module volume knob cuts in and out??! help!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the crush 36

Reaction score
Had a show over the weekend and for some reason the master volume on my stock ultra module Well when turning up the volume knob it was kind of cutting out while turning the knob I used some contact cleaner on the pots inside the module and switched out preamp tubes but next night I had same problem its kind of like a scratchey pot sound but I had to turn knob back and fourth before it would get loud enough if you know what I mean and I just installed new power amp tubes to has anyone ever had a problem like this?

I got a JF Erect used and I had the same issue with the treble knob. Tried everything you did with no change. Sent it to rob for repair.

We've seen this several times. The way the pots are held in place to the front panel tends to cause this. Some times properly re-soldering can resolve this but 50% of the time you need to replace the pot. Cleaning the pots on the modules never seems to resolve this problem.

For what it's worth;
Trace

Trace is spot on there. I probably see 2-4 modules a week with this problem easily. There are typically hairline fractures in the pots that can only be found when it's taken apart and removed. You're likely going to need to replace that pot.

Ok I'm gonna do this repair myself 1 question I'm gonna take a pot out of old reco moduel I was keeping for a doner does it matter what pot I take out of reco moduel between the gain pot bass pot mid pot or do I have to match the pot I remove

the crush 36 said:
Jaded Faith said:
Match the pot value and taper to get the same results as before.

Can't I just unsoder pot from doner moduel and replace the pot that has the problem?
Why not just buy a new pot? They are pretty inexpensive. Then you won't have a dead module laying around. If you get that other mod back in the game, you will need a new pot anyway. If the pot you are taking out of the donor is the same value, it would work, but why go through all the extra hassle of unsoldering an old pot? Just my 2 cents...

Well i have a show on Friday I went to radio shack. To get a pot they don't have **** I was in a pinch but my buddy on here mike let me use his modded sl so now I have time to order a pot

You can take a working pot from the donor. I was just pointing out you will want to use one of the same value and taper to ensure it works the same as the one you are replacing.