New year wish: Bass modules

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ulf

Reaction score
This has been wished for before, I know. I still think, an RM4 with a powerful power amp will make a nice bass solution. We should have an Ampeg Preamp.
What do you think?

Anthony (Salvation) had an Ampeg module complete I believe like a year or more ago. Just hasn't publicly released it. I'd send him a message :)

I use my 59RR and Plexi-Tweed for bass tones all the time, although that's more "Lemmy" than Ampeg. I always wondered if I loaded an RM100 with KT88s or 6550s and got three mods tailored to bass, if it would ever have enough clean headroom to cut it as a true bass amp.

I guess you could always get an RM4 and run it through a big solid state power amp...or better yet...a big tube Mesa like a Strategy 400. I bet that would kick ***.

Actually I think this would be really bada$$. Fender Bassman, Orange ADxxxB, Ampeg, lots of tube bass amps out there that run $3k+...not to mention all of the hybrids that use tube preamp section...so whether using tube (yeah!) or solid state poweramp, you could get a whole lot of flexibility using modular preamps...where you at rob!

One of my favorite bass amps has always been the Fender Showman. Years ago, someone told me that the showman was basically a Twin w/o reverb. I have never used anything MTS live on bass, but I have done a ton of recording with modules. My favorite is the JF SuperClean. It is nice and clean and very warm. If you want a little grit out of it, it is a smooth, warm kind of grit, not unlike an Ampeg. I have a VooDoo Twin mod, but it was distorting way early and have sent it back to Trace to be looked at. I had a Blackface module, but they never did get the fender vibe right in the stock module. theoretically though, if the Twin and Showman were the same amp, a well modded blackface should kick some serious bass ***.

I actually started on a prototype Ampeg module last year around February and haven't had the time to finish since. Anyone seriously interested check out the "How a new mod is born" thread in my section of the forum and email me.
Rob