N00b says Hi & check out my RM100

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ethanw

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I just traded for the RM100M2 seen in the pic and found my way to this forum. I'm currently trying to dial it in a little, new tubes have helped for sure. I guess this is an older RM100? It sounds pretty good but I guess I like a lot of gain because it doesn't seem to have quite enough.

Ethan

o4Tqzms.jpg

We one to the club!

And, you will not be wanting for gain, once you have the right modules - that much I can guarantee you!

Corium_AZ said:
We one to the club!

And, you will not be wanting for gain, once you have the right modules - that much I can guarantee you!
/

Thanks. And yes, I see everyone is using modded/custom modules, might have to grt me some of those.

Tschrama, that is a lot of weight but the Manly Uberschall can handle it. It does look pretty stupid though! I'll be reorganizing the Stack 0' Doom soon. I just did that temporarily as my speaker cord was short.

Ethan

Hi Ethan, Good luck with all of this. It's both fun and wonderful but also a little insane at the same time. ;)

chas_w (Charles) has this module http://www.jadedfaithmods.com/erect.html for sale in the classified section. It's a pretty good deal (I think), and it might be something to get you started with some more gain.

I'm the one that purchased his Trilogy. He shipped it fast and packed it well.

Also I just recently bought a Criminal Module from Motorcity Mods. If you like that 5150, you'll probably like that Module a lot. It's based on a Soldano/5150 (Or so I've read). The Trilogy I just bought from Charles is also based on the 5150, but the Criminal seems to have more gain. It's similar gain to the Red channel on the MarkUS I have (which is based on a Mesa amp) but the tone is similar to the 5150. It's limited in what it can do, because it doesn't have a lot of voicing options and etc like a lot of other Mods do, but it sounds really nice. It also doesn't seem to squeal at me as much as the Trilogy even though it has more gain.

Hope this helped. ...and enjoy the ride ;)

Corium_AZ said:

Let's be real here, that ultra has gain in excess amounts, if it doesn't, I'd check the V1
of the modules and amp to see if a 12AT/Y/U has been popped in

Nightdare said:
Corium_AZ said:

Let's be real here, that ultra has gain in excess amounts, if it doesn't, I'd check the V1

Well, the head has some gain (and all new pre's), but look what it's up against. The 5153 really has a massive amount of gain, 7 preamp tubes. The RM just feels like it needs a little more, maybe the other heads have me spoiled.

Ethan

If all you're looking for is crazy gain, check out the demos on our friendly modders sites.
http://www.jadedfaithmods.com/mts-mods.html
http://salvationmods.com/index.php?page=modifications
http://www.shop.motorcitymods.com

They have demos on most.

Salvation has it's own Chupacabra, and Jaded Faith has it's own XMG+. Both with lots of gain.

Oregon said:
If all you're looking for is crazy gain, check out the demos on our friendly modders sites.
http://www.jadedfaithmods.com/mts-mods.html
http://salvationmods.com/index.php?page=modifications
http://www.shop.motorcitymods.com

They have demos on most.

Salvation has it's own Chupacabra, and Jaded Faith has it's own XMG+. Both with lots of gain.

I wouldn't say crazy gain is all I'm looking for, I like a little tone thrown in there now and then, lol. Thanks for the links, I'll check them out. It looks like most of the guys on this forum are using modded modules so I guess I'm not the only only one.

Nightdare said:
Corium_AZ said:

What? Ultra is lame on gain LoL

The top gain slot on my RM100 (when I got it) was an UltraXL, which has much more gain than an Ultra... and still the UltraXL doesn't have nearly enough gain for me. It a nice module but its a bit bland.

Ethan, Check out those modules I posted. Yes it's just my opinion (as Matt was pointing out) but... ;)

suphuckers said:
Nightdare said:
Corium_AZ said:

What? Ultra is lame on gain LoL

The top gain slot on my RM100 (when I got it) was an UltraXL, which has much more gain than an Ultra... and still the UltraXL doesn't have nearly enough gain for me. It a nice module but its a bit bland.

Ethan, Check out those modules I posted. Yes it's just my opinion (as Matt was pointing out) but... ;)

Ethan-I just noticed something on your picture- It looks like you have your gain set about noon or 1pm on your other amps and you have it dimed on the Ultra XL. If thats the case and you still have "less" gain on coming from your Randall on that mod, something is wrong....I would check the items Nightdare mentions... I also agree with him on the gain available from a stock Ultra XL- I never had the gain past noon on that mod ( and that was for leads) Lots of gain available.

