Mixed tubes.......

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mailman1971

Reaction score
Ok....went from all quad of EL34's to.........
pair of EL34 on the outside and a brand new pair of 6l6's in the middle.
freaking love the new tone!
rebias the amp(LOVE THAT FEATURE)
Gives me some lower end yet.......retains the HIGH glassy rock sound!
Perfect combo!
What you guys runnin?? :mrgreen:

Try the el34s in the middle.

I noticed on the rm100 whichever power tubes were in the cnter are more dominate in the tone.

i'm going to the Tubestore on Monday to buy sone TAD 6L6 to run in the middle between the JJ E34L on the outside. I got the TAD in my RM50 and it improved my tone 100%, so I'll do the mixed set on the rM100 to see how it sounds.

kbause said:
Try the el34s in the middle.

I noticed on the rm100 whichever power tubes were in the cnter are more dominate in the tone.
Hmmmmm......thanks 4 the tip!
Gonna have to swap them. But right now...PERFECT blend!
But....always tone CHASING!! :D

I run a pair of GTE34ls and Svet 6550s in the Mod 100 and it crushes same in the RT2/50 when in stereo :shock:

Reallt diggin the MIXED TUBES!!! Best of both worlds. Little more lower end from the 6l6's but the 'edge' from the el34's!
Easy to Bias.....sounds perfect...
You have to love the flexibility of the MTS!!! 8)

I won't run it any other way Dan. My secret blend is JJ EL34L's inside and either JJ or EH KT88's outside. The EH KT88's are actually a killer tube for the price. But that tube mix is "My tone" all the way.

Quick question on running the EL'34 in the middle...I know that the pairs need to be run either on the outside or in the middle, so the "Stronger" tubes or lower tubes should be on the outsides? Didnt get a chance to try it yet, but will later this week.
Thanks again for the tip! :wink:

I noticed in my experimentation that the inner tubes have a slightly dominant effect on the overall tone. When I have the EL34L's outside, the mids weren't as sweet and I lost a little cut. When I moved them inside, I got the chainsaw mids back and the huge headroom the KT88's offer. It wasn't bad, but it was worth noting.

Going to have to check that out for sure. Sometimes its just the "littlest" details that can make your tone sound good.....to GREAT! I am such a tweaker anyhow. Love to dive and and keep messing with my tones. Drives the rest of the guys in my band NUTS!
And the MTS is a PERFECT amp for tweakers! :D

Hi Ya folks! ...been awhile...hope everyone is cool. My other hobby is my Harley so been busy putting it back together for another season of open road heaven :D

...so...I need to ask if anyone has run the 88's outside with 6L6 inside combo? Would it be too bright? I figure with the big bad 88's, it might balance out nicely.

and question 2...what are you running for input and PI tubes? Right now, I'm running a TSol for the input and EH12AX7 for the PI.

Pedro

Latest posts