix ?)

Thank you in advance

Best regards

Laurent

Well, as mentioned in the video, they aren't made anymore :p Their equivalent is being researched though, as Lynch really wants those to come stock in the Brahma soon.

I guess check eBay though?

7025's are supposedly notorious for being great, and then going belly-up. They are supposed to be out again in the future, but for now the plant is down.

I think similar results of the Ei 7025 could be had with a nice, measured and tested 9th gen Chinese in module V1; maybe a second one in V2 of the module, or maybe a Tung Sol 12AX7 in V2. Plus, V1 in the head/rack unit will play a HUGE role as well. No mention of what V1 was in that head. Do a Tung Sol 12AX7 or maybe even a JJ ECC803S (tested, of course) in the head V1, EL34L biased mid to hot, and then pop two 9th Gen Chinese (tested for hi gain) in the module V1 and V2. Too thin or brilliant? Swap in another Tung Sol for a Chinese (module V2 would be my first choice), or go warmer NOS in V1 in the head, then push the gain a little more, or boost in front. Too many people disregard lower gain (but warmer) V1 tubes (NOT the module V1!); sometimes it can allow the most incredible control factor thru the use of a pedal or different pickups up front. Interaction! :D

Pickups, speakers, cab, and volume will play some part.. and the person playing being the biggest part IMO. As an example, I have yet to find a single preamp, module, head, amp, etc that an EH will work for me in. Put one in any module, amp, etc, and all I have ot do is play one note and I know it is an EH or similar tube. Oddly, a Penta vs an unbranded (but tested!) 9th Gen Chinese is easy to pick as well. I love seeing people use gear that does not work for me. And I love finding stuff that never stuck out that is magic... for me :D

Dead on about the Ei's Nikki. I have one left of the pre-war Ei 12AX7s. One went teats up after a week (was great then went microphonic). I was swapping out another preamp tube and when I switched the amp on the Ei just lit up like a light bulb for a second then went back to normal, but man that whistle when I took it off standby. That was a quick fix. Line through the box into the trash.

So am I to understand that the amp has two preamp tubes before the module, and the module is followed by the PI?

If this is the case, I wonder if a 12DW7 (JJ ECC832) would work in this. I've found in my 5150 that this tube in V2 brings the gain under control and warms up the amp a bit.

I'm going to try a Telefunken in V1 and a Tung Sol in V2 if the amp is set up like that.

Oh- no...
The heads have a V1 (only 1 triode used tho), then module V1 and V2, then Head V2 (fx), and Head V3 (PI). RM4=same, just no PI (V2 and V3 are separate loop buffers I think). I run pre-loop out on my RM4, so only RM4 V1 is active in my path.

Module V1 typically does gain + cascade (pot controlled gain/distortion/OD on a "regular" amp), V2 has another stage available, and then a triode for cathode follower duties to get the gain up for the tonestack... 4 triodes to use as desired. V1 in the RMxxx or RM4 uses one triode for the *preset* initial gain; typical V1 in many/most amps. Module V1=V2 in many amps.. the "pot controlled" gain stage, or stages. Etc.

This is my only real dislike... V1 is universal. I would love to have the time to tear down another RM4 and mod it, removing the loops, and then using those 2 tubes as alternate V1 tubes. Maybe I should just build a custom pre... lol...

Okay, so the Telefunken 12AX7 goes in V1. I can't imagine it sounding bad. There's always one of those Brimar Mullards I can drop in there.

Latest posts