Mod for Metal and Leads

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rellik

Reaction score
Hey, I'll fill you guys in on some background info. I just got a Randall RM50B from a friend with Blackface, Tweed, and SL+ modules. Now, I really like the Blackface for cleans and the SL+ for a nice sort of power chord gain (can roll the volume back and get a nice clean), but the SL+ sounds a bit muddy or fuzzy during lead work for my tastes. Also, I haven't played the Tweed much, but it just doesn't feel like my style. I'll give it a bit though - may end up trading it for another module. My current guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul Standard if that makes any difference.

Alright, to the point. I am looking for a module with a heavy type of gain that can also give me a nice sort of clarity that can cut through the mix during solos or lead work. Just so you guys know what I believe a heavy/metal type of gain is.. Opeth, In Flames, Dream Theater.. but probably not dropping any further than D tuning for now anyways. I don't really like fuzzy/muddy leads. Is it possible to get a beefy metal sound that can also act as a lead?

Thanks for your time and any information you have.

Well, I am hunting down for the same metal gain that you want so far I've heard that the ultra XL and 1086 is good for heavy gain as well as the kh3 but I haven't seen the kh3 available anywhere and as far as the 1086 if your around some dealer you can probably get them there

There are no Randall dealers around here, so unfortunately, I cannot go and test or buy anything.

Any suggestions for the type of mod I described? Also, are there any good clips up for these mods? The Randall ones are very poor.

This is purely to give an idea of what I'm looking for. I really like the sound of the solo here.

A lead sound like this would make me very satisfied. http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guitar/willpower-solo/

Thanks for the help Mordified. That does sound pretty good, but I don't think it's exactly what I'm looking for. It would be nice if I had clips of all the typical high-gain mods that I could refer to. I have yet to hear an Ultra XL. :|

muzapstar said:
i got an ultra module i hope it's ok.

After all this time (I think I first got an MTS around 4 years ago now) the Ultra still brings a smile to my face.....I modded the c3 cap in every one I owned though. Orange Drop 0.001uf I think is the value..stock is higher anyway...

The 1086 is good and I always use it on 10 on the gain with the gain boost and I honestly have to say it still needs a little more kick to it in order for it to be really good.

yeah,i'm with JKD.the reg ULTRA module is definately my favorite when it comes to all-out crushing high-gain.it's the first module that i bought,about three years ago,with my RM50 head,and after trying ALL the other mts modules out there,it's still my favorite and keeps me smiling!!!

i love my ultra as well, it wins over my xl for brutality, i prefer my c3 stock, imo it beefs up and smooths out the gain a little, plus i got some mid mods going on and as of right now it will nail through the eyes of the dead tone

awww man,the party's crashed!!! lol... anyways,yeah,i a/b'd back & forth between the ULTRA & ULTRA XL and it was pretty close.i decided to keep the ULTRA.it just sounds meaner,to my ears.i tried a .001uF cap,but i thought it made the tone too thin and the feel was just too tight.then,per a suggestion from my old buddy RD/Rich,i put in a .0015uF bass cap,just like the ULTRA XL comes with,stock,from the factory.now that NAILED it.i thought the stock .0022uF cap tends to be a tad boomy,sometimes.the .0015uF seems to be the perfect value for the ULTRA,both leads & rhythm.just enough thickness & tightness.i really recommend trying this cap value!!! also,i had been using 6l6 power tubes all this time,but i've found that using el34's seems to "fit" the ULTRA's mid scoop better,filling that gap in a bit.THIS combination,of cap values & power tubes,sounds great for this module...it was the deciding factor to sell off the ULTRA XL module that i had also...

I'm actually still testing out my MTS stuff. I believe I'll keep the tweed for now. I'm debating on whether or not I should get an Ultra module now.. I keep hearing that it is amazing.

So what is the Ultra compared to tone wise. I have heard mixed thoughts on this. I have the Ultra Lead and i like it for an old school DEATH feel and all out crunch. But i am interested to know what results the Ultra produces and also the Ultra XL.

Does anyone have a Clip. Other than the Bandslink.com clips.

I've heard the Ultra compared to a 5150...never owned a 5150 so no idea if that's correct.

I think there are some clips of my ultra mods on my link... look at my sig, see what you think.

Pete

for old-school death metal,the reg ULTRA is the one! this module has a darker tone,lower-mids,somewhat scooped tone.the ULTRA XL comes across as a brighter version,of the aforementioned ULTRA,with more mids to it(less scoopy)and has more of an upper-mids peak.makes it cut through a band mix better.the ULTRA XL is the module that some folks are comparing similarities with the 5150...personally,i like the reg ULTRA better.somehow it just sounds meaner & slightly gainier...each module shines in its own way,though!!! hope that helps...