MIDI EQ? Your opinions needed...I have 4 available to me...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattfig

Reaction score
OK guys,

I have many modules in multiple bays...I'm seeking a way to EQ them all a bit different and have realized I guess I need a MIDI Programmable EQ...Does anyone know if this is a bad idea?

Also, any suggestions???

Edited to add progress/pricing/availability:

Here's what I'm up against...
I can get a new Behringer DEQ2496 for $219...
A used Rocktron Pro Q for around $125...
A used Rane MPE-28 for $145...
A Payne Labs MEQ for $165 (new)...

Which would you go for if you were me??? I've read a lot of GREAT reviews for the Pro Q and it is a cool little unit and MIDI capable....The Behringer gives me a 31 or 10 band MIDI switchable EQ and a RTA which I like...The Rane seems simple and is based off ADA MQ-1...All MIDI controllable with 128 memory spots...The Payne labs one seems cool but kinda ghetto...Plus only 5 bands of EQ and it looks like a kids game from the 80s... :D Like Simon's older brother...
mEQ-big.jpg

simon.jpg

it's a great idea IMO, it gives you tons of versatility. I use the parametric EQ in the g-major for this purpose (just because it there in the rack already). I would dig having a midi graphic EQ in my setup.

Payne Labs makes a midi EQ.

http://www.payne-labs.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=19&Itemid=27

Another option is the ADA MQ-1 or Digitech MEQ.

Payne Labs will also customize the freqs if you'd like.

It's amazing how few current-model MIDI-programmable EQs that are available out there. There are several obsolete EQs that people recommend, with the recommendation ending in "if you can find one!" :lol: I've got one of those obsolete EQs: a Rane MPE-14; however it will not switch via MIDI with my G-System, yet it works fine with my GCP (this is because the MPE-14 is such an older device); so keep this in mind that the older the device, the greater the chances are that you may have problems with the MIDI functionality without some sort of master clock device to tweak the data transfer properties.

Anyway, here's an actual device that's currently being manufactured and should be readily available: http://www.alesis.com/deq830.

Wow...Thanks for the responses...I've been checking in throughout the day and following some links...So far, haven't found much in my budget...2 bills and under...Would love a Rocktron Pro Q....

Does anyone have experience with the Payne?? Looks pretty cool...

I've also been checking out just using a Behringer DEQ2496...Don't need the compressor/limiter but the EQ is nice....Price is higher than I'm willing at the moment but they go cheap on Ebay from time to time...Today one went for 200 even...Any opinions???

Thanks!!!

Keep one thing in mind, 'most' midi controlled EQ's are not meant for -on the fly- live work patch changes

So if that's what you have in mind, take a good look at specs before you
hear your 600hz 1.5Q 3dB kick in half a second too late

Nightdare said:
Keep one thing in mind, 'most' midi controlled EQ's are not meant for -on the fly- live work patch changes

So if that's what you have in mind, take a good look at specs before you
hear your 600hz 1.5Q 3dB kick in half a second too late

Good call...I did not know that...It's for studio use only but I'd still like the ability to change on the fly without delay.....

Thanks!

For studio use? Why don't you just get a POD HD? You can program EQs differently. You can run banks of different EQs if you want. You can use it for switching channels on your randall stuff. Probably more than you want to spend, but you get all the other effects and some models as well.

I used a Behringer Ultracurve DEQ2496 with my Pod XTpro back in the day to remove the fizz (Line6 Philbert trick)....made a HUGE difference. Highly recommended eq....great value for the dollar. I know Behringer is a scary brand to some, but I had no issues with the quality.

EDIT: It did change patches with the Pod via midi with no latency issues at all....definitely gig worthy.

Ultron said:
I used a Behringer Ultracurve DEQ2496 with my Pod XTpro back in the day to remove the fizz (Line6 Philbert trick)....made a HUGE difference. Highly recommended eq....great value for the dollar. I know Behringer is a scary brand to some, but I had no issues with the quality.

EDIT: It did change patches with the Pod via midi with no latency issues at all....definitely gig worthy.

I respect Behringer a lot...I've been eyeballing the DEQ2496 as I mentioned above...I also own a good bit of Behringer gear and have yet to be let down or disappointed...Granted I don't record with any Behringer gear, it's great for rigs and PAs...They make the BEST feedback killer in the Feedback Destroyer Pro2496...It is amazing...

Here's what I'm up against...
I can get a new Behringer DEQ2496 for $219...
A used Rocktron Pro Q for around $125...
A used Rane MPE-28 for $145...
A Payne Labs MEQ for $165 (new)...

Which would you go for if you were me??? I've read a lot of GREAT reviews for the Pro Q and it is a cool little unit and MIDI capable....The Behringer gives me a 31 or 10 band MIDI switchable EQ and a RTA which I like...The Rane seems simple and is based off ADA MQ-1...All MIDI controllable with 128 memory spots...The Payne labs one seems cool but kinda ghetto...Plus only 5 bands of EQ and it looks like a kids game from the 80s... :D Like Simon's older brother...
mEQ-big.jpg

simon.jpg

ned said:
Another option is the ADA MQ-1
I read that Metallica used these on the Black album - I've seen people trying to sell these for $400+ on eBay (prety sure there weren't too many takers though) . . . But they are super hard to find (as of this writing there are zero current or recently completed auctions for one of these on eBay)

OK, sorry MattFig - I know this has absolutely nothing to do with what you originally posted! :lol:

Update:

Programmed all 12 modules to have different EQ settings using the Pro Q and wow! It switches right along with everything else on the GCP... It's very cool...Easy to get heavy handed with when I know it should be a light push...Seems it's best to program one module per evening...

Good stuff for cheap!

I'm glad it worked out =)
Actually I often thought of getting a digital EQ in my rack and now with my RM50 the thought's coming back to me ^^

Alesis DEQ would also be a possibility....

And Behringer..... well some of their stuff is definitly ok but I hate their Gates/Comps in a siderack when mixing live.....you can just hear them working aside from gating / compressing.....

Matt: would a comparision with/without eq of some modules be possible? Would be interesting to see how you use it...

Yep...When I get back home in a few days I'll throw something together for you...In the meantime, I'll say that the Pro Q is very much like a more programmable sonic maximizer coupled with 5 band eq...Really simple and can push each module into deeper, richer territory...I looked at the Behringer DEQ2496 and still think that would be a cool choice...I ended up with Pro Q because of pricing and recommendations...No more BBE Sonic Stomp for my MTS!! :D :D

Latest posts