MTS Ownership Review

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've had a RM100M since 2007, bought it myself brand new and its been nothing but trouble. Hands down the worst amp I've ever owned, sadly because I love the idea behind it. I've had tubes red plate yes maybe not the amps fault but 3 times when biased perfectly, had to go in for repairs three times to the official randall repair guy in Brisbane Australia. Who btw keeps replacing and charging me for EL34 urgh while throwing out my 6l6. In fact one very rude amp tech refused to do the work unless I purchased his terrible sounding cheap el34 and would NOT use my matched, still in the packet Mesa Boogie 6l6 because apparently "Mesa Boogie don't know what they're doing." Fuses blowing endlessly including the main power fuse and before I get attacked with people accusing me of not knowing what I am doing, believe me I do and this is such an ongoing problem. I've been a mod over on Boss GT central for years and used a lot of stuff over my 15yrs of playing and while the MTS series sounds good the quality leaves a lot to be desired as far as, electronics go.

Feel free to flame or ban me but after 5 years of ownership I feel the need to vent and put this out there. Running anything other than el34 has been a complete disaster, including but not limited to running two tubes instead of 4 and of course in the correctly matched positions 1-4 & 2-3. :roll: :roll:

I feel for the price I paid 5yrs ago I could have purchased something of much higher quality. :(

Had my RM 100C (now a head) 3+ years.

Never been to the shop. Always loaded with 6L6s and EL34s. I play almost every day and almost always with this amp.

One blown power tube. I replaced it and a fuze. Blaming this on me, bought cheaper tubes, got less life. Back to Winged Cs for me.

One 12AX7 went bad, replaced all of them and always replace inverter with power tubes (about once a year.)

Also have a RM22 and have an RM 100M on the way.

I bought an Ampeg VL 503 (VL stands for very loud!) before the Randall which is very versital but the MTS is way more so. And being able to get modules tweaked without sending the whole amp out is awesome. Both amps can do Fender and Marshall tones with a stomp, but the MTS does it better (modded modules.) Now with 2 RM 100s, I MAY send out one at a time for some tweaks.

Biggest issue I have with MTS is GAS. Can't even tell you how many modules I've had. Not as many as some but I'm sure more than most. There are 9 or 10 laying around my basement now. Two of them I'm thinkin' about sending to Voodoo. But first I have to STOP BUYING AMPS!

Ever consider that yours may just be a lemon? You know, the exception to the rule...as in it's not the entire series of amps, it's just yours?

Yeah, we hear stories on both sides of the board - those that have been unlucky enough to get MTS amps (seems like largely RM100s?) that give them nothing but problems, and which they can never seem to get fixed - and those who have basically never had any major issue, even over years of constant playing. I think it's pretty fair to say that all amps are subject to issues, and while build quality is certainly something to factor in, I don't think it's any particular problem with the MTS system itself. Randall probably cut some corners in production and that probably resulted in inconsistent quality. I remember Julia lamenting over having similar nightmares with Marshalls. Sorry to hear about your troubles with the amp, but if I were you, I'd dump the lemon and buy a used one that you know is in good working order, especially given how cheaply they can be had right now.

No one is going to ban anyone for saying bad things about Randall amps. There have been plenty of threads saying similar things. I've never had a huge issue, but some little annoying ones. I've also had some issues with some rather expensive brands - it is what it is. I was having some little issues with my RM100 and didn't want to sell it with the issues. So, I sent it to Bruce to convert it to have the capabilites to accept dual channel modules and give it a good Egnater once over. I'm thinking that'll be $400 well spent. When in doubt, call on Bruce.

It's very frustrating having something you want to like give you so much trouble. I agree with rhequiem; dump it and try another. If you really like MTS and are worried about going through the same issues, find a MOD50 or MOD100.

Totally agree. Sorry I wasn't being a smartass, just in a hurry this morning. Hopefully you can at least try another one out cause once you're up and running, I'm sure you'll be smiling.

Sorry to hear that. You just somehow got a lemon. I have owned my rm50
For 6 years and have put 1 fuse in it and have went back and forth with el34 and 6l6's. I have never replaced any bad power tubes or preamps. I only say this so someone that is thinking of jumping in doesn't think their all bad or have quality issues. It does not reflect on your bad experience. Just that I have one that has been rock solid.yes I know it is a 50 and your discussing the 100. You should sell it and get a good one.

I'm new and thinking of getting an MTS system. Any suggestions on what to buy to avoid issues? Like should I avoid the RM100's?

If your buying new, then probably, since no previous owner who could "test" a RM100 out for you. I think the main issue tended to be with the RM100s. I have not heard any real reliability complaints from RM50, Kirk Hammett or George Lynch heads and combos. Nor has there been any consistent issues with the RM4 & RT2/50 setups. The Scott Ian heads are pretty new, so not sure if issues could start arising on that soon.

If you are concerened with the Randall 100 watt heads, you could always go with the Egnater MOD100. The benefit here would be the luxury of having dual modules (in essence) 6 channels.

I totally hear ya, brother.

I have owned a rm4, a rm50 combo and now a rm22.

Thats 3 amps and only one was a tad weird. I couldnt figure it out..and I never gelled with it..so I sold it at a low cost. If I was an amp technical guy i wouldve looked into that one particular amp...but life is short and when I looked at the time versus dollars situation it wasnt tough to just try a whole other amp. Glad i did, the rm22 suits my needs better (that rm50 is LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

So I agree, try another..the platform is deserving that..you deserve that. I think the MTS idea is the best way to go for pretty much anyone.

GtrGeorge

I had a rm100 rm50 rt250
I now have a rm100KH, rm20, & rm4

The rt250 was bought used, winded up in repair shop & brought back 100%
No other issues, great quality IME

Latest posts