• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Synergy/MTS Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Rane MPE28 MIDI-Controlled EQ

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham Pearson

Reaction score
There's a Rane MPE 28 MIDI-controlled EQ being auctioned on eBay right now - item number 140585290512. I bought one of these a few months ago from Guitar Center for about $80 and thought I'd got a good deal.

If you're a MIDI kind of guy, these are great for putting in front of your RM4 to get different tones from the same MTS module without having to fiddle with the module's tone knobs. They're also good if you swap between a humbucker guitar and a single-coil guitar.

Our esteemed MattFig uses a similar unit (Rocktron Pro-Q) in his setup. By the way, I don't know the eBay seller so I have no ulterior motive in this auction.

"esteemed" :lol: :lol: :lol:

I will say that a MIDI EQ opens a new dimension in tone for MTS...It's a risky move as it's easy to over-use...There is a very fine line but it can be one of your greatest assets IMHO....Good catch Graham! Not a bad price at all...And no, I have no affiliation with the seller either...

Hi guys,
I am a little fish in a big pond, so please bear with me on my silly questions. Do you think that these units are more effective than the eq built into a rack effects unit? For instance, I use the GMajor2 and it has a programmable EQ block that works pretty good. It is coming after the preamp section. Will I be able to get more from one of these dedicated units or is it worth it for me?

Well Daryl, to be as forthcoming without boring the board here, if your amp sounds good with the EQ in the FX loop then stay with it. I've used EQ's in the past for various reasons. One of which is to help tune my rig to a room where i am playing. I used it before the amp and it was there to basically give my guitar's sound a bit more of what it needed to cut through the amp based on the acoustics of the room. The other thing i used to do was use one as a solo boost. In short i used a EQ pedal with the volume cranked and an EQ setting that changed the tone a bit and used it with my old one channel amp to do solos. If either of those sounds like an application you want then i'd say buy one. But if your rig sounds good with your current EQ in the FX loop then save your money. As for the TC EQ, it is superb and in my opinion will work as well as any dedicated unit for guitar rigs. I use my G System EQ (only as needed) and it works as well as any dedicated unit i've tried. Hope that helped

Peace, Joshua

Hey D,

If you can't find the sweet spot on your current block EQ- the full on EQ would help...I'm sure your G-System has a great guitar EQ in it designed to hit those spots...My Pro-Q isn't a full EQ either- just gives more control and dynamics...

Hope that helps a bit...

Thanks guys. Just what I needed.
I'll stick with what I've got.
The current generation of T.C. algorithms are good enough for me.

Been looking at these Rane EQs for a while now. May have to get one. I like the idea of being able to have a different eq setting for each channel in my rig. Midi rules. :D