More noob questions...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corium_AZ

Reaction score
Question thread #2 :)

I have a couple general questions about the RM100's:

I'd really like to avoid having more than one or two pedals, as I'm busy enough as-is with lead vocals, a vocal processor, guitar duties, occasional keys, etc. My current head (HK Switchblade 100) is an all-MIDI head, with built-in digital reverb, chorus, flange, and trem. I literally need nothing but the 5 button footswitch for 128 programmable presets for all 4 channels and effects. The HK sounds great (all tube as well), just not as great as these mod amps. But, the ease of use is gonna be hard to beat.

All I really need is reverb and chorus/flange in the effects loop, and likely a tube screamer at my feet to give me more versatility on each mod.

How useful is the MIDI switching on this amp? Is it programmable to the point where I can have say a 5 button switch, each triggering a channel and/or the effects loop? IE - 1 = Clean (module #1) with effects (reverb, flange), 2 = Clean without effects, 3 = module #2 with effects, 4 = module #2 no effects, 5 = module #3 no effects.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Any links to applicable instructions or example setups?

Thanks.

- Bruce J.

The effects loop is not defeatable via MIDI in these amps. You can run MIDI through to your effects processor to run it wet or dry as an alternative. Otherwise you would need a MIDI switching system like a Voodoo Labs GCX to bypass the effect and/or loop.

As a tech who works on TONS of amps and recently had a Switchblade on my bench, the H&K won't be missed at all. You will have to switch up your work flow for setup, but it's a small price to pay.

Are there any suggestions for a good, and not too expensive effects processor that will work in this setting? I prefer buying used, so stuff a few years old is preferrable.

Digitech GSP1101 in 4CM is hard to beat with either my RM100 or Mod 50 - wah etc. before the amp and time / space based in the effect loop - best of both worlds and the midi is pretty simple too ;-)

Ross

+1 on the GSP1101 or its predecessor the Lexicon MPX G2. Both can be had used for around the same price and work great with the mts line.

Any thoughts on the TC Electronics G-Major? I believe those are very similar. I've had good luck with all my other TC products.

Sorry, this post is now diverging, lol.

I've never tried the TC stuff but the Gmajor was/is kinda the standard with about 50% love and 50% between there and hate.. I have heard reliability is possibly an issue that was helped with the Gmajor2. I'm cheap and buy everything used so I started with a Digitech ValveFX then went to a Rocktron Intellifex and the difference was pretty big. I really like the Intellifex for the sound and the price. GSP1101 is what I wanted but can't justify the cost for me sitting in my house, lol. But then again, hard to justify all the **** in my sig either..

Welcome aboard from south of you.. 8)

The TC Gmajor 2 would be a decent unit, had a Gmajor 1, carshed/froze on my every third time i fired it up. sounds were decent to really good, just have written off most TC stuff since then. although if someone wants to help me change my mind by letting me use their 2290 on a "long term loan" basis. please PM me. :) lol

Thanks for the replies. I too have found through reasearch and reviews that the G-Major seems to have reliability issues. I can't go for that, as we do pretty big gigs fairly regularly, and my gear has to be tough and work.

In searching the forum, and by your advice, I think I'll start with an Intellifex. I've found a good deal on a used one, including a 5 or 6 switch foot pedal, for $150, and I need both. I really only need light reverb, chorus/flange, and maybe some slight delay, and dont want my tone colored much. Seems to fit all of those needs to me.

I'll let y'all know how it all works out!

I have the GSP 1101 and use it with my RM4. I am sure it will do the same thing with the RM100. It is so cool that using a midi chord, I can switch programs on the digitech and it will automatically switch to the mod I want. I am a midiot and even I could set this thing up. Plus the 1101 sounds great and has the pretty good digital models. I was at a rehearsal and my RM4 stopped working. I plowed on with the models which are not that bad really. Nowhere near the MTS mods though!

ricky - Thanks for the RE. The Digitech unit does look like a nice piece of gear, but a-bit too pricey for my limited needs.

I picked up a used Rocktron Intellifex for $150 today, and it came with a MIDI-Mate floor controller. Smokin deal all around, and it will likely serve my purposes.

I'll post up thoughts once I get it and try it out.

Corium,
a big amen to what WARLOK said.
I own and use an H/K 50 watt Switchblade combo..good amp, but yeah MTS is also REALLY pro gear.
Re Fx: if you want bullett proof get a Rocktron Intellifx or similar they are incredibly solid. And in terms of stepping on tone..they are engineered to avoid all tone suckage. The way they handle signal is all about that.
The Gmajor 1 is good but yeah exactly on the reliability issues. They contracted with a firm in southeast asia and they did a very fragile build. The Gmaj2 was done different and is better in the build dept...still not bullet proof, but better. Neither are as road-tough as any Rocktron Rack Fx processors I have owned..and I have owned all that you would be interested in, I feel.
I hear ya on being the guy who does the singing, the guitaring and everything else..you dont need any more hassles.
Buy a Rocktron unit, and a good solid midi switcher and be done with it.
The ground control is a strong floor unit...although its too big,imho...but Tech 21 makes some more reasonable designs that offer good trade-offs for size and abilties.(midi mouse comes to mind)
Be well..keep on Rockin'
GtrGeorge

I would consider a used Axe FX Ultra or Standard as well seeing they're world class FX boxes that also contain some decent amp models.

I currently use my old Axe FX Ultra along with a Two Notes Torpedo CAB with MTS gear (and a vintage Kittyhawk Quattro), and it's simply the best FX box I've ever had. The Ultra can run up to 18 - 20 FX pre and post gain, routed however you like, in parallel or series, all under MIDI control, in 2U).

Axe FX Standards and Ultras have been obsoleted by the Axe FX II, so they're available relatively cheap these days. To give you an idea, my Ultra currently runs the following setup...

2 Mixers, 1 Cab/Speaker/Mic Sim, 3 EQ's, Compressor, Gate, 2 Reverbs, 2 Pitchshifters, 1 Tremelo/Pan, 2 Volume/Pan, 1 Chorus/Flanger, 3 Delays, 1 Wah, 1 Looper (it's very basic but it works), all of which is using about 65% CPU (the Ultra is stable up to about 90% CPU so it can do more in theory, though there are some bugs at the limits).

NOTE: A Standard has only 1 CPU vs 2 CPU's for the Ultra, so it will run far fewer FX etc, though for a standard setup of a couple of OD's, a delay, reverb, phaser, flanger and wah etc it would be fine.

I'd also agree that if looking for something great sounding but real cheap ($100 or so), the old Rocktron FX boxes are hard to beat. I've used a Intellifex before and while it was limited to Reverb and 8 voice Chorus it really did sound great (wish I still had it LOL!).

I reread the posts..and somehow I missed that Corium, bought a Rocktron Fx and Midimate...
well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can't think of a better way to meet your needs,based on what you wrote. Now go ROCK!!!
GtrGeorge

Latest posts