Suphuckers- When you say you need more gain or that the UltaXL is lame of gain
:shock: Are you referring to lead tones? My experience has always been more gain equals mud in the mix- Doesnt matter if its with my band or recording.... Lead tones are a bit different though and many people like to use a lot of saturation for solos...

rblyn said:
:shock: Are you referring to lead tones? My experience has always been more gain equals mud in the mix- Doesnt matter if its with my band or recording.... Lead tones are a bit different though and many people like to use a lot of saturation for solos...

Well I don't really want to start a big debate over this.

It just sounds to me from Ethan's comments that I can relate to what he's saying.

I liked my UltraXL. My friend has an Ultra that I've played. I cant read/see what stock Module is in the 3rd slot there. but...

My guess is he's wanting to play some pretty heavy ****. Right Ethan? ;) That Ultra ain't gonna do it LoL

Edit: rblyn look where the gain is set on the right chan of that 5150

...but to answer what you were saying about turning up the gain too high and etc. a little bit. To me, if I have to turn the gain up past 1/2-3/4, and I still can't get the sound I'm looking for, there's a problem. I would never turn the gain up on anything past 3/4. If I did I'm sure it would sound like junk, and I'd be looking for something else to play through.

suphuckers said:
rblyn said:

Well I don't really want to start a big debate over this.

It just sounds to me from Ethan's comments that I can relate to what he's saying.

I liked my UltraXL. My friend has an Ultra that I've played. I cant read/see what stock Module is in the 3rd slot there. but...

My guess is he's wanting to play some pretty heavy s*&t. Right Ethan? ;) That Ultra ain't gonna do it LoL

Edit: rblyn look where the gain is set on the right chan of that 5150

...but to answer what you were saying about turning up the gain too high and etc. a little bit. To me, if I have to turn the gain up past 1/2-3/4, and I still can't get the sound I'm looking for, there's a problem. I would never turn the gain up on anything past 3/4. If I did I'm sure it would sound like junk, and I'd be looking for something else to play through.

yep I hear ya....Im not a super "heavy" player but get into Metallica/Pantera territory..>That's as heavy as I get...In terms of the Ultra, it is a bit lower gain than an XL...I just thought Ultra XL had a lot of gain...at least to my taste...Was thinking there might be something wrong with it. Im guessing he's got that right channel set up for his solos? Just a guess....What do you guys play? I mean, what bands are a good reference as to what you're looking for? I've never needed that much for what I do.

I'm dealing with some heavy personal issues, so I'm gonna have to leave a limited response. I'm old (probably not the oldest guy around here but...) For me think what Metallica/Pantera would play or sound like if they would have had better gear (or more tallent) lmao. Ever heard of DJent? well that's not what I play hahaha I play something more like DChunk LoL ...but then I usually follow it (or start it) with some really beautiful outerspace type sounding mellow **** ;) I dig the 5150 tho, and I bet I'd like to hear Ethan play by looking at his gear and reading his words. Of course ya never can tell whats gonna come outa someone's speakers hah. I got a 24yr old kid, and sometimes he shares some really crazy **** with me LoL

suphuckers said:
I'm dealing with some heavy personal issues, so I'm gonna have to leave a limited response. I'm old (probably not the oldest guy around here but...) For me think what Metallica/Pantera would play or sound like if they would have had better gear (or more tallent) lmao. Ever heard of DJent? well that's not what I play hahaha I play something more like DChunk LoL ...but then I usually follow it (or start it) with some really beautiful outerspace type sounding mellow s*&t ;) I dig the 5150 tho, and I bet I'd like to hear Ethan play by looking at his gear and reading his words. Of course ya never can tell whats gonna come outa someone's speakers hah. I got a 24yr old kid, and sometimes he shares some really crazy s*&t with me LoL

:D whoa...hold on..I guess Im old too then (my oldest daughter is 20). Seriously, everyone has their opinions- let's just say even though we may be close in age, we are way different in terms of taste/tone/evaluation of talent etc...All I will say is if you need a LOT of gain- You certainly can find it in MTS! You already said it on your previous post- Lots of modded modules will get Ethan what he's looking for!

Not to derail this thread, but a new one is born and old one dies.

Thanks suphuckers for the kind words. That Trilogy on more than 9 or 10 oclock was way too stupid gain for me. Same pretty much with the Erect.

So yeah with that and 18 months or so with me fooling with MTS I am done with MTS. Standby for MTS dump here and on Fleasebay for some really great mods for sale. No rush to sell either since I already have my new gear so yeah top dollar pricing to be expected. I am done giving away this stuff for the sake of a flip.

