Modding Modules vs. Boosting

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crunchtime

Reaction score
I must admitt I am a boost junkie. I pretty much always use some type of pedal with my amps wheter it be a BBe Green Screamer, SD-1, or even an MXR 10 band eq. I love the way they seem to tighten things up and improve the feel.

How does the way my pedals affect the tone and feel of my amp compare to having a module modified? Is it worth it if I already own OD pedals and an EQ? I mostly play thrash type metal and on occasion some poor SRV imitations.

From what I've heard, think of the standard modules as a Ford Mustang. Now, think of the modded modules as a Mustang with (insert uber awesome engine that makes the Mustang's look like a rusty tin can), and then think of the boost pedals as a Nitro boost for it :)

apples and oranges

Yes to quality mods
Yes to the occassional boost for tonal diversity & increased edge

I'm actually going to stop boosting once i find the right the right combo and pre-amp tubes. My other guitarist has a 5150 and he slays my Ultra XL without him boosting. :evil:

tonymustang302 said:
I'm actually going to stop boosting once i find the right the right combo and pre-amp tubes. My other guitarist has a 5150 and he slays my Ultra XL without him boosting. :evil:

Also a long awaited goal of mine! :roll: :lol:

Run 2 heads with 2 modules that work well together. I no longer boost after using 2 heads in one stereo cab.

ex: Mr, Scary and Sl+/JCM800 = Flawless crunch

BRUTAL.

tonymustang302 said:

Right tone combination (ie. guitar, pre/power tubes, speakers and module mods) will help for sure....but I suggest just practicing without a boost...improve your technique.

Example - if you boost for palm muting tightness...then dial in less gain and bass and work on your right/left hand co-ordination and picking technique to try and produce the same tone.

...this can't work for everything, since there's boosted tones and feel change you can't get...but I rarely step on the boost when my tone is making me feel good these days.

JKD said:
tonymustang302 said:

Right tone combination (ie. guitar, pre/power tubes, speakers and module mods) will help for sure....but I suggest just practicing without a boost...improve your technique.

Example - if you boost for palm muting tightness...then dial in less gain and bass and work on your right/left hand co-ordination and picking technique to try and produce the same tone.

...this can't work for everything, since there's boosted tones and feel change you can't get...but I rarely step on the boost when my tone is making me feel good these days.

WORD!!!

Someone mentioned in a earlier post....3 modded modules is worth 10 stock ones and I couldnt agree more. But the boost is always a nice "touch" to the tone. As long as its not overdone, then the tone does tend to "thin" out a little.

I run a SD-1 I modded as a clean boost (volume on full, gain off) about 85% of the time on my high gain channels and occasionally on my clean channel. I use it for coloration to give me 6 flavors instead of the 3 I have in my RM100. It is more about how the frequency response changes to me than any gain boost. I like the effect the SD-1 can add more than any other tone shaping tool I have used (gain or EQ). It is now voiced just right for me and I love the options it gives me.