My Ultra Module cuts out..positional..HELP!!!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GtrGeorge!

Reaction score
Hi,
I love my RM4..had it for a few weeks now (with an RT2/50 as well). And the Ultra module which had been fine up until 2 days ago now cuts out. I undo the turn screws (like I am gonna remove it) and suddenly the volume is back where it should be. But if I tighten the screws the sound cuts out.
What is the fix? Has this happened to anyone else?? Help me out...I love my amp!!!
-George

I sprayed some tuner-cleaner on the contacts (the strip at the rear of the module)..and nothing is any better. I also notice that when the unit is pulled out a little things work well...but it is so sensitive to position that a little move to the left or right causes gain to drop...or severly reduce...sometimes there is a bit of feedback, if moved a certain way...
what is going on????????????????????????????????????/
I love the module..up until this problem.
Any Randall employess have a suggestion to fix this???
It worked fine up until a few days ago. What could have changed?

One thing you can check... move the module to another slot. That'll indicate whether the problem is on the module itself or the slot it's in. (In the telco world we call that "froggin' a circuit") ;)

I agree w/ what other people have said so far. Defiantly switch it to another slot and try lightly rubbing the contacts w/ a pencil eraser. I'm not a huge fan of contact cleaners. I think the moisture just attracts more dirt and grime so that after a short time the problem comes back.

One other thing, did you recently change the tubes in the module and remove the tube shield. It's possible the screws were tightened down to hard and just need a little relief. You can look at the module straight on from the contact side. If the module bowls in the middle, you should try loosening the screws a hair.

Re: Contact cleaners. I've found DeoxIT D5 by Caig Labs to be very good on most any electrical contact including batteries. I have 3 (yes 3) Seymour Duncan Convertible 100watt amps. If anyone remembers, under a top cover, it has 5 preamp modules that plug in via an edge connector. This is also what prompted me to buy the RM4-RT2/50 system to begin with. D5 has resurrected more than a few pots that previously would have been junked. I simply carefully wipe off any excess after it has done it's job. It actually improves conductivity. Pat L.

The module behaves the same no matter what slot I move it to.
The pot cleaner made no difference...but thanks now I know what a good tuner cleaner is.
I havent done the pencil trick..got no pencils at the house.....yet.

I put in 2 rubber grommets on the screws that we turn to lock our modules in...and the module now works right. But it makes me wonder. What changed to REQUIRE this??? Maybe the little contacts at the rear of the module have an issue (besides being clean).
In the photo enclosed can anyone tell me..is this solder connection PROPER? It looks almost after--market.[/img]

Pic at
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.editAlbumPhotos&albumID=536266&MyToken=7320f615-0335-4c9d-be32-847c78ece658

was it a solder joint at the back of the module??
like in the photo I refered to. There is a solder job there that looks "last minute",.....it connects two adjoining contacts that sit next to one another.
Other modules have this already or not at all. The Ultra I own has a solder-joint that makes a connection that the PCB didn't provide when it was made....
accident....improvement?
Anybody know?