Newbie question - Opening a can of worms

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alboz28

Reaction score
Ok I apologize in advanced for this topic - but I have owned my RM4 set up for a few months now. I went from a Mesa Studio Preamp to the RM4 and have the BlackFace - Plexi - Mr Scary and Grail modules. I am running a G Major 2 through the effects loop and a Mesa 2:90 Power amp - and 2 Recto 2x12 cabinets with a mix of V30's and ET-65's. My boost of choice is a Keeley modified Tube Screamer with a 3 way clipping switch.
Anyway with my current setup I have everything covered from Fender clean to vintage Marshall to a Soldano to a Dual Recto tone. With the Tube Screamer engaged it takes these modules into yet another level of tonal bliss.
However most of you guys on the forum are running modded modules in your set ups and my controversial question becomes, What am I missing by not having my modules modified? Example - Should I be running a Salvado Deluxe instead of the Mr Scary? or a Mash-All instead of a Plexi?

I mean I hear a lot of descriptions of clarity, depth and openess, but maybe some one could post some A/B comparisons from stock to mod.

I certainly am interested in the MatchVox and Lone Clean type tones which I know are only available through the custom guys, but I really need help to determine what I am missing out on...
I know some of you will say - If it sounds good to you leave it alone, but at this point I need to know what direction to go. I feel kinda left out without any modded modules...Thanks in advance

Honestly, the best way to answer this is to start doing your best to get a hold of some modded modules. I am still pretty new to MTS, but have owned 2 mods from Gigmods, one from JF, one from DF, and one from Salvation with one more on the way, along with a few stock modules. Playing the various modders mods has helped me develop a taste for what they are capable of and which mods I tend to like. Just buy up as many as you can, try them out, and sell the ones that don't mesh with you

Well for me the step from standard modules to modded modules was almost as big as from my previous amp to the Randall..
There's a difference that you may not be able to point out as easily, but in general I'd say there's just a higher quality sound.
More open, defined, usable depth (usable being an important word there) etc.

I can't really give you any one on one comparisons since I don't have any modules that match (ie plexi - Mash-all).

I can really only copy reqhuiem in saying: try them out.
I wouldn't say go completely crazy though, most of the modded modules are also much more versatile, especially the Salvation Mods are loaded with options.
So choose one that you think will fit you and take some time to get to know it, then based on that experience choose the path you want to walk ;)

My recommendation based on your current modules: Sloogie
It's a fully tricked out Salvado, with the following options:
- 3 way Recto / scooped(Engl-ish) / Soldano voicing
- Crunch / Drive channels
- Bite switch (with led indication, functional on all channels/voicings)
- Gate
- 3-way tight switch: Tight/normal/loose
- Special Soldano/Boogie looks designed specifically for me and by me but available to you :)
Of course you can also spec a Salvado to this level, I really recommend you check out what options appeal to you.

This module gives you a Recto and an SLO sound at the flick of a switch, add the other options to the mix and you can sculpt your sound to an insane extend ;)
Don't be afraid to ask Anthony or any users on here when choosing mods!

Assuming your mods are somewhat recent- Randall always upgrades their mods-your 4 current modules are fine choices.This is compared to basically every other stock module that can be muddy and really needs an upgrading. Especially the Blackface- older versions really need a few changes.

Rather than trying to get modded versions of the tones you have, maybe get some pro mods that aren't in your arsenal- Orange, Mamba (the ultimate super-recto), Tweed (if you have a Strat), VHT

The worms are out my friend

I love my modded modules. With that being said, my stock black face SL+ rotates between my #1 and #2 gain module.

The bottom line is as follows. If you think your stuff sounds awesome then don't change it. I went the mod route because i felt the stock modules were 2 dimensional and boring for the music i play. But there are many players far better than i who love the stock stuff. If you find yourself dissatisfied in the future then yeah look at some mods. But do some homework first. I spent close to a year listening to various soundclips and reading this forum religiously before i decided to get what i got. Nothing wrong with being sure before you jump in.

