Major Rm50C issue no sound

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zepplin490

Reaction score
Ok i turned on my rm50 combo yesterday with 2 modules in it running straight in with a known good cable and the amp powered up so i let it sit for about 5 mins because it hadnt been run in a month and a half. When i turned the standby to play I got a tiny humming sound from the speaker but no guitar sound. I checked the preamp tubes 1 by one and found them all to be good so i checked the power tubes, swapped in and re-biased another set and nothing checked the fuses in the back and they were fine so i talked to rob he recommended to run the output of the loop into the return of my rm100, no sound unless i cranked the rm100 and then it was just a light hum so i checked and rechecked the tubes cables and fuses. From there i jumped back in this morning and removed the chassis and checked all of the internal fuses and all were fine. Im stumped im supposed to talk to Rob at around 10:30 but if anyone reads this before then any ideas? she's all torn apart and ive got all the parts arranged neatly.
-mp-

F*CK I give up ive tested everything that can be tested and tested it again.. tried every troubleshooting method i could find or that rob could come up with it looks like theres something that cant be fixed without an electronics engineering degree wrong with my poor rm50 combo... possibly some hotswapping of modules early on in its life has finally caught up with it... now its a 3 hour car trip to take it to the only randall certified repair shop in maine.. I had this thing sold yesterday and the dude was supposed to come pick it up today but when i fired it up to make sure it was still in top shape after a month and a half long hiatus its just not putting out anything but a low hum:(
-mp-

Has anyone ever had an MTS amp blow on em while hotswapping? I think the only explanation for mine going is that it was involved in some hotswapping like 10 years ago and is not just finally shitting the bed... This really frustrates me I was about to have the cash for the JCM 2000 TSL 100 that ive been wanting to add to the amp herd and then this happened...
-mp-

Sorry to hear about your amp...That blows...

As for hot swapping...I don't know if that would cause a problem down the road for anything but you never know...I would also check all connectors and make sure everything is tight..Not sure what else...Rob's the guy for that...

Does it bias ok? Just no sound?

Oh yeah I checked the Bias as the 2nd thing i did in the begininng the first thing was to make sure the 12ax7 tubes were 100% then i checked the bias and it was at 30mv then i switched the 2 6LG jj's with a brand new set of the same tubes biased to 30mv and tested then put the original tubes back in and re-biased.. I have checked everything that i am qualified for and some stuff im not qualified for but managed to accomplish and its still a mystery. But i did find out that my regular guitar shop thats local to me and that does all the work on my guitars has an amp tech in a much closer city than the place i was planning on taking it and I just have to drop it off with them and they take it down to Augusta Maine which is about 1.5 hours away and fix it and bring it back and all i pay for is the repair work and i was assured that this guy could fix my randall... the guy i chatted with from my local store even actually was familiar with mts amps which is pretty rare these days.
-mp-
I was actually gonna call you up figg but i figured you would be sleeping in and diddnt want to bother you so i txt'd rob and then a while later he called me up and he gave me some ideas but im still here with a dead rm50 combo.... But on tuesday I have an EL34 equipped RM50 Head coming in!

zepplin490 said:
I was actually gonna call you up figg but i figured you would be sleeping in and diddnt want to bother you so i txt'd rob and then a while later he called me up and he gave me some ideas but im still here with a dead rm50 combo.... But on tuesday I have an EL34 equipped RM50 Head coming in!

I was just about to e-mail Rob about a mod upgrade after reading your post when I saw this in my inbox:

Tracking Number: XXXX
Exception Reason: TRAIN DERAILMENT
Shipment Detail
Ship To:
XXXX
US
UPS Service: GROUND
Weight: 43.0 LBS

So, that RM50 may not be arriving on Tuesday as planned. Did you recently murder a black cat under a ladder or something? Maybe burn some sage before touching any more MTS?

Latest posts