MarkUs?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, it was humorous, My buddy actually laughed at me and said "just get another Mark IV dummy"

Maybe there really was something wrong with it because there's no way that module could have produced the clips I've heard.

No one here on the forum knows me, But I really do know amps and tone.
This one was a limp noodle.

grbassist said:
Very flubby on muted chords, couldn't get the gain stages to sound good.
The "Scooped eq" setting is so exaggerated it's unusable. (Kinda like the guys on a Crate at Guitar Center trying to play Slayer)

I can't comment on the MarkUs as I've never played one (and since you owned a Mark IV I'm assuming you already know that you have to set the tone stack on Mark series amps way different than on Marshall-type amps). Regarding the "classic V" EQ setting though, I frankly think that sounds awful on real Mark series amps. Dialing in a shallow V makes sense because these amps are so middy, but dropping that middle slider all the way is just a recipe for nasty sound. It's too bad that these modules don't implement the V as a variable control that lets you dial in the depth of the scoop, so as you turn it up, the lows and highs get raised while the mids get dipped. That's probably as close as you could come to having the flexibility of a real Mark series amp loaded with GEQ in the MTS format.

A variable scoop knob would at least improve the issues I had, but you can't simulate a power section grapic eq with ANYTHING on a preamp, much less one knob or switch. It's just not the same.
A grapic eq in your effects loop is the best bet.
Let's not get in to that though, the tone purists will have a field day. :p

grbassist said:
Actually, it was humorous, My buddy actually laughed at me and said "just get another Mark IV dummy"

Maybe there really was something wrong with it because there's no way that module could have produced the clips I've heard.

No one here on the forum knows me, But I really do know amps and tone.
This one was a limp noodle.

That's cool. Just having fun. The concept of mods being dead on is a misleading thing. Sometimes they are but, as you know, there's all those variables to add to each equation...Strings, tubes, weather, grandma's flatulence, bad day at rodeo clown junior college, no breakfast, etc.

My point is it could have been many things. Sorry your noodle went limp. That is rarely good.

Got any links to your stuff?

That's the point, it's after the pre-amp section and only affects the power section, like an effects loop.

Mattfigg-

I know you know what's up and I respect your opinion.
I think you would agree if you heard mine.
This actually make me want to get another one to see.

Here's a link. Song is "Revolution of one"
Hit play on the music player on the left
I picked this one 'caus I wrote it, sang it, played bass and half the guitars.
The guitars are (real) Mesa Mark IV with Randall Ultra XL overlayed

http://www.myspace.com/grbassist

grbassist said:
Mattfigg-

I know you know what's up and I respect your opinion.
I think you would agree if you heard mine.
This actually make me want to get another one to see.

Here's a link. Song is "Revolution of one"
Hit play on the music player on the left
I picked this one 'caus I wrote it, sang it, played bass and half the guitars.
The guitars are Mark IV with Randall Ultra XL overlayed

http://www.myspace.com/grbassist

Cool...It'll be the first tune I rock when I get my monitors hooked up! Motivation is all I needed. Thanks.

And I totally believe you could have had a turd module or it could be that you were correct in not liking it to begin with. Not every mod is right for every player. MTS is basically built for us amp addicts to save us from shipping power sections. :)

Mattfig said:
Not a set of 5 faders...But that would be cool...You could use those little toothpick Alesis MEQ faders...

Could that actually be done? That would be sweet...I'm surprised none of the modders have attempted it before.

PS...I like your new sig :lol:

I meant EQ before gain; not before the first stage (raises level), but before the actual "distortion" stage(s).

The MarkUs is built this way? Did Salvation/Anthony confirm this somewhere?

nikki-k said:
I meant EQ before gain; not before the first stage (raises level), but before the actual "distortion" stage(s).

The MarkUs is built this way? Did Salvation/Anthony confirm this somewhere?

Yeah, Anthony has said that many times. Check the description for this module on his website; it's there. Not sure about the MarkX or the old Gigmods one (I think those are the only ones out there).

I thought the key to dialing a Mark IV was to boost a lot of mids first, then go through the gain and use the faders to mid scoop. The idea being the guitar input goes into a lot of mids and cuts back on the rumble bass and sizzly highs...I've tried it on other amps with some success...so I always thought the famous v setting was misleading as it overlooks the early mid boost

crankyrayhanky said:
I thought the key to dialing a Mark IV was to boost a lot of mids first, then go through the gain and use the faders to mid scoop. The idea being the guitar input goes into a lot of mids and cuts back on the rumble bass and sizzly highs...I've tried it on other amps with some success...so I always thought the famous v setting was misleading as it overlooks the early mid boost

I totally agree with this. If you look at the typical Mark IV eq setting you'd think it would sound horribly scooped, but adding mids before the gain makes up for it (or vice versa) and gives it a unique character.

(still don't think the MarkUS captures that magic)

grbassist said:
(still don't think the MarkUS captures that magic)

I think it captures that well, and yes, your MarkUS has perhaps a problem because it sounds so good for me that your fist post has suprised me.

But the one who is right, is Mattfig when he says " Not every mod is right for every player".

Another thing, important for me, is that the preamp circuit in a module has to be as close as possible as the one on the "original" amp; why? Because it's the huge difference between MTS series and modeling stuff.

A Mesa Mark based module, without pre Eq, and even if it sounds really close to the real amp, is just modeling; I'm coming from there (11R, GSP1101, KPA) and that's not what I'm looking for in the MTS world; I want more!! :lol:

I thought the markus did justice to the Mark series....It was obviously not as versatile,but the tones it would cover sounds pretty authentic,as was the case with the tone controls...that's what I like about the Salvo stuff,he tries to stay faithful to the features that make the particular amps unique....I havent played a mark X,so I dont know how it compares and most of the clips ive heard dont seem to do it justice....Ive considered getting one,but for whatever reason I ve never been a huge fan of the Boogie stuff.....

grbassist said:
It's in the MarkUs description on salvationmods.com
Ahh. Thanks.
I have used an MXR 10-band in front for eons to drop bass and highs (inverted scoop), and then tune via post gain EQ, which is what I have done with Mesa Mark series stuff. Might need to check the MarkUS out...

Latest posts