Peace, Joshua

You'll probably come to the conclusion that there is no wrong or right way to go about this process your are about to undertake. That's part of the beauty (IMO) opinion with the MTS stuff - there are so many variables, and IMHO, the best way (and the way I chose) is to sample as many modules as you possibly can - spend time with them, get to know them - and see how they work with your playing style and your gear setup. You can listen to all the sound clips you like, but unless they are playing with the same power amp, same effects unit, same guitar, etc as you, then the sound you get may be wildly different.

There was a single Signature mod that I wouldn't recommend...maybe a partial exception was the KH-2 where I always felt the need to kick it with a boost to tighten :)

If you're running away from Signature mods thinking something else will be night and day then you might set your expectations too high and it can be an expensive proposition...I probably had $5k in modded modules at one point.

There's certainly an argument that a lot of modules can be dialed in to sound similar .. definitely on recordings and even in the room but may or may not have a different feel or work better with certain guitars.

I think I only own one stock module - an Ultra...and even on that I had to change the input resistor and C3 (It was an old silver face module with a very high bass cap value and changing R1 improves clarity.)

I've been through a lot of modules a) because I'm a filthy *****, b) grass is always greener right? and c) because I could.

One of the fun thing about the modded modules are voicing changes and features that are not available on the stock ones...you get the option to go "What if that one had a little more gain or thicker sound for when I use my Tele?" etc.

I think everyone nailed it when they said you have to try a few and decide for yourself.

Me..I've been gradually working my way down to a set of core modules...I still get the same GAS pain when I see new stuff and even sold a killer piece or two to get back to where I need to be financially....

Thanks everyone, I truly appreciate the feedback and advice - I guess it comes down to me trying to avoid suffering "Obessive Compulsive Module Syndrome"
I have been running away from it since I purchased the RM4, so I think I will try easing into some modified modules one step at a time.

alboz28 said:
Thanks everyone, I truly appreciate the feedback and advice - I guess it comes down to me trying to avoid suffering "Obessive Compulsive Module Syndrome"
I have been running away from it since I purchased the RM4, so I think I will try easing into some modified modules one step at a time.

Good choice. Also, don't overlook boosting the stock modules to get great tones too. One of my favorite tweaks is to add a 5751 into the V1 of the high gain modules (stock or modded) to reduce noise and increase the usuable range on the gain knob.

Don't forget that the modded usually comes with a gate so you don't need a noise gate.I'm going to try new modded moduals and get rid of the decimator.Alot of the stock moduals don't have a gate and if you get into the higher gain moduals they can get quite noisy

walshinator666 said:
Don't forget that the modded usually comes with a gate so you don't need a noise gate.I'm going to try new modded moduals and get rid of the decimator.Alot of the stock moduals don't have a gate and if you get into the higher gain moduals they can get quite noisy

:?: :?

I didn't find this to be the case, even with stock modules. I find that to be a real strength of mts, no need for a gate....unless you're jamming the volume waaaaay higher than a smallish room can handle?

The greatest thing for me so far has been the journey. I started with 3 stock Eggies (VX, BMAN, COD) then added 4 Randall's (Deluxe, Blackface, Brown, Treadplate) and an EG3. Deluxe and EG3 have been modded by Rob (Jaded Faith). His mods are relatively inexpensive and turnaround time is quick. If you know what you want him to do (less bass, more gain, etc) this is a very affordable and low stress way to go. This being said, I do plan to send at least one out to Anthony. I may also send one to Jeff Hilligan to get Scorch-ed.

No easy answer as to whether it's something for you. If you are dissatisfied in any way with any of them it is worth it IMO. I was going to get rid of my Deluxe but getting it modded made a huge difference. My modded EG3 gets the most use by far.

My journey, although recent, has been thorough...I thought I'd be happy with the stock modules...And for some, I am...Of course I subscribe to the philosophy of if it works for you, don't change it...Having said that, the modded modules I have are far better than what I started with for what I'm doing- using it as strictly a recording rig...Salvation Mods are my fave but Pete, Jaded Faith, and some others all do amazing work...If you have any specific questions about any of the modules I have, I'd be happy to answer...Just PM me....

Latest posts