Mr. Scary and the SLO

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julia

Reaction score
It is pretty well known that Lynch used a SLO on Lynch Mob's "Wicked Sensation". What is not known is if he had the 5881 version or the EL34 version. See Mike Soldano (yes I personally asked him) used to make an EL34 version of the SLO.

Then there's the cabinet Lynch used then. I'm assuming he stayed with his Marshall cabs which at the time may have contained the G12-65 or G12-75, or maybe even a Vintage 30, but I don't think the V-30 with his tones since at one time he favored Fanes.

So I guess what I'm trying to figure out is that since people who have had SLOs say Mr. Scary sounds different and more Marshall which version of teh SLO Lynch had at the time.

One other thing is that with my V-30 cab Mr. Scary takes on more of a Soldano flavor, and with my Greenback cab it has more of that Marshall "bark". I'm using 6550s so the power tubes really aren't coming into play at my volume level.

I have a TM2X12 loaded with a stock E80 and a ET65. I also have an Egnater 1X12 loaded with a Super V. The Super V is much more crunchy than the 2X12 when used with my JF Scary and Gigmods Ultra XL.

I would love to A/B these modules with a SLO to find out how close (or far apart) they are. I can dial them in to be almost identical but the Ultra XL seems to be a touch clearer than the Scary.

though the Hot Rod 50 is a different beast... Bill Sundt says not by much if it's a 93 or earlier.
Same preamp same components grade built on same line as SLO up to and including 93.
I used to own a 93 HR50 that I had the opportunity to A/B with an SLO. Yes the SLO sounded different... better... but in reality both were close and there was no mistaking the HR50 has SLO blood running in it's veins. That said the Mr Scary was very close to my HR50. Even the dials acted very similar. To my ears the Mr Scary has a little more teeth and a more 3 dimensional tone than the HR50 but that could be the JJ tubes in the power amp of the randall. The Mr Scary is not as refined and polished as the real deal but it is definetly very close to that tone in my opinion.
Ofcourse SLO owners are going to say it sounds different simply because it does but in my honest opinion it is the closest I've heard and way ahead of any of the digital moddelling out there. Plus at it's price it's a welcome substitute.

I miss my Soldano HR50 and would love to own a SLO ( early production ). Recently I missed out on one that ended up in John Mayer's collection... should have grabbed it. It was a private sale and was a single digit serial number. Steven Segal who played in the early 90's with April Wine sold it. Steve was kind enough to contact me and give me dibs on it however I foolishly passed it up. I contacted Steve recently to ask if it was still available... silly me :oops:

I use the Mr Scary as my main lead tone it just kills!

Actually I believe Lynch used Genz Benz cabs for the WS album. These were pre GFlex days and were non-ported, but still front loaded.

Here's a pic of gear used on his solo album Sacred Groove:

georgelynch.jpg

so basically we're looking at a composite tone, not one specific amp. and this tone will be affected by speakers cab and choice of speakers as well.

I guess copping that tone exactly is kind of like trying to get SRV's tone from his "In Step" album where his tone is a composite of 32 different amplifiers that were in different isolation rooms in teh studio.

So the solution here is to just stop trying to figure it out and accept the bottom line:

* do I like the tone of the module? Yes.
* no problem.

this is true... it's an endless discussion if we pursue replication... the Mr Scary is close to the SLO there is no doubt about it... It has that dimensional quality and all that jazz... great module for rhythm and lead low mid and hi gain... love it.
Speaking of the module on it's own merits it has a great agressive upper mid bark with focused lows and cutting highs with no ice pik. Very dimensional, great clarity, quick attack... it's the best modded Plexi/JCM 800 module Randall created.
I use it for my main lead tone but will soon switch it to my main rhythm tone once my signature module is finalized.

Latest posts