Module recommendations?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vman

Reaction score
Hi all,

I?m new to the forum because I?ve recently purchased an RM100 head. It came with Clean, Rectified and Ultra modules. The Rectified is my favorite and I will probably hang on to that one. The clean was unimpressive and I?m not crazy about the Ultra so I just bought a JF trilogy to replace that one. I?m keeping my fingers crossed on that one when it arrives. I also just bought a Blackface stock to replace the Clean and it sounds great?..but I wish it just had a little more gain. I?d like something that has great cleans, but also where I can crank up the gain to get a good?.let?s say?Mellencamp Hurts So Good sound. I play in a couple different bands and play everything from country to Pantera so I?m trying to make the rig as versatile as possible. Any recommendations for what module I might want to check out for the clean channel?

Thanks for the help!

First of all, I think you'll be very happy with the Trilogy. I recently A/Bd an Ultra and a Trilogy, and it was no contest. Be prepared to use some pretty bizarre EQ settings on it, though! If you dial this in with typical settings, it will sound way too midrangey and probably not very good. My personal favorite setting on it is 5150 I mode, with both the tightness and voice switches in the up position, in lead mode, with knobs set as follows:

Gain: 4
Bass: 6-7
Mid: 2-3
Treble: 4

Anyway, about the cleans, I can definitely report that the Salvation Twinface sounds great with the gain dimed. It also does a wonderful clean Twin sound. However, I wasn't as interested the other tones that it does (pushed and Deluxe) so I don't think I would ever be willing to invest the amount of money in it that it costs. I have a Jaded Faith Voxless that is one of my main choices for clean. It actually only just barely manages a pristine clean sound--you have to just barely turn up the gain, and dime the master. It sounds very nice though, particularly in the DC30 mode. Its main bread and butter is jangly breakup tones, but it also does a pretty nice chimey Marshall type crunch (again, I like it best in the DC30 mode). That could be an option.

I am planning to send a Blackface off too Voodoo to get their Twin mod at some point. I'm planning on asking for a gain range that would give me pristine Fender cleans with the gain in the 2-3 zone, and nice vintage crunch with the gain dimed. I understand that Trace at Voodoo is all about working with customers to get exactly what they're after.

I use a KH-1 and I just got JF super clean. The KH-1 in my opinion is bright with a crisp edge. Where the super clean can be bright and sparkely, and with a little tweek very warm and mellow.

I totally dig the Voxless, it has that jangalang clean but can be fat in the bottom if you want it to. Roll up the gain and she can do some good Fizzy OD. think Matchbox 20, Collective Soul, Foo Fighters kinda midgain stuff. There is also a gain boost and it is very pronounced. I myself speak for the AC30 side, as I haven't really experimented with the Matchless DC30 side much. The Voxless is definitely versatile, which is something I like when recording. Sometimes I spend more time tweaking then 'playing' but not in a bad way, if you know what I mean.

If you love the recto, just get it modded it will be 400% better, I gaurunte.

If I had to pick one right now it would be the 59RR. It does so much for one module.

JF XTC from what I've heard is one of the most versatile modules out there. It has the clean to dirt Plexi mode, Blue and Red channels. A "Tour de Force in gain staging" according to Rob's description. I think it would give you great flexibility in one module, covering much ground. I have one on the way soon, ill report my findings if you'd like!

Hey how about another mod to consider? Lol

From what you described, I immediately thought of Jaded Faith's Plexi Tweed. There are audio demos on the site.

http://www.jadedfaithmods.com/Replica_Mods.html

Salvation has lots of demos on their mod pages too.

http://salvationmods.com/index.php?page=modifications

Latest posts