MTS is really awesome. Not awesome enough for me. I for sure will regret these choices in a month. :) Not really.

Thanks for the replies guys! I keep the gain pretty much dimed on the lead channels on the 5153 and Uber. Maybe 7-8 sometimes, there isn't much past that point really, just more noise, lol. And yes, I play some pretty heavy ****, Carcass and that kinda stuff. I love old Sabbath, old Punk like Discharge, 90's Thrash, Slayer, etc. And I'm old at 48, lol.

The Ultra module when dimed isn't bad, needs maybe 20% more gain if I had to guess. The Ultra XL sounds more like me, maybe this one can be modded to XL specs, I have some electronic experience. The amp sounds a little flubby in the low end dept to my ear, I'm using a tight sounding Bogner closed back 2x12 w/V30's. I read on here about some guys modding the input stage, sounded interesting.

Last, I got this RM100 from a guy that had an endorsement I think. He has another identical one that I can get. It had the 1086 (?) module, silver like mine. I was thinking about trying to get it from him. As you can see on mine, I have the XL, SL+ (not bad, sounds vaguely Marshally), and the Tread Plate. The Tread Plate really blows in my opinion, flubby and not enough gain. Does not sound like a Recto, I have an old 2 channel right here. It is supposed to sound like a Recto, right?

Ethan

Well I'll have you know that I have no issue cranking that Trilogy's gain knob to 3:30 LoL The thing I like about the Trilogy is all the switches ;) This SG Criminal has way more teeth than the Trilogy, but there are times when you/I wanna crank it back. There are LOTS of dif sounds that I can get out of the Trilogy. Right now I have the Trilogy in the #2 slot and the Criminal in the #3 slot. It's not my intention to keep it like that but it's fun for the time being. Sounds like Ethan better jump before he loses his chance at a great deal on an Erect ;)

ethanw said:
Thanks for the replies guys! I keep the gain pretty much dimed on the lead channels on the 5153 and Uber. Maybe 7-8 sometimes, there isn't much past that point really, just more noise, lol. And yes, I play some pretty heavy s*&t, Carcass and that kinda stuff. I love old Sabbath, old Punk like Discharge, 90's Thrash, Slayer, etc. And I'm old at 48, lol.

The Ultra module when dimed isn't bad, needs maybe 20% more gain if I had to guess. The Ultra XL sounds more like me, maybe this one can be modded to XL specs, I have some electronic experience. The amp sounds a little flubby in the low end dept to my ear, I'm using a tight sounding Bogner closed back 2x12 w/V30's. I read on here about some guys modding the input stage, sounded interesting.

Last, I got this RM100 from a guy that had an endorsement I think. He has another identical one that I can get. It had the 1086 (?) module, silver like mine. I was thinking about trying to get it from him. As you can see on mine, I have the XL, SL+ (not bad, sounds vaguely Marshally), and the Tread Plate. The Tread Plate really blows in my opinion, flubby and not enough gain. Does not sound like a Recto, I have an old 2 channel right here. It is supposed to sound like a Recto, right?

Ethan

Ethan-Yes, the Treadplate SUCKS!! My god, I have no idea what they were thinking when they made that one...There are some bad stock modules and that might be the worst of all...SL+ is pretty cool, especially if you can find a newer one (Black faceplates) If you have access to some stock modules to start, I would see if you bud has some of the signature modules- Mr Scary, Grail and the Judge (Lynch mods) are pretty **** good for stock. May not have enough gain for you though...1086 is the Dan Donegan (Disturbed) signature module...Its ok stock but I have a modded one that WAY better. Same base tone but a ton more clarity and balls. Super high gain modded modules will get you what you want...try the Breakneck (Uberschall mod by Sacred Groove) or the Angel E (Killer Engl tones done by Salvation mods) Those two are easily the best high gainers I've tried (and I've played most everything out there. There's a lot of posts on the forum about those two- do a search). There's some others of note too- The Criminal (Sacred Groove) Mamba (Framus Cobra -Salvation) Dreadplate (Recto mod Salvation) and suphuckers mentioned the JF Erect (Recto mod)...that was the best mod I've played from Jaded Faith- oh and I almost forgot the S150 (5150 mod by Salvation) All of those are really high gain but much, much clearer with more punch than any of the stock mods. All of the Salvation and Sacred Groove stuff can be ordered at motorcitymods.com or salvationmods.com has his own but with a longer lead time (coming from Europe). Good luck with the MTS stuff and welcome aboard! You already have two NICE amps that do the high gain stuff as well as anything...I know you're playing some stock stuff now- you might be surprised how good the MTS modded stuff can get...