Mod 50 Got Buried By Bogner Shiva!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John Czajkowski said:
my 3 cents: I think that one of challenges playing with two guitarists or guitar and keys is the tendency to raise volumes to correct level issues. If he is drowning you out in sections, it is not just your problem.

I would second everything John has said (others too), and add the following:

Having played live with another guitarist in the band, I think the best thing that both of you can do is to dial in complimentary but significantly differing tones. If he's going for a mid-gain Fender style sound, go for something high gain/Marshally/Boogie-esque. If he's going for something really scooped, go for something really middy. And vice versa.

A lot of bands tend to use two guitars and sound like "one guitar playing two parts" ? I think you do yourselves and your music a real favor when you widen the tonal palate. Also, that way if you end up playing a venue in which, despite the best efforts of your other guitarist, the sound sucks and the guitars are competing again, the fact that the two tones are different means the audience will be able to pick them out that much easier anyway.

Just my two cents,
Orren

The difference between pros and amateurs. Pros listen and try to dial themselves into the mix of the band. Everyone else plays volume wars. When I was 17 I was in a band and used to get completely buried by the rhythm guitarist. He had this huge brutal monster of an ampeg and I had a fender twin with an added vox cabinet. After that I bought a SUNN 1200S. 6 X 12 cabinet and brutal 120 watts tube rms. But I still tried to keep within the sound level of the band. Guess which one of us went on to become pros.

But I digress. Most bands have very reasonable stage volumes set by the monitor mix. The amps are in soundless booths offstage making almost no noise. If you want to sound good, the volume has to be controlled. If you blast on stage it'll sound like crap in front.

I say, get a good sound, keep your amp at a decent volume and talk to the other guys in the band.