Never being satisfied. What's with me?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll bet if I plug in my Good old Trusty Boss GX-700 after 10 years, I'll find myself discovering tones that put any of my other preamps to shame

But those other preamps don't carry any shame, it's just my ears that grow accustomed to their character after a while, making any thing else sound 'fresh'

So I'll bet as well that I'll realise after a few weeks how processed and bland the tone on that GX-700 actually is

Well, I just bought a Mark V. I couldn't bring myself to get the digital modeling stuff. And with all my Marshall based mods, I don't need the PT100. Someone, please buy my Salvation MarkUS- I don't need it anymore ;)

Lets hear some comparison clips of the Mark V and the Markus before you sell it off!

reprimand said:
the mesa Mark V is a great amp and they are coming down in used prices a bit finally. It is a tweakers delight if that is what you are interested with all the various switches power options routing and graphic EQ it puts the Mark 4 to shame. I never could gel with the Mark 4's and the 3' could get alot of different tones but you had to turn so many knobs and pull out all the switches and then pretty much stay in the one sound for the whole song.
While the axe fx's sound great as well you may be playing with the parameters more than you play your giutar thru it. modeling stuff can be great but you have to put time into the programming of your patches to get the most benefit out of them.

If you do sell your MTS stuff though I call dibs on the camerock :wink:

Every so often, I get a PM with someone wanting to buy my Camerock. Its not for sale. Its never going to be for sale. Its too cool :)

Mattfig said:
JD said:
Lets hear some comparison clips of the Mark V and the Markus before you sell it off!

I agree! I would love a side by side comparison...Even if it's just a minute...:)

Pretty please???

How close is it BTW?

How ya healing up by the way?

I can walk with a limp now, so the foot is getting better day by day.Still, I don't think I'll be kickboxing any time soon ;) Thanks for asking.

As for how they compare... Well the Mark V is in the mail, but from what I've played, I think the Salvation tracks notes just a tad bit faster than the Mesa. The Boogie does a better Marshall sound on Channel 2 Crunch mode. Both have great cleans, but the boogie has more tonal options. As for high gain, its a toss up between the two. I think the boogie does the Santana MKI thing better than the Salvo. The Graphic EQ on the Mark V boogie adds options that just aren't available on the Salvation. I'll try and post a clip if I can.

it has begun!

485986_706610799805_1876916966_n.jpg

Rossness, I think you have set yourself on a dangerous path that will find you comparing and preferring the real amp to the replica module!

I've had the mark V for a day and so far here's what I think. I've been A/B ing it with the Salvation Mark US

It's very touch sensitive. More so than any MTS module. I think that has more to do with the power amp, but I could be wrong.

-The cleans on channel 1 seem to be better than any module I've played.

The MarkV sounds HUGE!!!!!

-Notes are extremely clear and articulate no matter what channel I'm on.

-The amp is very hard to dial in. The Graphic EQ is great, but adds to the amps complexity to dial in.

-While the V30 speakers do add some great
low end, I like the stock speaker in the combo better for my style of sound. Its a little more articulate with a better top end

-The amps does not have as much gain as I'm used to. The Mark US module has WAY more gain than the MarkV in Extreme mode on channel 3.

-The Salvation Module tracks notes much faster (almost in a VHT like Way) than the MarkV. The Mesa still tracks notes fast, but the Salvo is just on another level.

- The Mesa feels a little more fender-ish and the Salvation feels a little more marshall-ish.

There's more sag when Using the salvation

The MTS system sounds nice at lower volumes, the Mark V has to be at a higher volume to sound great

-Overall if I had to compare them, Id say The Mark V has less gain better cleans and great touch sensitivity. The Salvation is better for high gain and tracks notes faster. It is also very easy to dial in.

I'm still split on what to do. I like the Mark V, but I wish it had more gain, especially on channel 2. I like how clear notes sound, but it can sound a little treble rich. On the other hand, the slavo rules for gained out playing and is much easier to dial in. I still need a few days, but It's crossed my mind that maybe I should put the Mesa on Ebay if I decide to keep the Salvo. The module really is that good :D If I do, maybe I'll see if bruce has a spare M4 laying around. Having an amp to compare to my MTS system makes me appreciate the MTS world just a tad bit more.

Still, its only been a day or so and I need a little more time to decide on which one I'll keep.

Good review.. I also find MTS to pack more gain than the amps they replicate but that can be a good thing for some.

As for wishing there was more gain, TS-9 or cheap ZW-44 is your friend!

Kapo_Polenton said:
Good review.. I also find MTS to pack more gain than the amps they replicate but that can be a good thing for some.

As for wishing there was more gain, TS-9 or cheap ZW-44 is your friend!

I also should have mentioned, the markV takes pedals very well, but when boosting, it changes the amps dynamics a little.

VitaminG said:
that's understandable. Dynamics are how an amp reacts to differences in incoming signal. Boosted, everything is LOUDER

Is there a pedal I could run in the FX loop that would only add gain, without atlering the signal- kind of like an extra gain stage?

