Modules for Green Day

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewiv

Reaction score
I have been asked, and I may accept the role, to front a Green Day cover band. I figure the tunes are easy enough and I'm not doing anything band wise at the moment since the other guitarist in my last band is going through a divorce and moved to TX. At least it will keep me involved in some sort of music project. The lyrics are going to be the hardest part I'm guessing. I learned about six tunes on guitar just last night. As I listen, Billie Joe uses a surprisngly decent amount of tones across, and even within, albums. I looked up a rig list and he has Bassmans, Hi Watts, Marshalls, etc. I want to use a MOD50 because the MOD100 is just too combersome and so is the footswitch necessary for it. So, what two dual channel modules would you use. I'm leaning towards trying the JF HW-103 and the SG MK22 (possibly Salvation Mash-All). I was also surprised by the fact Green Day is pretty low gain (for me anyway). I will obviously try different modules as we get this thing going, but I was looking for a starting point and suggestions.

Got any guitars with P-90s? I'm not too knowledgeable about Green Day but I do know that Billie Joe uses a Les Paul Jr. with a single P-90 in the bridge these days. I'm not sure if that was true back in the '90s as well.

Seems he used Strats (single coils) in the EARLY stuff. I do have one guitar with a P90 neck pickup, I was thinking that might be an issue as well. Most my Ibanez are wired to split coils on humbuckers so I'm good there. I recently passed up Musician's Friend's deal of the day on the SE Korina single cut with P90 for $395.

This probably worries me the most, I hate my playing through a single coil.

zepplin490 said:
Sounds like a pretty borring gig unless you like playing the same basic power chords all nite.
-mp-

That's about all I'm good for anyway. :lol:

zepplin490 said:
Sounds like a pretty borring gig unless you like playing the same basic power chords all nite.
-mp-

He said "front" not just play guitar....big difference there....

Very True Youve gotta learn to sing something like him and while the power chord patterens that greenday plays in most of their material timing it all with the singing could be a task.. good luck!
-mp-

Ain't nothing boring about music that's all power chords as long as the songs are good.

As far as I know, Billie Joe uses Plexi-amps which are modded. It's called the "dookie mod" (more gain with an additional gain stage and a master volume I think). The amp himself is called Pete :)

In the old days he was playing a strat with single sized sh-4.

Hope that helps...

Any Marshall mod will get you close enough. 99% of the people in the crowd wouldn't know the difference anyway. Only the gear nerds like us would even care.

It's true, 99% power chords and the songs I've worked on the vocals aren't that hard to do while singing... so far. :D Learning the lyrics is definitely going to be the hardest part. Actually, the music is much more fun than I thought, I think I'm selling it to myself. I really liked Green Day back in the day, but listening to it now, it's "better" musically than I presumed. Not saying it's difficult to play, just really catchy, fun and some **** good tunes (IMO).

I knew he had a Marshall in the beginning a Plexi or JCM800? I'll take it from a previous post it was a Plexi. His gear list appears to be more diverse these days, but only the guitar nerds will hear the tone. I have to remind myself of that frequently. Maybe I'll just use my Voodoo modded Marshall SLP or Surreal Atomica? I'll have plenty of time to figure it out.

I can always get an all single coil pick guard for one of my top routed RGs, cheap solution and a guitar I'm intimate with. An even cheaper solution is just use the split coil.

Thanks for the input. Haven't done full-time lead vocals in YEARS. I wonder if I still have it or can sing for 90 minutes straight. My wife is a huge fan, but I'm sure she's biased.

Thanks again guys!

59RR w/diode clipping.
I remember reading back in the mid-90s he was using a JCM900 with a standard 1960 cab.

When I was in seventh grade, I was looking through my mom's CDs, and I said "What's this? 'Dookie'?" She said "Oh, you should borrow that, you might like it". I took it to school and some friends and I were listening to it on a school computer, and a teacher confiscated it because of the swear words. I had to sit through a stern lecture from him after school to get it back. "Do your parents know you have this?" he asked. Pretty funny in retrospect.

drewiv said:
I have been asked, and I may accept the role, to front a Green Day cover band. I figure the tunes are easy enough and I'm not doing anything band wise at the moment since the other guitarist in my last band is going through a divorce and moved to TX. At least it will keep me involved in some sort of music project. The lyrics are going to be the hardest part I'm guessing. I learned about six tunes on guitar just last night. As I listen, Billie Joe uses a surprisngly decent amount of tones across, and even within, albums. I looked up a rig list and he has Bassmans, Hi Watts, Marshalls, etc. I want to use a MOD50 because the MOD100 is just too combersome and so is the footswitch necessary for it. So, what two dual channel modules would you use. I'm leaning towards trying the JF HW-103 and the SG MK22 (possibly Salvation Mash-All). I was also surprised by the fact Green Day is pretty low gain (for me anyway). I will obviously try different modules as we get this thing going, but I was looking for a starting point and suggestions.

99% of Dookie was a off-the-shelf metallic green Fender Tele with 11-56 strings that I set up for Billie while working at the Guitar Center in Berkeley back in 1993. The amp was a 1979 50 watt JMP master volume head owned by Rob Cavallo, their producer at the time.

Hope this helps!

There's only one band that provokes me running to the radio to change the station (or break the radio)... But good luck and have fun with it drewiv!

Latest posts