new ultra xls/ultra xl settings

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donmecka36

Reaction score
on wednesday I finally got my amp back from being fixed.I was very impressed with ultra xls when I first turned on my amp.it pretty much nailed the sound that I wanted.but it still needs some tweaking.the modules are suprisely really really tight sounding.I really like that it has tons of gain.my only problem with it is the upper mids need to be brighter.I am still messing around with preamp tubes.does anyone have any good setting that I could try?my current settings are:

gain:2-3 o'clock
bass:1 o'clock
mids:noon
highs:4-5 o'clock
level:9 o'clock
bright:eek:ff

master volume:2 o'clock
presence:5 o'clock
density:7-8 o'clock

I use e34ls with 4x12 cab with g12-t75s.I also use thd hotplate.
are my gain setting really high? because I get a lot of hum from those settings.I play heavy metal.
thanks.

i have something similar, I used the exact setting from the website that has clips of all the randall modules. I found that lowering the gain, and boosting it with a tubescreamer makes it the ultimate metal sound. But I have a Mesa 4x12 with V30's.

in o'clock's

Gain: 1
Low : 2
Mid: 0 ( :twisted: )
High: 1
Level: 12
Presence: 2
Density: 2

Tubescreamer
Drive: none
Level: Maxed
Tone: to taste

Master at noon

It chug's like a german at oktoberfest!!!!!!!!!!!

those 2 settings sound dramatically different with that module which is cool but as far as presence and density go keep the presence around 2- 3 o' clock and the density around 9-10 o' clock. imo anyway.

Just messin' with ya. How well does the guitar tone project at gigs though with all the mids scooped? I let another band play through my randall, kid was probably early 20s and just scooped all the mids immediately.

My high gain tone that night while he was playing sounded like a bee farting. Sounded good on it's own, but like crap once the band came in.

Pete

sucking the mids down to 0 o'clock worked well in the 80s when there were no hi gain amps that could give you Metallica chainsaw, so you had to do those crazy eq settings. I can't imagine that being a good option these days

okstrat said:
My high gain tone that night while he was playing sounded like a bee farting. Sounded good on it's own, but like crap once the band came in.

:lol: LMAO, I know what you mean. Some guys just hate mids and it annoys the hell out of me playing with them because some compensate by turning there volume up ever louder.