Mr. Scary vs. KH-2

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usrname

Reaction score
I've got the Mr. Scary module at the moment and generally I can get some good tones out of it for 80's metal and some heavier stuff like Slayer and Megadeth, but it seems kind of on the loose side. I've been wondering about the KH-2. How much are these two alike, different? How much do these two overlap? How versatile is the KH-2? Is it Marshally sounding - more or less than the Scary?

I'm looking for something as close to a JCM800 (+ boosted) tone as possible. Am I barking up the wrong tree? How about the 1086? Should I go the modded route? Any suggestions would be well appreciated. Thanks.

How old is your Scary?

what is the bass cap C3 value .if its a .001 it should be pretty freakin tight

every time I read about that mod and the clips I have heard are tight and percussive....

Def not the 1086. I dont know the KH2 very well. the time i played through one, it sounded close to the SL+. maybe try a JCM800 modded SL+.

need to "tighten" it up? Turn down your density a little and see if that helps. It's not really modeled after a Marshall JCM800. It's more in Soldanoland.

as I mentioned before I personally did not care for the KH2.
I tried it through a KH100 and Lynch cab .

I played with it for about 10 mins .
If you are looking for a TIGHT marshally mod I am not sure this is it although again your opinion may be totally different .

to me it was woofy in the bass looser ,pretty dark and dry.

the Kh3 to my ears was cooler sounding .i think a Turly modded plexi .SL+ is your best route ...

The stock tubes it came with , ruby, I thought helped contribute more to the Kh2's slightly heavy bottom and mids. Putting in a different tube helped that module imo get a little more clarity on the bottom. Great module, I had one, and just bought another, hopefully it will be as good as I remember

Well, looks like the consensus is a Pete modded SL+. Could I get the same results by getting a stock SL+ and doing the JCM800 mod that's posted on this site?