As a Mark V owner of several years with many rehearsals and gigs under my belt with it, here are some observations that might help:

- The Mark V is lower gain than many assume, particularly those who have never played one but envy the tones of their favorite players who do. I have found a clean boost to be the most effective option for pushing mine when needed.

- The early channel EQ freaks a lot of people out, as most are used to the post-gain tone stacks in most high gain amps. The channel EQ is like running a parametric pedal in front of the amp more than the EQ's you are used to. As a result, it shapes the "color" of the gain more than the tone of the amp. The Treble will be the dominant control by far and impacts the amount of gain available. The Mid and Bass knobs will have a minimal effect.

- The slider EQ is post gain and should be used as a conventional channel EQ would to sculpt the tone. The options to use the sliders and the preset knobs along with the routing options give great flexibility for all the channels to be dialed in to taste.

- Do note the odd behaviors of the effects loop and the impact the setting that the mix pot can have. It could be a good tool to give you a little something more even if you aren't using anything in the loop.

Hope that helps!

Rob

Jaded Faith said:
As a Mark V owner of several years with many rehearsals and gigs under my belt with it, here are some observations that might help:

- The Mark V is lower gain than many assume, particularly those who have never played one but envy the tones of their favorite players who do. I have found a clean boost to be the most effective option for pushing mine when needed.

- The early channel EQ freaks a lot of people out, as most are used to the post-gain tone stacks in most high gain amps. The channel EQ is like running a parametric pedal in front of the amp more than the EQ's you are used to. As a result, it shapes the "color" of the gain more than the tone of the amp. The Treble will be the dominant control by far and impacts the amount of gain available. The Mid and Bass knobs will have a minimal effect.

- The slider EQ is post gain and should be used as a conventional channel EQ would to sculpt the tone. The options to use the sliders and the preset knobs along with the routing options give great flexibility for all the channels to be dialed in to taste.

- Do note the odd behaviors of the effects loop and the impact the setting that the mix pot can have. It could be a good tool to give you a little something more even if you aren't using anything in the loop.

Hope that helps!

Rob

I went over to the boogie board and got some settings for the amp, got it mostly dialed in.

In short, the boogie has a clearer more articulate, 3D sound. The clean channel is phenomenal! The other two channels leave something to be desired, at least to me. The crunch mode on channel 2 has a little too much bite. While the amp has better feel than an MTS series amp, I don't like the way channel 3 responds to my playing. I'm also finding the amp to be a little honkey sounding. At this point, while it pains me to say it, I think I'm going to keep the Mark US and sell the Boogie.

... BUt, I do like how channel 2, MKI mode sounds for fat leads. I wonder if rob could duplicate it for me in a module?

I see that the Mesa is a combo amp so I imagine that it's an open back.
What are you running the MTS thru? is it a head and a Closed-back cabinet.
The Mesa will sound bigger because the open back cabinet will fill the room.

either way good luck and good tone!

LRStrat said:
I see that the Mesa is a combo amp so I imagine that it's an open back.
What are you running the MTS thru? is it a head and a Closed-back cabinet.
The Mesa will sound bigger because the open back cabinet will fill the room.

either way good luck and good tone!

I have a mesa 2x12 recto cab w/ celestion Vintage 30's speakers
I have an EVH 4x12 w/ Celestion Heritage EVH-back speakers

As with all Boogies you need to open it up to get the sounds you that you probably have in your head.

The Mark V sounds pretty good at low volume (for a Boogie, much better that my IIC+ which sounds so-so till you get the master over half!) but I don?t use mine below 11 on the master, even if that means running through an attenuator ;-)

Try it out - you will see what I mean :)

I woke up at about 3:30 am this morning and until 10 am, I've been a/b nig the Salvo and boogie at low-ish volumes. I feel like I'm playing to completly different amps. The boogie is Uber touch sensitive. It has an uber-awesome clean channel. It takes a delay really well. I have the reverb on mine cranked and I don't find it to be too much. It gives the amp some nice depth. Around 6am this morning I got channel 2, crunch mode dialed in and I'm boosting it with my Visual sound J&H pedal. It nails the 1980's thing. It's deep and bright, without being overly harsh. Without the boost, I can get some classic rock tones. Channel 3 I don't have dialed in yet. It sounds a little honky to me. In all honesty, I think the lack of gain the mark v has, contributes to some of these tones. I had the amp on Egay and just pulled my ad. I'm going to keep it a bit longer.

I'm reluctant to sell the salvo. It has a sound I haven't found in the boogie, which is this heavy beast of a sound. Much like a Seymour Duncan JB pickup, this module had an awesome upper midrange bite. It makes me smile when I play leads on it. It's also not honky, like the boogie (that's a good thing). I think it excels at high gain. It also does clean tones really well.

The Rossness said:
I woke up at about 3:30 am this morning and until 10 am, I've been a/b nig the Salvo and boogie at low-ish volumes. I feel like I'm playing to completly different amps. The boogie is Uber touch sensitive.

Though this must also be inherent to the Mesa's poweramp
have you tried running different tubes in the module and Amp V1
(or even better, running the Mesa tubes in your MTS setup?)

Latest posts