New to the MTS club - 1st module recommendations?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kojdogg

Reaction score
I just bought a Randall RM50 off of ebay w/o any modules. Any recommendations on where to start? The only other amp I have right now is an Orange Tiny Terror with the Jule Amps mod.
I'd like to end up with a couple of clean modules and a couple of good heavy ones. I'm also a modaholic, so I can definitely see going that route either up front or down the road.
Any recommendations on a good, versatile module to start with? I'm hoping to pick up a couple ASAP, but I just bought an SG too. Better yet, anyone want to sell me my first MTS module? :D

JKD said:
What kind of music do you want to play?
pretty versatile-- no country, no hardcore/death metal or screamo, but many shades in between. i tend to stay in the classic to heavy modern rock territory, but i love to play blues and funk as well.

The Ultra XL will do anything with high gain.. rhythm or lead. I'd check into that if you're looking for an aggressive tone. The Blackface is great for cleans, and the SL+ with the JCM800 mod nails the Marshall tone with lots of gain.

well, after reading posts here I looked around and found a decent deal on a used Brahma, so I went with that. I will be getting it modded ASAP too.
Thanks!

kojdogg said:
well, after reading posts here I looked around and found a decent deal on a used Brahma, so I went with that. I will be getting it modded ASAP too.
Thanks!

That + an OD pedal should have your bases covered, UltraXL is way too metal I think for what you said. :twisted:

SL+ or Plexi to start. I have some samples of the Plexi in the Rigs & Tones section.

well, i have #1-- a brahma, that should be here on friday (and hopefully out to be modded asap). any suggestions on #2? looking for something clean. any strong feelings about the various shades of fender? can the topboost with the appropriate gain adjustment mods cut it?

thanks for all of the suggestions!

Here's my clean rundown:

The consesus will say Blackface and I totally agree
killer mod, stock out of the box, I love it with a variety of different guitars as well

Deluxe is cool but more country spanky
TopBoost is said not to be a clean module, can get cleaner with a tube switch, but not my recommended target for a "clean" module
Tweed is cool for dirty SRV stuff, but not crystal clean
I like the PeteJTM on my neckpickup with the tone down for huge clean low end jazz
and Clean?...100s of post against and only 2 or 3 posts like it so I never even tried it

The one I never tried and would like to is the KH1....

One warning: earlier silverface mods may need a modification to clean it up. If you're incapable of modifying (like me) play it safe and get a Blackstripe version (silverface with a blackstripe running across the top)

I agree with about 98% or everything Ray just posted, except the Clean and Top Boost. I think we have almost the exact same modules as well, including the Pete mods.

I have a Clean that was originally mine, went to Pete in a trade for work and bought it back after he modded it in yet another deal. I dug it before and it's even better now. It doesn't have a lot of personality, so if you like the flavor of different Fenders, you may not dig it. But after Pete tweaked it, it reminds me a lot of a Silverface Fender.

I recently got a Top Boost and plugged away at it with my soldering iron last weekend. WOW! I love this thing now. Chimey cleans that make me want to start playing Beatles and Petty licks and it can get just dirty enough on it's own for some real fun. Takes a OD great and it was 2 hours of playing before I stopped! O used to have an Egnater VX and this module now SMOKES it.

Jaded Faith said:
I recently got a Top Boost and plugged away at it with my soldering iron last weekend. WOW! I love this thing now. Chimey cleans that make me want to start playing Beatles and Petty licks and it can get just dirty enough on it's own for some real fun. Takes a OD great and it was 2 hours of playing before I stopped! O used to have an Egnater VX and this module now SMOKES it.

What mods did you do to the Top Boost?

Removed a few cap, replaced a few others, changed out a few resistors and changed the values on a few of them...but that's all from memory without having it right here in front of me to look at.

kojdogg

I have a top boost for sale, but haven't posted enough to warrant classified ads on this board. Have platinum status at HC and a perfect ebay record. LMK if u are interested. Thanks.

jmgruber said:
kojdogg

I have a top boost for sale, but haven't posted enough to warrant classified ads on this board. Have platinum status at HC and a perfect ebay record. LMK if u are interested. Thanks.

thanks for the offer, but i just bought another module here. i suspect it won't be too long before i'm ready for my next module though...